Skip to content

What are the thoughts regarding the level of communication from OUR club?

Is the club policy to operate a 'need to know' strategy. If so then I feel we are missing a trick. Surely you want your fans totally engaged. It may just be me but I would like to know if anyone else feels the same?

Comments

• Which areas of communication are you thinking of ?

• Overall really Bourne.

• I think you kust need to look at the Avranches debacle

• I agree that the communication with regards to itineraries and ticket fiascos has been poor . They seem to use twitter as the main source of communication and don't bother putting anything on the main website even . Assuming that every one uses facebook/twitter is a bit short sighted in my opinion as there are a lot of fans from older generations and some from younger generations who do not use these social media sites .There have also been announcements in the past that have proved to be incorrect and later changed or retracted. As far as potential signings and finances are concerned , as frustrating as it may be sometimes , I do not feel they are obliged to be public about these things. I believe it has been mostly down to poor management rather than a "need to know" policy even if it seems like this .

• OMG - just follow the club on twitter. Everyone moaning on here is on the internet so just open a twitter account and hey presto you'll get all the club's output plus really good by the minute updates for home and away games (much better than the beeb). I think the club's use of social media should be applauded.

• That is not the point Pink and it is not a moan but an observation.

• edited July 2015

I think the communication has been pretty good, with the exception of the Avranches debacle.

The club has a policy of not saying much about injuries, which seems sensible to me.

It's hard to say whether or not I agree @Blue_since_1990 unless you provide some examples of what you mean.

• I'm not sure what communications I am missing. I get an e-mail from the Trust as a member. I look at the website and I look on here. Somewhere along the line I get any information I require. Perhaps I am easily pleased.

• Oh no you're not! The information is all out there provided you have access to the Internet and even the BFP has much improved coverage these days. Also, I think it only costs a modest amount to join the Supporters' Trust - ? £10 - and for those without an email address the Trust will keep them up-to-date by snail mail.

• Fair play. It seems most people are getting the info required. May well be down to impatience from little old me hen.

• Then not hen.

• Dale Jenkins is the Trust Board member with specific responsibility for Communications. If there are issues then you should be contacting him stating exactly what you see the problem is and how you think it should be resolved.

• I agree with Frijidpink!

• Just to interject, if anybody feels the Trust is not communicating things effectively enough then feel free to drop me a message...

• As has been observed, it falls down a bit for people who aren't all over the Internet outlets, but the same can be said for much larger businesses than WWFC.

End of the day, social media is an incredibly quick, easy and cheap way to communicate and the club do it very well. If you don't use social media then you'll feel a bit uninformed

• I had better get a Twitter account up and running then.

• Personally I'm not on twit face and don't feel I'm missing out.......

Can't wait for the new season to start at Loakes Park.....

• @FrijidPink said:
    OMG - just follow the club on twitter. Everyone moaning on here is on the internet so just open a twitter account and hey presto you'll get all the club's output plus really good by the minute updates for home and away games (much better than the beeb). I think the club's use of social media should be applauded.

I've never seen anyone misunderstand the nature of Twitter as much as this. Especially someone who actually uses it. Tweets are transient and of the now. If you don't check your Twitter for a day or two, you'll miss things as they disappear down the depths of your timeline replaced by cat gifs, boasting and photos of strangers' lunch.

The club is quite rightly multi-channel, but I think they could do with putting some guidelines in place about what kind of information goes in which / how many channel(s). Twitter is perfect for posting general "keep the fans interested" information ("Look, here's a picture of the players training!"), and time-critical comms ("If you're on your way to the game, it's been rained off" etc.). Neither of which would be appropriate via email.

The Avranches debacle on the other hand was exactly the kind of thing you want in your inbox.

To the original question, I'd personally like to see much better two way communication, especially between the club and the trust members. i.e.: when considering moving everyone's season ticket seats around it would have been nice for the club to a) have told people they were thinking of doing it, and b) asked for feedback on the idea. Otherwise it hardly feels like a supporter owned club at all.

• Well said @drcongo - further to the Avranches debacle, club could even have gone the extra mile to let people following the club to France to subscribe to a text service so that they could get any emergency information in a format that almost everyone, if not all could receive. I didn't go but I'm still pretty annoyed with the lack of organisation shown by the club in terms of providing its supporters with crucial information given the lack of public transport in the region.