Skip to content

Preview: Wycombe v Coventry

edited December 2019 in Football

Official club preview says "Gareth Ainsworth hopes to welcome Dominic Gape, Curtis Thompson and ex-Sky Blue Jack Grimmer back into the squad..." - but who knows? Here's my usual: https://chairboyscentral.com/2019/12/28/preview-wycombe-v-coventry/

Comments

• Nailed on draw.

• I'd take that now tbh.

• Team for tomorrow: Hyde, Cousins, Evans, Horton, Kerr, Crossley, Ryan, Carroll, Scott, Guppy, Hutchinson. Subs: Hayrettin, Hemmings.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Team for tomorrow: Hyde, Cousins, Evans, Horton, Kerr, Crossley, Ryan, Carroll, Scott, Guppy, Hutchinson. Subs: Hayrettin, Hemmings.

Rumour has it we are signing Miguel Desouza in time for the game

• Good to hear those players may be back, crucial components of our side. Hope it's not playing silly buggers and throwing the oppo off scent and they are genuinely close.

• Jack G travelling down from Aberdeen today, that feels like a bench warmers move to me.

• Freeman back to the bench? In your preview @chairboyscentral, you indicate culpability one of Portsmouth’s goals (confess I didn’t spot that) and his passing was perhaps not quite up to his usual standard but I know you are as much of an admirer as I am and I wondered if you were reflecting GA’s seeming reluctance, more often than not, to play him from the start rather than your own preference.

The personnel in midfield and defence tomorrow really are anyone’s guess until 2pm but I would be very surprised if either Gape or Thompson will be risked, particularly in the light of the former’s early breakdown at Oxford.

Could this be the match to feature Fred (on the bench at least) for the first time since September ? What a boost that would be.
    And I wouldn’t be surprised if Josh Parker finally gets a chance.

• “...culpability for one of Portsmouth’s goals...”.

• edited December 2019

Nah, I'm just accepting of the fact that Blooms is higher up the pecking order - which, given the season he's having, it's hard to argue with, as much as I'm an ardent member of the Nick Freeman Fan Club.

• So we could have what would seem a very strong midfield four of Smyth, Bloomfield, Ofobohr and Aarons (reading from right to left). Kashket and Bayo up front. Yes, I like the sound of that!
    Night all.

• Intrigued as to our line up today, can't wait for those team sheets to be handed out in the Vere.

Either way three points would be nice, to reverse the two game losing run and break the hoodoo we seem to have with Coventry.

2-1 Wycombe. COYB

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Intrigued as to our line up today, can't wait for those team sheets to be handed out in the Vere.

Either way three points would be nice, to reverse the two game losing run and break the hoodoo we seem to have with Coventry.

2-1 Wycombe. COYB

Re ‘team sheets’; brought a young first time fan to AP pre Christmas, he was horrified at ‘all that waste paper, doesn’t everyone check the line up on their phones?’. Perhaps the Gasroom isn’t the most woke/snowflake audience, but doesn’t the lad have a point? Screen working in the ground, WiFi working etc. so is it time to ‘bin’ the teamsheets?
    nb: don’t shoot the messenger!

• edited December 2019

I agree, still useful for commentators, reporters etc. but otherwise unnecessary these days.

• @perfidious_albion I agree, we should make the team sheets "virtual" problem is and has always been that the ground, particularly the Vere is in a Bermuda Triangle when it comes to phone signal.... Also I was never able to connect to the wifi at the ground, if that was sorted (Rob are you listening?) and we could be more sustainable and get rid of the paper waste....

....until then crank up the copier.

• Had no idea they were distributed en masse in the Vere/Caledonian Suite. We get a couple per table in the Woodland (so not INXS). As an ardent recyclophile that disappoints me but I expect there’d be outrage if distribution ceased.

On the subject of recycling, does anyone have any (polite!) suggestions for recycling of matchday programmes - I think they are too “glossy” for normal paper recycling. My current “stock” is nearly all for the last half dozen seasons (if that). I took a hamper full of programmes, many dating back decades. to Alan Hutchinson at the training ground five or six years ago and they generated a lot of interest, particularly from Dobbo, as there were a few from my Wealdstone supporting days.

I’m not sure recent programmes are as collectible but anyone interested please DM me. Free to collector.

• @micra I'm missing a few from the promotion season, not sure if you have any from then you were looking to offload?

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    @perfidious_albion I agree, we should make the team sheets "virtual" problem is and has always been that the ground, particularly the Vere is in a Bermuda Triangle when it comes to phone signal.... Also I was never able to connect to the wifi at the ground, if that was sorted (Rob are you listening?) and we could be more sustainable and get rid of the paper waste....

....until then crank up the copier.

I spoke to the chap who is looking at the wifi situation at AP (on behalf of the company he works for who now sponsor us, name escapes , at the mo) and he said it is an antiquated network the plans of which have been lost in the winds of time. Sounded like the best solution is to run a whole new system in, probably not the cheapest thing to do.

Anyway, my point was that RC and the club are well aware of the situation and its importance but that it is a bigger issue than just plugging in a signal booster.

• Without paper, none of us would officially exist. Still room for paper, just saying! ?

• We drive to games, drink Rebellion from single use plastic then worry about a ream of paper? YCMIU

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Intrigued as to our line up today, can't wait for those team sheets to be handed out in the Vere.

2-1 Wycombe. COYB

Re ‘team sheets’; brought a young first time fan to AP pre Christmas, he was horrified at ‘all that waste paper, doesn’t everyone check the line up on their phones?’. Perhaps the Gasroom isn’t the most woke/snowflake audience, but doesn’t the lad have a point? Screen working in the ground, WiFi working etc. so is it time to ‘bin’ the teamsheets?
    nb: don’t shoot the messenger!

Completely. Probably for the type of people who still send everything by the post.

• Is there a requirement that printed team sheets are available?

• Just got back. Didn't realise I caused such a debate.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @micra I'm missing a few from the promotion season, not sure if you have any from then you were looking to offload?

Just seen your post. I’ll have a sort out before Wednesday so if you are able to DM me on here with details of ‘17/‘18 programmes you are short of I will bring them to AP on Wednesday.

• @micra said:

On the subject of recycling, does anyone have any (polite!) suggestions for recycling of matchday programmes - I think they are too “glossy” for normal paper recycling. My current “stock” is nearly all for the last half dozen seasons (if that). I took a hamper full of programmes, many dating back decades. to Alan Hutchinson at the training ground five or six years ago and they generated a lot of interest, particularly from Dobbo, as there were a few from my Wealdstone supporting days.

I’m not sure recent programmes are as collectible but anyone interested please DM me. Free to collector.

I know that one of our long term supporters (and collector) is looking for the following programmes.

Wycombe v Aylesbury Berks & Bucks Cup 1995-96
    Notts County v Wycombe Football League 1996-97
    Burnham v Wycombe Berks & Bucks Cup 2001-02
    Wycombe v Wimbledon Football League Cup 2003-04
    Aylesbury v Wycombe Berks & Bucks Cup 2005-06
    Wycombe v Boston Football League 2006-07
    Didcot v Wycombe Berks & Bucks Cup 2007-08
    Wycombe v Millwall Football League Cup 2010-11
    Slough v Wycombe Berks & Bucks Cup 2013-14
    Wycombe v Bury Football League 2014-15
    Wycombe v Dagenham Football League 2015-16
    Wycombe v Bristol City Football League Cup 2016-17

If @micra, or anyone else for that matter, has any which is/are no longer required then I'd be happy to pass them on to a good home.

• Searching now @Cyclops. May have a couple. If so I’ll see you in Caledonian.
    Happy New Year
    @micra