Skip to content

The Release Radar

I had a thought and I would try something actually productive and different this time instead of one of my meaningless threads as usual.

Throughout the transfer window day by day I will be adding released players by other clubs on to this thread and seeing what you think about them. (i.e. a potential signing in the making etc.)

Feel free to add other players who have just been released onto here.

Comments

• Pre 06/05/19
    Oxford United
    Armani Little (Central Midfielder, 22) - Short defensive minded midfielder. Spent time on loan at Woking. Don't think he is good enough for the division.
    My Verdict - Pass
    Harvey Brandbury (Sriker, 20) - Tall striker. Also spent time on loan at Woking. Again maybe not good enough as with the midfielder but he is younger and we have more time to make him a better player.
    My verdict - Worth a look at.

Sunderland
    Robin Ruiter (Goalkeeper, 32) - Tall goalkeeper. Sunderlands backup this season. I don't think we need another goalkeeper given that we already have some good keepers. Also his wage demands would probably be hard to meet.
    My Verdict - Pass

• Great idea. Wednesday got the ball rolling yesterday: https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/owls-release-six/

• @floyd said:
    Great idea. Wednesday got the ball rolling yesterday: https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/owls-release-six/

Thank you @floyd and I will look into this later

• edited May 2019

Burton Albion have released:-

Harry Campbell - GK - 22
    Damien McCrory - LB - 29
    Kyle McFadzean - CB - 32
    Will Miller - MF - 22

• Stephen Henderson is out of contract at Forest - I don't know what his wage demands would be like, but we've seen what a decent 'keeper he is and that position has to be a priority, so he'd be worth a look at if released. That said, we should easily be able to get a decent young PL/Championship' keeper in on loan.

• @floyd said:
    Great idea. Wednesday got the ball rolling yesterday: https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/owls-release-six/

I've always admired the attacking midfield play of George Boyd and hoped that we would sign him one day. He is 34 in October, he might have a couple of years left at League One level.

I believe he was mainly used as a winger in the latter part of his career but he prefers to play "in the hole". Wages might be a problem.

• @Steve_Peart said:

@floyd said:

I've always admired the attacking midfield play of George Boyd and hoped that we would sign him one day. He is 34 in October, he might have a couple of years left at League One level.

I believe he was mainly used as a winger in the latter part of his career but he prefers to play "in the hole". Wages might be a problem.

He's also a Peterborough United legend. Let's try and get CMS (who he played with for a number of years) to persuade him to join us!

• We should never sign another goalkeeper. New loanee every season, possibly several

I've heard it referred to as "goalkeeper doping" by a former Gasroom great on a well known football podcast and I must say, I'm all for it

• I can see that working in the near future @eric_plant, longer term however if it becomes the norm for several clubs, I can see the top clubs seeing it as a way to hoover up all the top talent and then recoup the money and mitigate the financial risks by making the loaning club pay a significant proportion of the wages (which is what happened in the end with Blackman)

• @bookertease said:
    I can see that working in the near future @eric_plant, longer term however if it becomes the norm for several clubs, I can see the top clubs seeing it as a way to hoover up all the top talent and then recoup the money and mitigate the financial risks by making the loaning club pay a significant proportion of the wages (which is what happened in the end with Blackman)

Did Blackman not sign for sheff utd permanently after loaning with us?
    We surely didn't pay much of his 15k wage after the event?!

• edited May 2019

Blackman went on loan to Sheffield United last season and then to Leeds this season (Bielsa was waiting for him to lose weight, then he broke his leg just as he was about to be made number one). Still contracted at Chelsea until June 2021.

• @Malone I am pretty sure we didn’t pay that much but I know (from a fairly reliable source) that Sheff Utd did but Chelsea then allegedly wanted more this season which Leeds were willing to pay and Sheff Utd weren’t.

Whilst it worked a treat for us with Blackman I worry that there will soon be a premium on rated 5th reserve keepers

• looks like PCH has been released reading his tweet.

• I agree, @rmjlondon - when players talk about their time at a club in the way he did today, it definitely sounds like a goodbye.

• @rmjlondon said:
    looks like PCH has been released reading his tweet.

Or he's going on holiday and doing the very nice yet banal thanks post season in pro footballer speak.

• No its not that atall

• its not what u write if your staying, I would expect all our of contract players to be let go and CMS to sign for Notts C.

• Pace yourself Richie, long old summer.

• Jacobsen said similar in his interview on the pitch, and he's certainly going nowhere.

• @thedieharder said:
    Pre 06/05/19
    Oxford United
    Armani Little (Central Midfielder, 22) - Short defensive minded midfielder. Spent time on loan at Woking. Don't think he is good enough for the division.
    My Verdict - Pass
    Harvey Brandbury (Sriker, 20) - Tall striker. Also spent time on loan at Woking. Again maybe not good enough as with the midfielder but he is younger and we have more time to make him a better player.
    My verdict - Worth a look at.

Sunderland
    Robin Ruiter (Goalkeeper, 32) - Tall goalkeeper. Sunderlands backup this season. I don't think we need another goalkeeper given that we already have some good keepers. Also his wage demands would probably be hard to meet.
    My Verdict - Pass

Disregard this for now please. I was wrong about those players. Updated list will be posted soon.

• I certainly read PCH’s tweet as a goodbye. I suspect those conversations haven’t happened yet but I fully expect him to go looking for regular football elsewhere.

• hopefully we have funds to reinvest in our squad , losing PCH makes us weaker so hopefully GA or his replacement have targets in mind that will make us stronger

• GA said in one of his post match interviews he’s got a few sets of targets depending on what his budget is

• Anyone on Twitter, @_FootballLab is one of the best to follow for all this kind of stuff (retained lists etc.)

• see pierre got player of the season for ntfc

• For anyone still wondering why we’re at the back of the queue when it comes to signing players (some people believe that our meagre playing budget is a myth), I’ve just read that Southend’s wage bill for 2018 was a staggering £5.8m and they were almost relegated!
    Further proof that GA has done a quite incredible job.

• https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.devonlive.com/sport/premier-league-efl-retained-lists-2837975.amp

Update from Monday 6th May
    The following players that have been released are definatly players that we should look at over the transfer window.

Championship

Sheffield Wednesday
    Gary Hooper ST
    George Boyd LM
    David Jones CM
    Almin Abdi CM
    Marco Matias RM
    Daniel Pudil CB

League Two

Carlisle United
    Gary Liddle CB
    Anthony Gerrad CB

Grimbsy Town
    Wes Thomas ST

• George Boyd would be a sensational signing, even at his age. He is just the kind of player we are screaming out for in that he’d really help link a combative midfield and a ‘busy’ top line. I imagine he’s wages are way above what we could afford however.