Skip to content

Match day thread: Dagenham & Redbridge

2»

Comments

• @Keith_Allens_Wig Disagree about McGinn, didn't do much first half but looked quite lively after the break, at least got a few shots away. Very disappointed with Paul Hayes so far this season, contributed little today. Sam Wood has been similarly quiet so far, but thought he perked up second half today.

• Bean was due a poor game but Wood seems to be having a bad one every week. McGinn is far too lightweight and slow and I would rather see O'Nien.

• @mooneyman said:
    McGinn is far too lightweight and slow and I would rather see O'Nien.

I take it you weren't at Barnet then.

• New centre half very poor indeed. Would have liked to see Sido move into centre half and Harriman to full back much earlier. That said, he is very young and deserves another shot, particularly as we have limited alternative options.

We actually played ok in my view. Certainly deserved a point and on another day other chances may have fallen for us.

Disagree also about Bean, who's was again one of our better players. Along with Sido, Thompson and Pierre he has been among our top performers in the first few games.

McClure took his chance excellently.

Still extremely happy with our start to the season.

• @Keith_Allens_Wig said:
    And further to that, the prat of a steward who held onto the ball for ages then just dropped it onto the pitch - allowing the Dagenham keeper to take ages to get it, should be reprimanded

Bit harsh .I think he thought they were getting a new ball or something. In fairness the goal kick did lead to the red card!

• First half was pretty poor , long ball shit with no midfield . Hayes was not at the races today but their centre backs did have a good game . Is it me or does Wood seem to be carrying a bit of extra timber ? second half I thought McGinn was a lot better , they played it through midfield and a vast improvement . Way to early to discount McGinn in my opinion . For me he showed glimpses in the second half that he could be a very tidy player for us . To be fair Ainsworth has said publicly what we all know which is that we had no midfield first half . I get worried when managers don't acknowledge the obvious flaw. New guy had a shitter , I pray he is better than we saw today . Good noise from the terrace and what a header from Pierre !/ Also I have the up most respect for Ainsworth to have the bottle too take his captain off . Some managers would not have done that .

• Just remember Pierre is legend. He could easily become or greatest ever player in the football league era. Lets celebrate what he has done this week

• I agree with the comment about Pierre..he could become an all time Wycombe great.

• Matt McClure didn't get any stick until he got sent off, at which point some group of idiots in the Valley End started up with the imaginative 'Hey Matt McClure, I wanna know why you're such a c***'. Embarrassing. He had the decency not to celebrate his goal and didn't leave the club à la Beavon, so that chant was uncalled for. I'm getting sick of hearing it sung for any player who once played for Wycombe and then had the temerity to leave.

• Almost fell asleep first half awful game.got a bit better after subs were made. And thank god for pierre.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Banton reminded me of Joel Grant when he first came here - nice touch and could beat a full-back with trickery or raw pace. He also put in some very good balls from both flanks and almost scored cutting on from the left and shooting from 20 yards, but seemed to get a little disheartened by not having made an immediate impact. Joel Grant got better once he developed a steelier side and a determination to keep trying if at first he didn't succeed, Banton could really make an impact if he could improve in this way too I feel.

Banton nearly scored, he put three ot four decent crosses in and he played about 20 minutes, compared with Wood who's shot just missed a seagull and made no decent crosses at all, took on noone and will more than likely start at Crawley. So why not start Sellers or Banton ?

1st half was dire, alot of industry but nothing sublime. Need wingers to feed the forwards not JJ who if misconnects then is scrambling to get back into position and ends up getting carded.

• @QuarteredChair said:
    Matt McClure didn't get any stick until he got sent off, at which point some group of idiots in the Valley End started up with the imaginative 'Hey Matt McClure, I wanna know why you're such a c***'. Embarrassing. He had the decency not to celebrate his goal and didn't leave the club à la Beavon, so that chant was uncalled for. I'm getting sick of hearing it sung for any player who once played for Wycombe and then had the temerity to leave.

Right. That was the kind of treatment I was expecting of McClure, sadly. Pathetic and unjustified, but what can you do.

• What we have to remember is that 3 of our key players are the wrong side of 30 and 5 games in 15 days will have left them pretty drained. More worrying is Sam Wood's lack of form, so far he is a world away from the player he was last year and in my view it can't be long before Sellers gets the nod over him.

• Still a fantastic start to the season...mclure was always going to score yetsterday!! The next couple of days are massive, I think Woods is fantastic and one of my favourite players however I would give him a breather and try sellers who looks hungry, I think banton should be given a star also. Any ideas on how long Rowe and Stewart are out for? We need Hayes and he makes us tick (granted not so far this season)

• *games not days!

• Ainsworth seemed to indicate yesterday came just a bit too soon for Stewart. That hopefully means a possible return next week for him. Rowe's injury is a tough one to call.

• There are players who play well and then benched, but there are players who have a bad game and you bet your cotton socks they will start.

• Loved the scenes after pierre scored celebrating with the young ballboy picking him up and swinging him round in celebration, then he gave him a high five at the final whistle, class!

• It's gone viral apparently!

• @MBS said:
    I agree with the comment about Pierre..he could become an all time Wycombe great.

If he keeps performing like he is at the moment I'm afraid he won't be around long enough to become an "all time legend"

• Didn't notice at the match (made it yesterday) but watching the player highlights, their manager refuses to come and shake Ainsworth's hand. Gareth walks towards him, realises Burnett isn't going to make the effort then obviously think 'obscenity you' and leaves.

Got to love how viral little Taylor has gone, another step toward legend for Pierre.

• Given the fact that he's become a real talisman for Wycombe, I think it's high time we nicknamed him Lucky Pierre.

• I was disappointed in the second half in particular that Harriman, before he dropped back and Banton, both had acres of space on the right and no-one was passing to them.
    What is the point of playing through the middle against a team defending with all of their players! Wood seemed out of it for me and we were lucky that second goal was not given. I like Harriman and Banton and I think Banton looks lively and dangerous and needs a few games. New centre-back was quite weak and poor I thought. Luckily, theres only one Pierre. Got out of jail.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I was disappointed in the second half in particular that Harriman, before he dropped back and Banton, both had acres of space on the right and no-one was passing to them.
    What is the point of playing through the middle against a team defending with all of their players! Wood seemed out of it for me and we were lucky that second goal was not given. I like Harriman and Banton and I think Banton looks lively and dangerous and needs a few games. New centre-back was quite weak and poor I thought. Luckily, theres only one Pierre. Got out of jail.

Must of sat in the same block. Totally agree with your thoughts and comments and also the other thread on how you saw the game.

Hoofing it was dire guess and hope. We got no change from that pattern until we tried to play it on the deck ( McClure sending off helped I know), Yes a few got caught with the ball at their feet or cocked up their intended pass but that's fine there was a purpose to play football. Hopefully after 20 minutes into the games of high intensity and energy will can knock the ball around a bit more ?