Skip to content

Rob Couhig

Apologies if there is a more detailed thread, but I can't find one and am baffled it hasn't been done sooner.

What are your first impressions? Is he the guy you want with a major share? Are you pleased by optimism, or cynical about outside involvement?

It's clear that the club is pretty much unsustainable without someone pumping in cash, and that without him we're pretty much trying to find a kind-hearted millionaire who wants to prop up a loss-making business - but do you think that RC is the guy, and are you happy he may get that 75% he needs?

Comments

• Think he's the man for the job if we are going to sell.

The trust have made it quite clear they want to offload the club, continually overspending and caving in to ever-increasing player wage demands.

There's only so long we can go on like this, so it'll be a yes from me. Not entirely confident that we will get the 75% - I'd prefer to stay fan-owned and spend sensibly, but if there's no appetite for it, we need to sell.

• Very much with @Keith_Allens_Wig. I wish we would stay supporter owned, but that seems to put me very much in the minority among Wycombe supporters.

As for Rob Couhig, he’s certainly doing and saying the right things and is clearly the Trust’s choice. I’m sure he’ll get the required number of votes. For better or worse.

• Does anyone actually know how much money he's got?

• Rob Couhig seems like a pretty good egg. Yes, I'd rather be fan owned, but it doesn't seem like its sustainable.

If we're not going to be fan owned anymore, I like his vision more than others we've heard from Hayes, Bill and Jim and Andy Harman.

Of course there's a chance he has intentions that are not in the best interests of the club, or he is going to turn out incompetent at running a football club, but I don't see it.

• He seems to be a good guy and Mark Palmer and Peter Couhig are very professional. Both myself and my son are Legacy members and we will be voting yes to Rob taking control.
    I think he will get the required 75% needed as nearly all the Legacy members I know intend to vote positively if things go as he says, and I have no reason to doubt him.

• Reactions seem to be positive. Didn't someone say Yeovil found out he may have been talking up his wealth?

• I think it’s a little early to reach a suitably informed judgement but his initial steps are generally positive.

Sad as it is, from where we and the top 6-7 leagues currently are, I can’t see us continuing as a fan-owned club as a football league club. On balance I (just) think that is where we should aim to be and the emotional loss (and risk) to an owner(s) model is a sacrifice we probably need to make.

Time will tell if RC is the right one to take us there for the next few years.

What worries me a little is that his expectations may exceed the reality and the 8,000 chairboys and girls he seems to believe are just waiting to come every other week to spend 90 minutes watching football and the same again in a traffic jam afterwards may not materialise.and that he cuts his losses to whoever will take on a loss making lower league club.

Sorry that’s more negative than intended. Apart from the “cold beer” comment he has said and done the right things so far.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Reactions seem to be positive. Didn't someone say Yeovil found out he may have been talking up his wealth?

I read that somewhere, but I never saw anything substantiated.

Couhig suggested Yeovil's board had some kind of internal schism and not all members were actually on board to sell.

• @Keith_Allens_Wig said:
    Think he's the man for the job if we are going to sell.

The trust have made it quite clear they want to offload the club, continually overspending and caving in to ever-increasing player wage demands.

There's only so long we can go on like this, so it'll be a yes from me. Not entirely confident that we will get the 75% - I'd prefer to stay fan-owned and spend sensibly, but if there's no appetite for it, we need to sell.

I agree with most of what you say but I’m not sure why you think we’ve caved in to ‘ever increasing player wage demands’. Before MrCouhig came on the scene, Gareth was trying to recruit players with a budget that was below National League level. I don’t think we’ve ever overpaid.

• Sounds just like the doubters we have. Thankfully I really do believe he will get the 75% and if we all pull together and give him a chance, we may just have very exciting times ahead.

• Hopefully the Trust have examined his bank statements!

• I think an independent valuation of the football club would be useful to know, so we can compare it to what he would be paying to obtain 75% of it

There's a nagging doubt in my mind that he thinks he's getting us cheap, otherwise why would he be interested?

• It maybe he's not only the front of the queue of potential buyers @eric_plant but the whole queue!

• As everyone, I'd love to stay fan-owned, but it doesn't seem at all feasible currently.

For the last few years the club have had budgets on par mid to low table League 2 sides, so to really make a fist of it in League 1 does seem way out of reach on that model

• So @floyd thinks those who wish to stay fan-owned are very much in the minority and @prufrock_91 thinks everyone would love to stay fan-owned. I guess the truth lies somewhere between the two and of course wishing we could stay fan-owned doesn’t necessarily in itself predispose someone to vote against the takeover. The alternative doesn’t bear thinking about. Unfortunately we seem to be between a rock and a hard place.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • So it’s the cold beers that have won you over @fame_46 .

• I’m glad to see so many people now accepting that whilst the concept of being fan owned is attractive, it’s no longer practical in modern football. I don’t know enough about MrCouhig to be certain that he can back up his words with action, but my first impression was positive and we’ve already seen good things happening under his initial investment.
    I agree with the need for caution, but we have enough time to see if he can ‘walk the walk’ before making a decision on the club’s future and I get the feeling this could be a very interesting season. My glass is now slightly more than half full!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @glasshalffull said:
    I’m glad to see so many people now accepting that whilst the concept of being fan owned is attractive, it’s no longer practical in modern football. I don’t know enough about MrCouhig to be certain that he can back up his words with action, but my first impression was positive and we’ve already seen good things happening under his initial investment.
    I agree with the need for caution, but we have enough time to see if he can ‘walk the walk’ before making a decision on the club’s future and I get the feeling this could be a very interesting season. My glass is now slightly more than half full!

You're not overstating the influence of the Gasroom are you @glasshalffull ? Not saying you're wrong but six or seven people on here - despite our obvious intelligence and power - do not necessarily a 75% make! I'm still torn on the issue myself...head and heart and all that.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Apologies if there is a more detailed thread, but I can't find one and am baffled it hasn't been done sooner.

What are your first impressions? Is he the guy you want with a major share? Are you pleased by optimism, or cynical about outside involvement?

It's clear that the club is pretty much unsustainable without someone pumping in cash, and that without him we're pretty much trying to find a kind-hearted millionaire who wants to prop up a loss-making business - but do you think that RC is the guy, and are you happy he may get that 75% he needs?

Too early to tell for me, pretty neutral on the bloke so far.

• I was warming to him until he signed off a Twitter response yesterday evening with "Go Wanderers". I know it's irrational, but seeing that phrase used unashamedly in a non-ironic manner provoked an immediate and adverse reaction that made me recoil from the screen.

The sooner he learns to use "Come on you Blues", "COYB" or, my favourite, "Come on you Chairboys" instead of that "Go..." nonsense the better.

• 'Go into touch Wanderers' that's my favourite

• @Uncle_T said:
    I was warming to him until he signed off a Twitter response yesterday evening with "Go Wanderers". I know it's irrational, but seeing that phrase used unashamedly in a non-ironic manner provoked an immediate and adverse reaction that made me recoil from the screen.

The sooner he learns to use "Come on you Blues", "COYB" or, my favourite, "Come on you Chairboys" instead of that "Go..." nonsense the better.

Agreed Uncle T got my goat as well. ‘Go Wanderers’ begs the response ‘where?’
    I want the new regime to work but the jury must remain out until he returns to The Vere pre Christmas wearing a light and dark blue Father Christmas hat and sings all three verses of ‘We are the old Bucks boys’ accapella - arguably an easier ask than getting 75% of Legacy votes.

• You wont have a choice but to vote for him when the time comes as we will owe so much money it will be couhig or bust

• Was interesting to see the new investment team at the game yesterday evening, full of enthusiasm, especially for the burgers. Trevor Stroud and Mark Palmer seemed to be guiding them round and explaining a few things. They are certainly making an effort to make themselves a part of the club.

• @rmjlondon said:
    You wont have a choice but to vote for him when the time comes as we will owe so much money it will be couhig or bust

By George......Richie's only been and nailed it

• Don’t peak in pre-season Richie.

• Agreed, with the debt we will owe Mr Couhig by the time he has paid off Bill and Jim and other creditors, plus the money he has shelled out for the June and July payroll as well as the increased budget.
    The democratic vote will cease to exist, as if we wont have the capital to pay Mr Couhig back.
    We are basically relying on him being a decent guy.
    How we arrived at accruing so much debt, under Mr Strouds watch has still to be answered.
    I fear that ship has sailed and we will have to just hold onto the rails to see where Captain Couhig steers this vessel.

• I agree @Uncle_T . That was inappropriate but I suppose we have to excuse slips like that from someone who’s only been involved for a matter of weeks. I’m afraid I dislike a lot of things American but a major redeeming factor so far as Rob Couhig is concerned is his dry sense of humour. He is also fond of the expression “shame on me” with reference to hypothetical failure to achieve individual aspects of his plans.

And thumbs up from me for @rmjlondon, @eric_plant and @ChasHarps for their posts earlier this evening.