Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• BBC's Live Text described JJ's goal as a "left footed shot from a difficult angle". Bit of an understatement.

• I take it nobody is going to tell us poor unfortunates who couldnt be there if there looked like any goodbyes/celebrations ?

• edited May 2019

Gareth looked quite emotional at the end, but then again he quite often does. All will be revealed in the coming days hopefully.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I take it nobody is going to tell us poor unfortunates who couldnt be there if there looked like any goodbyes/celebrations ?

Nothing obvious from anyone Holmer, very much celebrating what has been achieved first.

And Laughing at Plymouth of course.

• Poor game, great goal from JJ, and classic end of season fare.

If Bean's off, he didn't give anything away, running off as subbed with only a small wave.

Nothing in the walk round "wave offs" that suggested anything major, so we'll have to wait and see then!

Paris didn't come on, and not sure I saw him in the walkaround, so that'd be the main one who looks likely.

Kashket didn't look too pleased at being subbed, but then should you?

• Paris was on the lap of honour

• Was Kashket on the lap of honour? Found his tunnel strop at Ainsworth quite unedifying ....

• @kiscokid said:
    Was Kashket on the lap of honour? Found his tunnel strop at Ainsworth quite unedifying ....

I'm not sure i'd characterise it as a strop. He was very disappointed to come off, for sure, and had a conversation with Gareth about it after going off. But it seemed to be a healthy and respectful exchange of thoughts rather than anything worrying or notably inappropriate.

He was indeed on the lap of honour, somewhere towards the front of the pack as it came past the terrace.

• edited May 2019

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but also not wanting to start a fresh one about this:

I've just been reading the Notts County match report on the BBC and noticed it had comments, which I hadn't thought was normal. Read three pages of them and was struck by the generosity of spirit contained in every single one - lots of encouragement and sympathy, including from some Forest fans, and no gloating at all, at least on pages 8 - 10. It made my heart glad.

Feel free to have a look: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48074982

(One County fan wrote to ask us if they could keep CMS...)

• @kiscokid, Kashket was on the lap of honour and joining in, quietly. He put in a hell of a shift today, very lively up front and chasing back to defend, one second half run back at great speed stands out. He was really up for it today, I'm not surprised he had words with the manger after being subbed.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    He was really up for it today, I'm not surprised he had words with the manger after being subbed.

He's small, I know, and I dare say the wages here aren't great, but no crib for a bed?

• Is the consensus with @Malone that it was a poor game? I thought it was quite entertaining. And very pleasant to be able to watch it in a relaxed state of mind and not checking the other scores every 2 minutes!

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Is the consensus with @Malone that it was a poor game? I thought it was quite entertaining. And very pleasant to be able to watch it in a relaxed state of mind and not checking the other scores every 2 minutes!

Honestly, I was much more detached than usual and a little bored at times. That was likely for reasons other than, or at least in addition to, the quality of play but I did think it a pretty poor game, albeit with contrasting styles capable of being of interest.

• Not sure what game Barton watched...

• @OakwoodExile , glad you found it entertaining!
    It wasn't "that" bad I suppose, we've certainly had way worse games, and no game we win in league 1 can be considered bad.

But it was a bit dull.

I just hope whatever happens with Gaz happens quickly, as we really have work to sort the playing cast out.
    Are all the out of contract gang in limbo for instance?

• @Croider said:
    Not sure what game Barton watched...

I'm pretty comfortable with this interview. I respect his frankness and don't take great issue with his observations - he was upbeat, supportive of his players and positive and respectful about us. I thought they looked a really tidy footballing side that seemed to lack a cutting edge up front. I wouldn't remotely say our win was undeserved - it was an open game and either side, with their very different styles, could have justifiably won it. But I can respect his perspective.

• Not a great game but important to sign off with a win. Quite a flat atmosphere for large spells and a forgettable match, but very satisfying to be able to acknowledge the achievement of the team at the final whistle.

Let's hope it isn't the case, but if Gaz does move on then the moment in front of the terrace was the perfect way to end it.

Good performance from Rocky today, who made some impressive saves. And I thought Macca at centre back was outstanding. Also looked to me like Blooms and Bayo played like they had at least another season in them. I'd be amazed and disappointed if the former doesn't get another one year deal. Hard to say with Bayo but it didn't look like he was saying farewell. In fact none of the payers did.

• I'm not surprised Kashket was frustrated at being substituted. He was playing really well and didn't deserve it

• Firstly I don't like late kick offs, ruins the Saturday ritual. I had to go to the supermarket this morning!
    Outside of that it wasn't a great game, good running from. SK and AS even back I. Our box defending at one point., but really, it was a poor game.
    Nethertheless we won and stayed up under our own steam. Nice job boys. COYB!!!

• Had been thinking before the change how anonymous SK looked, then he bursts into life and is subbed. He only needs one chance, his shooting in the warm up pre match (and PCH's for the most part) was spot on and he looks a keeper('s nightmare. Must take his chances quicker though. We have missed a dependable striker this season and need to find him to make the dream of a comfortable mid-table finish a reality.

• Thought Fleetwood's keeper was impressive. No worldy saves or anything but commanded his box well. The game seemed to be played at three quarters speed. Not pre season friendly level but definitely not at the level of intensity you'd expect from a competitive league match.

Hope that wasn't Scotty's last game for us, given how annoyed he was with his substitution.

• Big fan of Scotty K and pleased to see he is over his injuries. Just don’t personally like the whole hand waving/tunnel nonsense when players get subbed. Scott McLeish was the worst!!

• I think it wad a game of mostly somewhaf dull play, but with a few really fun chances at both ends. Nice to see Rocky sign off with some nice saves. Had JJ scored with that volley, we would have had to reopen the goal of the season vote!

Speaking of JJ, that's two goals direct from corners, another that was on its way in before CMS knocked it in from about six millimeters out, and one that hit the joint of post and bar. What a group of deliveries!

• Good that Kashet was upset to be subbed but I'm sure it had more to do with giving Bolton another go.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    I'm sorry to hear but rocky is not good enough...does not command his area at all....frigntening how poor he is at doing so

When it comes to commanding his box yes Allsop is more Kirsty than Rocky, that said yesterday he made at least three close range last ditch saves. As others have said better than many at this level.
    Perhaps the Irish lad will come in as some real competition for a starting place?

• First time I’ve heard Joey Barton interviewed. In the context of chances - including a couple of virtually open goals - he is absolutely spot-on when he talks about their superiority but we were the more attacking side overall and they depended on errors/sloppiness on our part (sound familiar?) for their opportunities on the break. We were saying in the Vere afterwards that if Fleetwood had taken all their chances we could have lost 4-1. And he is right too about the absence of Ched Evans (injured) and the uncharacteristically poor finishing of Paddy Madden. Between them they have scored nearly 40 goals this season.

If I was unaware of Joey Barton’s chequered past I would have regarded him, on the strength of that interview, as someone I’d be quite pleased to see on a shortlist to succeed GA.

• I thought Fleetwood's finishing yesterday was as bad as I've seen.

• It really was.

• The Irish lad?