Skip to content

The Wanderer - Issue 100

Hi All

As you may be aware the first edition of our fa The Wanderer in 2015/16 will be issue number 100. As the tagline of The Wanderer has always been 'By the fans, For the fans' we'd like to do is gather some memories of supporting Wycombe since the magazine's inception in 1994.

Below some questions related to supporting Wycombe and your highest and lowest personal moments and memories. We will then collate these into the next edition.

If you have the time and would like to contribute, please answer as many or as few of these questions as you would like, and e-mail the answers to [email protected] by Sunday 19th July.

Many Thanks

All answers need to be from the 1994/95 season onwards (when The Wanderer started)

What’s your favourite Wycombe game?

What’s your favourite goal?

What’s the best goal you’ve seen Wycombe score?

What was the worst moment?

What is the funniest thing you have seen at a Wycombe game?

What was your most emotional moment at a Wycombe game?

Comments

• What’s your favourite Wycombe game?
    If i had to pick one game to see again, it would either be when we won at Moss Rose in 98/99, or that night at Selhurst.

What’s your favourite goal?
    Matt Lawrence at Macclesfield and Paul McCarthy at Selhurst. Tommy Mooney's late winner at home to Swindon was pretty special as well. And Brownie's long range effort against ColU. I can't not mention Roy Essandoah's goal. Seriously, who can just pick one!

What’s the best goal you’ve seen Wycombe score?
    Dave Carroll at Wembley, Matty Warner's free kick from about 35 yards in an FATC game in the late 90s (?) Alfie's goal against Luton this year. Ian Stonebridge against Swindon in the LDV in 06/07 has to the best tho' doesn't it?

What was the worst moment?
    The week between the Bristol Rovers game and the Torquay game wins by a country mile. All i could see in front of us, at best, was Conference football.

What is the funniest thing you have seen at a Wycombe game?
    @Tory_Goon's pitch invasion at London Road at the end of the 03/04 season.

What was your most emotional moment at a Wycombe game?
    I cried after we lost 6-3 to Peterboro', when Mansfield cheated us out of the cup in 03/04, after both Wimbledon games, when we lost to Liverpool, and when Mansfield beat Bristol Rovers. I've forgiven Mansfield!

• Favourite Goal
    Guppy v Runcorn in the promotion season - a) because it was a damn good goal b) because it just about sealed promotion c) for the look on Ken McKenna's face
    Funniest thing
    Well not that funny but amused me at the time. Altrincham away first FAT semi final. Alty pushing for an equaliser , hoofed clearance from defence spun high in the air and landed flush in a black plastic two foot high bin, seemingly with a nest of wasps living in it. Alty forward called for the ball to be returned quickly. Apparently urgency of the situation dissipated when invited to get it himself and he saw the wasps. For all i know ball might still be there!
    Emotional Moment
    Has to be torquay away last season (13/14). Amazing collective crowd mood going from defiant pride pre match as most expected at best to be kissing goodbye to league status to surprise and then nervous tension as suddenly just maybe the Great Escape seemed on to the massive release of elation and the Plainmoor Roar as news came through that Mansfield had won. That day from a football perspective will never be beaten.

• hey, Dev........."All answers need to be from the 1994/95 season onwards (when The Wanderer started)"

• @floyd I'm presuming that the Macclesfield game in 98/99 has particular personal significance for you? It wasn't even the most memorable game that season was it?

• oops

• @eric_plant Very much so. Went to the game with my dad's dad who passed away a couple of years ago. He took me all over the country to racetracks and museums, but this was the only away game we went to together. I'll never forget it.

• @floyd lovely scenes. Football evokes such emotions and memories. Thanks for sharing

• @floyd You'll get me in trouble telling such lies!