Skip to content

Will Our Beautiful Perfect Pitch Survive?

I am very concerned about the effect tomorrow's match will have on the immaculate new surface of our pitch if the all-day heavy rain the Met Office is forecasting materialises. It's going to be a real test.

Comments

• you must have a very sad life, the game is needed to test everything including the floodlights and will bring us some needed revenue if we are able to do everything to the standard Reading expect.

• I have had a very happy and fulfilling life, thank you @blueh_w! Extraordinary reaction on your part. I think I know the reasons behind this fixture as well as you. The point I am making is pertinent since it is not easy to postpone even a friendly match in front of a few hundred people at short notice but, in case you haven't noticed, persistent heavy rain and gales are forecast for tomorrow (exceptionally extreme for July) and it would be disappointing to say the least if that resulted in damage to our "bowls green" pitch. Now that would be sad.

• blueh_w, you have a real way with words. Micro was making a very valid point which is something that you cannot be associated with.

• lets all panic everytime we get bit of rain shall we, the pitch will be fine and I expect a crowd slightly bigger than a few hundred.

• I think it is actually a valid point. I'm no botanist but I suspect a degree of sequencing risk that dictates how the pitch will end up bye the end of the season.

In other words, we will undoubtedly have to use it several times in poor conditions. That is less of an issue if those occurrences come about at a variety of intervals later in the season. If, however, the sequencing of that poor weather means there are one or too games played in wet conditions early in the season, the pitch never fully recovers from the early hit.

• the grass is long, and the rain won't even touch the surface considering they have been struggling to get enough water on it anyway this will surely help if it arrives at all.

• Just be happy the apes will never plough it up again.

• Yup now they in the Conference or what ever it's called now.

• @blueh_w said:
    the grass is long, and the rain won't even touch the surface considering they have been struggling to get enough water on it anyway this will surely help if it arrives at all.

@blueh_w : Really do despair of you at times. The grass is cut at least every other day and is certainly not long! The sprinklers ensure an abundant supply of water keeping the grass a wonderful emerald green. The groundsman and his staff are doing a truly magnificent job.

• the pitch has been left long on purpose

• Much as I hate to agree with blueh-w, football players have to run about on it from August 8th and then again for about 26 games not counting Cup runs. If the grass is seriously injured by one friendly we might be in trouble this season.

• edited July 2015

Surely now is the best time for the pitch to suffer damage? When grass grows quickly and when there isn't another match to be played on it for two weeks?

• A decent well cared for pitch, which this obviously is, should stand up to, more than one football match a week for the length of the season. Should very bad conditions cause it to cut up then that's par for the course. Remember Loakes Park and how muddy it got and how hard and bare towards the end of the season, as they all did at that time. Turf care has improved over time to prevent that happening. Panic not.

• Er if it is a Noah-like flood I wouldn't expect the season to start in August BFK (Basic Flood Knowledge)

• edited July 2015

How about we just ban ball games from the pristine Adams Park pitch and hold the games in the hospital car park?

• Nah, It takes long enough getting out of our car park, unless your an ambulance ofc, so don't fancy that idea from the General.

• How about the field at the back end once it's harvested? We can watch from the hill and it's got a good nostalgic slope

• Bring back the slope