Skip to content

Luke O'Nien signs.

Ketchup.

Comments

• well done mate, shut all the little doubters up !!

• Looks good player, loves football if you have checked out his twitter account. Welcome aboard Luke.

• 'loves football' - excellent news I mean you wouldn't want to sign any of those players who just see it as a means of earning a living would you.

• @Baldric said:
    'loves football' - excellent news I mean you wouldn't want to sign any of those players who just see it as a means of earning a living would you.

Like I said, he's football mad and from his bio will be a great asset in the team/squad. You would be suprised how many premiership/sports players who play football/sports (means of earning a living) who think that way.

• @Baldric said:
    'loves football' - excellent news I mean you wouldn't want to sign any of those players who just see it as a means of earning a living would you.

Here's one of them, playing for the cash.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/may/01/benoit-assou-ekotto-tottenham-hotspur

• Not particularly excited about this Signing, was playing for Wealdstone last year, we need proven quality, really think that we had a better squad this time last year. Stop believe in GA though.

• Meant Still belive in GA

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    Not particularly excited about this Signing, was playing for Wealdstone last year, we need proven quality, really think that we had a better squad this time last year. Stop believe in GA though.

Yeah it's a bit like Josh Scowen - he was only playing for Eastbourne when Gaz recalled him and he turned out to be crap didn't he...
    Oh and that Alfie Mawson chap who'd previously been on loan at Maidenhead and Welling. Shame we plumped for him rather than going for some 'proven quality' instead.

• i was asking for that. those players were not released by their clubs they were on loan to lower league clubs...surely if he was highly rated they would of offered him a contract and loaned him out??!!

• He got released by Watford because they are now a Premier side. He was highly thought of at the club particularly with regard to his work ethic.

I don't think you are living in the real world Wwfc2015_ I can assure you we are very lucky to get this lad on the sort of money we pay.

• To be fair Tommy Doherty was totally just in it for the cash and he was pretty good.

• Welcome aboard Luke

• "dropping in at right-back as he did on more than one occasion in his time at The Vale."

Well that's the important question answered. Seems like a decent signing, although he doesn't fill the 'Sam Saunders' creative midfielder hole.

• my Watford supporting mate has seen him at youth level and in reserve games. "hard working likes a tackle, versatile".

• where is his signing confirmed?, can't find anything on wwfc or bfp

• Please see my comment in "New Signing" below - wrong thread, sorry!

• Well done Luke and good luck. Just bec players don't twitter about football every 5 minutes doesn't mean they don't care about there jobs or team, they train every day mabe they like to shut off away from that after work. It is work for them at the end of the day, yes money talks for all of us.

• @chairleg - he's expressed his delight at signing on twitter.

• Thanks BSE. I don't do this twittering stuff! Good news.

• @chairleg - nor do I unless other posts/friends direct me to it and on this occasion I found it worthwhile especially a recent post of Luke's showed him scoring a spectacular goal! I don't have an account. Oooooh, I seem to have gone all defensive.

• He comes across through his tweeting as an infectiously enthusiastic guy who's clearly very bright (he says in one of them he got an A* at GCSE maths at least!) But I'm unsure what his role will be. Is he a box to box midfielder? Is he the creative play maker we desperately need? Or is he another tough tackling sweeper, similar to Rowe and Harriman?

In his versatility, good nature, intelligence, build and even looks he reminds me of a young Bloomfield. I suspect both will be bench players this season, though I hope O'Nien will be able to offer more in the final third than Bloomfield can and we'll be seeing lots of him as the season progresses.

• Spot on @aloysius. I'm certainly smiling!

• @chairleg - you may like to know that relevant tweets also appear after the main items on the official website news page.

• Is it pronounced O Neeen or O Ni-en? I'm thinking the former but want to check.

However you say it, welcome aboard Luke!

• Hopefully the former so we can all get working on a Dolly Parton rewrite to sing

• He was a bit weedy when I saw him last season but nothing a spell in David Lloyds with Ingram wont solve

• thanks micra. good to sign a couple of young players who are on the up, and also have potential to be in the first team this year.

• @ chickenhead: I'm aware some people just play because it pays and don't really like the game. My point was that loving the game doesn't necessarily make you a decent player, or better than those who just see it as a job. ( I'm sure the Spurs player mentioned demonstrates this pont) Indeed in certain circumstances, the ability to see football as just a career may bring a more healthy perspective to things. But I guess a football forum isn't the place to discuss a healthy perspective.

• But I heard one of the players/coaches calling him neeno on the tennis ball video.
    Swansea wide midfielder Nathan Dyer is 5'7" ish and 8 stone 9lb. He was magic last night. Don't worry about Luke's size!