Skip to content

The Release Radar

Comments

• I think PCH was hard done to this season...as he was in and out of the side however well he played.

• Paris suffered the same fate as many modern players, or certainly many modern Wycombe players, in that he never settled into a single position. If only we used wingers, we might then have seen more from him.

We've been a little more hit and miss in the loan market for these positions than others. If we're looking at another Williams I'd rather have kept Paris on the books. That said I fully expected him to leave of his volition anyway.

• Agree with that @Wendoverman , he was always on the fringes of it this season, understandable with the quality loanees perhaps, but even when they went, he was often squeezed out.

• @eric_plant said:
    as it stands, our recruitment policy will be driven by the following criteria

a) doesn't cost anything
    b) no-one else wants to sign him

I think you could add the player doesn’t want to sign for anyone else to b)

We are still an attractive proposition for some players despite the perception as the football club equivalent of Oliver Twist by some.

• Yes, we are still a league 1 club, and to many players that's an attractive proposition.

Much better ground and training facilities than some others, leafy Bucks, chance of a bundle in the legendary player's house etc.

• 6 goals in 44 appearances and 35 years old. I don’t think so. Besides, I think we will be on the lookout for younger players next season.

• @micra Oh I wasn't for one moment suggesting that we sign him, just mentioned him because Wycombe

• Oxford Utd have released Jon Obika, Charlie Raglan, Fiacre Kelleher and Jonte Smith. Scott Shearer has retired. #oufc has taken option on Jack Stevens. John Mousinho has triggered extension clause. New deals offered to Rob Hall and Curtis Nelson (but club yet to hear responses).

— BBC Oxford Sport (@bbcoxfordsport) May 9, 2019
  • You’ve pushed that wrong button again!
    No, you’re quite right and I did fear that my aside might be seen as reading that into your reference.

• And if it wasn’t you that pressed the wrong button earlier I apologise!

• edited May 2019

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2019/may/five-players-move-on/ Jon Obika released by Oxford - 28, quite a physical striker, perhaps hasn't realised his full potential and he missed most of last season with a knee injury, but he might be just the kind of player we'll have to look at. Has never been prolific but 10 or so goals a season for a side like us would come in handy. Seems more likely that we'll have to rely on two or three strikers like that, rather than having the luxury of someone who'll get 20 a season.

• I’ve clearly upset someone! I wonder who?

• absolutely pathetic how the board have screwed our club....we have no money to spend and zero ambition , what is the point of a 5 year plan if in year 6 onwards we end up in non league football.....Stroud has been an absolute disgrace for the club .

• @Wanderers82 said:
    absolutely pathetic how the board have screwed our club....we have no money to spend and zero ambition , what is the point of a 5 year plan if in year 6 onwards we end up in non league football.....Stroud has been an absolute disgrace for the club .

Should they have sold us to the American's? Who clearly were not as in love with the club as they claimed, or Andy Harman whom I was hoping could come up with an agreement, but for whatever reason an agreement couldn't be reached. look at the Bolton Wanderers tale on the BBC and be thankful for what we have. As I have said many times, I do not agree with everything the board have done, but not for one minute do I believe they have not done what the believe is best for WWFC.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    absolutely pathetic how the board have screwed our club....we have no money to spend and zero ambition , what is the point of a 5 year plan if in year 6 onwards we end up in non league football.....Stroud has been an absolute disgrace for the club .

It will be mightily impressive for us to be in non-league by Year 6. We'd have to somehow manage two relegations between now and the start of the season.

Idiot.

• What's the point of a successful five year plan if it just leaves us in a better position in a higher league than we were before?? Total incompetence from these volunteer bastardos! And the fact the fans cannot afford to bankroll the club is just a disgrace. We need to take a long hard look at ourselves in the mirror presently covered in our own angry spittle.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@Wanderers82 said:

It will be mightily impressive for us to be in non-league by Year 6. We'd have to somehow manage two relegations between now and the start of the season.

Idiot.

your the idiot.. in year 6 onwards I said. yes we have done amazing to be where we are however what's your point if the board dont want to keep us there - they have had ample time to find a suitable investor

• edited May 2019

@Wanderers82 said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@Wanderers82 said:

Idiot.

your the idiot.. in year 6 onwards I said. yes we have done amazing to be where we are however what's your point if the board dont want to keep us there - they have had ample time to find a suitable investor

So you're criticising the board because, although our last 5 years have been great, you've imagined a future in non-league?

I don't think they can be blamed or held accountable for your pessimistic imagination ahead of time.

• Spot on @OxfordBlue - no matter what allegations fly around, the fact of the matter is that, on the watch of this board, we have achieved promotion from L2, and then stayed in L1 for at least two seasons.

• your the idiot.. in year 6 onwards I said. yes we have done amazing to be where we are however what's your point if the board dont want to keep us there - they have had ample time to find a suitable investor

Are you for real? ‘Ample time to find a suitable investor’.
    Are they queuing up down Hillbottom Road, waiting patiently for the chance to invest money they’ll never see again? Perhaps some of them can be diverted to Bolton, a PL club not long ago, or to Bury or the countless other clubs who’ve had ‘ample time to find a suitable investor’.

• edited May 2019

@glasshalffull said:

Are they queuing up down Hillbottom Road, waiting patiently for the chance to invest money they’ll never see again?

I'm not sure this is exactly 'on message' for a former club director whose opinion still carries some weight. Certainly I doubt this is how Mr Stroud is currently marketing the opportunity to invest in The Mighty Blues.

• Release the diversions. There is little to be gained by belittling a volunteer force for not securing the finances to continue the five year plan with sufficient funding for realistic consolidation in L1.
    The idea of the 500club was perhaps to get £1000 from each towards the player budget, thereby close to eliminating the WWFC budget defecit and achieving relative financial sustainability. Selling a majority share is met with scepticism from most(?) fans yet a minority holding is leaving the investor with no collateral.
    The failure of any 500club to appear suggests that the the board forsees the 75% founder approval being achieved for majority investment (potentially down the line) rather than a substancial cash injection from supporters.
    The 3yr term of the original Share Scheme is coming to fruition in the not too distant future and bills have to be paid and loans repaid by every entity. Should we set up a crowdfunding effort to help with the playing budget, convertable into shares incase of buyout? Is there anything else we can do to better our budget? I would be willing to work a day for Wycombe, donating the wage to such an effort.

Oh, and what else is on the radar?

• @Wanderers82 said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@Wanderers82 said:

Idiot.

This year is year 5.
    Year 6 is next year.

So saying year 6 onwards is strange, as itd be year 8 absolute worst scenario that we could be in non league

• A couple of inaccuracies there @NorsQuarters. The 500 Club, Marks 1 and 2, were aimed at raising £75,000 - £150 from 500 people. Mark 1 achieved the target; Mark 2 (when most people presumably perceived the situation to be less serious because performances and results had been so good) was far less successful. About £29,000 from memory.

The five year Community Share Scheme is now in its final year (though ongoing contributions are, I assume, most welcome).

Hope you are well @NorsQuarters. Keep the contributions coming. On here, I mean!

• According to that we have let go nearly £1m of talent...umm.

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:
    According to that we have let go nearly £1m of talent...umm.

Well any website that values Scott Shearer at £90k at 38 is just picking numbers at random!!

• Especially as he had retired (or I think I read somewhere that he had).

• @th100 said:
    Reading's Luke Southwood looked absolutely superb for Eastleigh in the National League play-offs - and it sounds like he has been throughout his loan spell there. Would be worth looking at on loan, although I've heard he's expected to be in the first team picture at the Madejski next season.

Why we haven't gone and raided Reading more often for loan players baffles me....

Although they may have wanted them to be at a league 1 club minimum, which we will be for at least 1 more season... And I'm sure their younger players are still on a fair wedge too