Skip to content

Comments

• They need to be very careful taking on an organisation the size of Sainsburys.

• Will Rovers get Nectar points

• What a shame.

Probably our fault.

• it's a pretty sad day when fellow football supporters take Sainsbury's side over Bristol Rovers, regardless of any rivalry that may have been built up over the last few years

• They need to learn how to Live Well For Less

• Karma!
    I note they have been advised that they have strong grounds for appeal! Wonder if it's the same legal advisors that told them they had a case against us? Sorry, no sympathy.

• They will also have to pay costs set by a judge at a costs hearing. Some of their fans on other forums reckon the could go into administration after the decision went against them.

• to be fair we really ought to be on the Gasheads side with this. They have been shafted by Sainsbury's and I'd hate it to have been us.

Unfortunately I do find myself smiling rather a lot over this. I really don't like myself sometimes...

• @bookertease don't beat yourself up over your feelings on this. Normally all fans would link arms together in solidarity, to fight the corporate ogre. This is Brizzle Rovers though and not normal, as such I hope they go to the expense of an appeal and lose even more money. A situation they tried to bestow upon us only 14 months ago!

• It's a damn shame when any club is scrambling for its future, even Bristol Rovers, much as I dislike them.

• Nice touch of Karma here

• I'm in agreement with @mooneyman & @EwanHoosaami after the farce they created trying to remove us from the football league it seems like the universe has dished out a quite deserving dose of karma.

• Personally I would like to know more about how Bristol Rovers came to own the stadium, having moved in as tenents, then becoming joint owners, then becoming sole owners in a 2 year span.

The other question is why Bristol Rovers delayed and then abandoned the original planned redevelopment of the ground. Rather than pushing for the sale and desecration of the war memorial and then becoming litigious, perhaps they should pursue this option again?

• so pleased we will still be able to stand in the corner with no roof with their fans spitting down on us from the covered stand up the side, such a welcoming club, roll on October 10th!

• As one Bristol fan posted in glee after we lost the playoff final. What goes around comes around!

• Oh dear those premier league (In their sad little heads) have messed up again.....I would have an immense amount of sympathy for them but when they tried that sad little legal trick of having us thrown out of the league in a desperate attempt to survive, I lost any interest in whether they exist or not. A dirty, sad, pathetic club who seem to be loaded down with a large number of chips on their shoulders.

• Apparently they had taken out a £2m loan to fund this latest legal fight, at 1.2% interest per month. £288k a year, if they keep up their payments. Madness.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/High-loan-option-continue-Sainsbury-s-battle-says/story-26118985-detail/story.html

They'll be taking on a considerable chunk of Sainsbury's legal costs after this, too.

After their attempts to sue us out of existence, I'll have no sympathy if they end up doing it to themselves.

• I'd have sympathy Dan. Remember that while the ownership and a small minority of the fans may well be complete knobheads, the vast majority of BRFC fans are just decent ordinary football loving folk who happen to have links to North Bristol. Their club, for which many of them have affection far more than is in any way rational, has been well and truly shafted by a large corporation with expensive lawyers who have found a technicality to wriggle out of an agrement entered into in good faith. I see little to celebrate.

• They are now 5 million in debt according to BBC Points West, i pissed myself when i heard that!

• well said Dev, this thread is for the most part a pretty dismal one

• I have no love for Bristol Rovers as a competitive entity, but they mean everything to thousands of fans in the West Country, and to wish for them to go bust is taking rivalry too far.

• Remember their comments on the old Gasroom saying they hope we go bust after they won at Adams Park in the penultimate game? Karma!

• @DevC Ah you are probably right, I would feel bad for the fans who have no choice but to follow whatever decision the management make.

Still, I can't help feeling some satisfaction in seeing things not work out for them here. They made Bristol Rugby tenants in their own home, and then wanted to knock down the stadium, a memorial to rugby players who died in WWI, to build a Sainsbury's. Regardless of any Rovers-Wycombe animosity, I always thought this plan seemed a little distasteful.

• Tiny minorities I imagine. Probably 95% are as decent as yer average fan. But yes, I am smiling slightly.

• @robin Every fanbase has a collection of idiots. Rover's is certainly larger than most, but it doesn't mean they are all that horrible.

• @robin said:
    Remember their comments on the old Gasroom saying they hope we go bust after they won at Adams Park in the penultimate game? Karma!

There's a chance to be a better person here then isn't there. For once I actually agree with @DevC, as loathsome as some of their supporters are, and as loathsome as most of their backroom staff seem to be, there's a load of decent football fans with no control over what the idiotic club owners / management are doing who are in danger of losing their club.

Ironic that @DevC is the one pointing this out, as there but for the grace of Che and friends, goes us.

• THIS REPORT IS FROM THE PETITION GROUP WHICH WANTED TO PROTECT THE MEMORIAL GROUND I
    Yesterday “Bristol Rovers’ hopes of moving to a new stadium were dashed as a high court judge ruled that Sainsbury’s were not duty bound to buy the Memorial Ground” (Bristol 24/7, 13 July 2015, Rovers stadium move off after court ruling).

The Memorial Ground is a special place. It was protected for decades by Bristol City Council and was included in the Local Plan L8 (now apparently superseded by DM5 – Protection of Community Facilities) as a “valuable asset” for being a sports ground. This policy was expressly developed “in recognition of the benefits – social, economic and environmental, of providing sporting areas to accommodate spectator sports within urban areas and thus easily accessible to large areas of the resident population”. An exception to this policy was made under the condition that a new sports stadium would be created within the ‘locality’. (The Council then determined that the UWE stadium was sufficiently local). The exception to L8 cannot be justified without this plan for a new ‘local’ stadium and so if the UWE stadium is not to proceed, policy L8 (or DM5) should now, once again, be protecting the Memorial Stadium.

TRASHorfield and I are not opposed to the building of a stadium at UWE; but we are opposed to the destruction of the Memorial Ground for the building of a supermarket. A Sainsbury’s supermarket would cause traffic congestion, air pollution and noise pollution – and threaten the viability of local independent businesses. With so much still uncertain about the site’s future, serious concerns remain about Bristol City Council’s permission for daily 19 hour heavy goods vehicle access to the site via residential roads.

Moreover and significantly, the Memorial Ground is a sport heritage site, laden with rugby and football memories – and nearly a hundred years old. It is a special and practical type of WW1 war memorial and should remain dedicated to sport and recreation, as was intended by its founders. The “Mem” is not a brownfield site. The Directors of Bristol Rovers have failed to grasp these simple facts – hence the strong objections to the prospect of a Sainsbury’s supermarket on the war memorial sport ground.

We would welcome a proper discussion about possible future uses of the site – a future which does not trample on local businesses, nor on the health of local people. This famous sports ground could be modernised, in a fitting and proportional way, given its war memorial status and residential setting.

The Memorial Ground was built as a living tribute to three hundred rugby sportsmen soldiers who were killed in the First World War. Whoever owns the site is the custodian of a heritage asset paid for by Bristolians and entrusted for sport or recreation forever. It is Bristol’s largest, most poignant and most effective war memorial – it ensures frequent remembrance of the fallen sportsmen, by sport, played at a sports ground.

Thank you for your support!

It seems likely that this petition can be closed soon. For updates, please visit the Memorial Ground, Bristol Wordpress site.

Jamie Carstairs started this campaign on the 38 Degrees Campaigns by You website. If there's an issue close to your heart that you'd like to campaign on, you can start your campaign here.

You received this email because you signed the petition ' No Sainsbury’s supermarket on Bristol war memorial'. If you don't want to receive emails from the ' No Sainsbury’s supermarket on Bristol war memorial' campaign in the future, please unsubscribe.

• A good campaign after all it is a war memorial and why allow a Supermarket to be built on it.

• They seem to have a large percentage of fans who punch horses or invade pitches. Plus the pitch invasion they made at Adams Park led to our limit for away fans being reduced. Also trying to get us relegated and thus go bust. I can't get the smile off my face. What goes around comes around!