Skip to content

Marcus Bean v Danny Rowe.

Seriously, does anyone know why Rowe can't get any game time? If Rowe can not get in the side ahead of a very poor performing Bean then why not send him back to Rotherham? It can't be doing Rowes' confidence any good and is just using valuable wages that surely could be put to better use.
Regarding Bean, he will soon be put into the worst performance thread below unless he bucks his ideas up pretty soon. He offers absolutely nothing going forwards and doesn't have much bite in the tackle when defending. Time for putting Rowe in or send him back IMHO.

Comments

• Agreed. Rowe is our bear holding mid now Scowen has left. Bean passes backward too much and turns like a pensioner in the middle. Looks ok getting forward into the box but not sitting deep

• Bean's already in the worst performing thread. I added him at half time.

• Did OK at Cambridge last week, was possibly our best player, neat and tidy.

• Got to agree. Pro Rowe. Don't see the need for a midfielder who only offers break up play attributes. No creativity what's so far. Rowe all the way.

• Having watched Murphy "screen" excellently in front of the centre backs against Wimbledon earlier in the season, I do wonder whether he could perform that role.

• Maybe I've just not been paying attention but has Bean really been that bad? Yes, he's not even close to being a Scowen but then who is at this level?

I'm very much of the view that Rowe should be starting and have said so for weeks but I also think Bean has filled the role 'OK', he was outstanding at Cambridge but dreadful against Portsmouth.

For me Gaz got one thing right yesterday and that was the return to 4-4-2, he just utilised the wrong personnel. Get Rowe back in their like at the beginning of the season. We didn't miss Scowen then.

• edited February 2015

On Murphy; I notice he's come in for a little criticism lately. His performances have dropped a little but I put this down to the change in formation also. His license to get forward was revoked the moment he was asked to sit in a middle three. I thought he showed glimpses of what he can do again yesterday. He's a proper box to box midfielder when the game allows him to be.

• Seems like Bean is becoming the Gasroom's whipping boy. He did OK yesterday.

• Very much dividing opinion at the moment. I didn't think he played badly in that he broke up their play but his lack of control is a concerne and I'm just not sure he's what we need. On the other hand, I wasn't awfully impressed with Danny Rowe in midfield earlier this season.

• The problem with Marcus Bean, at least based on what I heard shouted yesterday, is that he's not Josh Scowen...

• @BlueBoy said:
    On Murphy; I notice he's come in for a little criticism lately. His performances have dropped a little but I put this down to the change in formation also. His license to get forward was revoked the moment he was asked to sit in a middle three. I thought he showed glimpses of what he can do again yesterday. He's a proper box to box midfielder when the game allows him to be.

Spot on, Murphy is wasted in the position he's playing. Murphy is very intelligent going forward and awesome when free to pick up positions around the box.

• I seem to remember Steve Brown getting similar stick to Bean when he joined. Bean is a busy player - he's always involved and at least he doesn't go hiding. Murphy was much more ineffective yesterday.

• I thought Bean was OK yesterday

• I thought Bean was okay but not that creative. Murphy anonymous. I would try Rowe for either just to give him a try.

• I think Murphy is made worse due to having to cover for Bean's lack of defensive ability.

Btw, Sido's marking for Newport's first goal was woeful!

• And Mawson's for the second is just as bad.

• Agree Prufrock...I think some complacency has set in with the back four...after all the praise perhaps they need to get their focus back. They are all class players, but every one of JJ's set pieces seem to be passes to the Newport goalkeeper and they were all over the shop when it counted. Aaron was solid though. Still think Rose should get a go in the midfield.

• @prufrock_91 Pierre wasn't tight enough for the first. Sido was all over the place and as for what Bean is doing running away from the ball I don't know. A truly calamitous goal all round really.

• We do still remain in the top 3, and always knew the back end of the season would be tougher than the start. We've been further unsettled by losing key men and having our Captain out.
    Let's hope Hayes can calm the group down, and start picking up some wins again

• I personally think that Hayes could have been a much bigger loss than Josh or Paris. We were fine without Josh at the start of the season. Hayes is our talisman and makes us tick. I'm confident for three points up at Carlisle with Hayes back in the team.