Skip to content

Fun fact of the day

Gareth Ainsworth is the 11th longest serving manager currently serving in the English leagues.

Comments

• I wonder if there's any evidence that managers of supporter-owned clubs stay in position longer than others. You'd expect that to be the case, I think. Probably not enough evidence to carry any weight statistically but has anyone got the data?

• Probably correct insofar as supporter owned clubs generally don't have the spare funds to pay compo.

• Well Exeter's Paul Tisdale is second behind Arsene Wenger with Wimbledon's Neal Ardley 13th.

• Portsmouth meanwhile have had four in the two years since becoming supporter owned. Not sure I see the causal link myself.

• Good point @mooneyman . Not surprisingly @DevC only took 11 minutes to rush to attack supporters.

• Karl Marginson at FCUM since 2005!

• Eh?

How on earth is saying that I see no reason for any link between length of service of managers and fan ownership in any way "attacking supporters".

• edited July 2015

My guess is that it's not that the SOCs don't have the money as such, it's that they aren't generally run by individuals who not only have money but egos to match. There may also be something about SOCs that attract managers with staying power, I suppose. And maybe trust boards are that much more careful about their appointments?

@DevC I take the point but I think Portsmouth are still in deep shock and each managerial hire and fire has been driven by a clash between unachievable ambition and the reality of life in League 2. (FWIW I didn't take your comment as an attack on supporters!)

• Portsmouth I think are an exception to the rule as their average attendances are about four times that of ours. Consequently they have a massive advantage in financial terms over other clubs in the division.

• Although it's an advantage they seem to waste consistently!

• Which is why they keep sacking managers

• Morecombe v Bury. Guess who scored "Captain Murphy". HT 1-1 .

• @DevC said:
    Eh?

How on earth is saying that I see no reason for any link between length of service of managers and fan ownership in any way "attacking supporters".

You are 100% transparent @DevC.

• Just like the club.

• Over the years, LX1, I have regrettably imbibed far too much beer, coke and ice cream to be anywhere near "transparent". Far from it I am afraid.

Stop being silly, my friend.

• I'm afraid you are @DevC unlucky. I don't think I've ever met you so don't think we can be friends.

• Not strictly correct @LX1. One of the definitions of a friend is "a member of the same nation, party etc". Additionally you can be a "facebook" friend without ever having met. Consequently @DevC is strictly correct in calling you a friend my friend!

• Football friend!

• New friend