Skip to content

Comments

• Very generous on Murphy. He looked completely out of sorts today, not much more than a spectator at times as the action went on around him.

I feel sorry for Matty. He looked absolutely dejected when he was subbed. He obviously depends on confidence but as soon as he gets a goal or two he gets injured and it's back to square one again.

Probably won't be a popular opinion but I'd start with him alongside Hayes up at Carlisle. He works better with a strong player who can hold the ball up and think quickly alongside him.

Better today than Tuesday but still very disappointing. It's not just the loss of Paris and Josh, some kind of spark has gone out of the team.

• And of course, cheers for another excellent report - always appreciated.

• Don't agree with ratings. Bean had a disastrous game, and made Murphy look so much worse than he was. Murph was good with Scowen because it was known who would stay back, and would would go forward. With Bean in there, no one has a clue.

This love in for Holloway is misguided. People say he brings others into play, yet the formation we play to accommodate him yields almost no goals.

McClure at least gets into goal scoring positions, which Holloway doesn't, and he works well with Hayes.

Also, Craig didn't play well, he just runs. There's a difference. Maybe he's getting his bonuses now.

• Holloway and Hayes together sometime for a few mins?

Hayes is a decent finisher and this combo should allow ample good opportunities for Fred/Wood/Murphy in a 442.

• This player, that player, end of the day , we lost to a poor side. Set pieces where poor, crosses are poor. Top it off the Club is poor. This high intensity style of play, does help if we keep the ball alot more. Opposition managers have sussed us out.

• @MindlessDrugHoover Thanks for your comment, much appreciated.

@prufrock_91 The formation we've recently employed with Holloway is hardly his fault. Maybe we should try him in a 4-4-2 for more than five minutes.

Not sure there's much evidence to support your assertion that McClure works well with Hayes, but it's certainly preferable to pairing him with Craig.

@AttitudeEra Agreed. Holloway - Hayes combo is one I'm looking forward to seeing.

• I'd like to see Hayes & McClure up front together next week. I like Holloway, but he's similar in style to Hayes. Also I thought Hayes & McClure were beginning to click before both suffered their injury problems. I know McClure is frustrating, but on his day he is a goalscorer, it's just confidence with him. In that respect, maybe a trip to Carlisle, where he won't have sections of the crowd on his back could be perfect.

• @Wycombe85 agree Re Holloway and Hayes together. Hayes needs someone around him that will run in behind or through the channels. Not another hold up player.

• Hayes/McClure for me, at least for a couple of games.

• Surprised that there's been no mention of the incident in the first half when McClure was bundled over from behind just inside the box. To me and what sounded like hundreds of others it seemed a clear-cut penalty but sadly not to the honorary Welshman in the black.

• I think it was Craig, but yes it was a clear push, very poor that it was missed by both the Lino & the ref. It may have been just a fraction outside the box however, but the foul was as blatant as it gets.

• Onto Carlisle, on yesterday performance, sincerely hope, that we stop being direct and look for the front players feet, nice clever through (quality) balls to service our strikers.

Whoever is upfront, flicking or holding up, needs options when they receive it. To many times Craig or MCclure were isolated due to hoofball. Newports 6' plus built like American Footballers defensive line had a field day.

• Although it may not at first glance seem to be the ideal combination, I think I would go with Holloway and Hayes for Carlisle, assuming their fitness level is good enough. Although both are mainly hold-up men, Hayes can feed off of others as he proved when he partnered Stuart Beavon. Got to be better than the alternatives, surely?

• Hayes and McClure for me with Holloway on for Hayes as he tires. McClure will come good. He needs to stay fit, have a fun in the team and have the fans off his back.

• Tranmere are 2 up v Shrewsbury.

• Also Luton are losing 2 goals to one at the half way mark. Half time. COYB.