Skip to content

Man of the Match - Cambridge (H)

My apologies for the very belated poll - I was meeting some of you lovely people!

MOTM
  1. MOTM?72 votes
    1. Ravizzoli
        1.39%
    2. Grimmer
        8.33%
    3. Low
        4.17%
    4. Taylor
        2.78%
    5. Harvie
        0.00%
    6. Scowen
        6.94%
    7. Morley
      33.33%
    8. Humphreys
        5.56%
    9. McCleary
      31.94%
    10. Udoh
        0.00%
    11. Kone
        2.78%
    12. Sadlier (sub)
        0.00%
    13. Lubala (sub)
        1.39%
    14. Butcher (sub)
        1.39%

Comments

• In a game where everyone performed well (including Grimmer), I thought GMac was a constant threat to the Cambridge defence, turning them inside out down the right wing. To sprint around the pitch for the full 90 minutes was remarkable at the age of 37, so he gets my vote.

I expect he won't feature as a starter on Tuesday, MB should keep him fresh to terrorise Bristol R.

• It’ll be no surprise to anyone who read my comments about him on the matchday thread that I’ve gone for Aaron Morley. He looks Championship class.

• GMac for me, the energy he has for a player of his age is incredible, he continues to prove wrong anyone who doubts that he's still got it.

• Oh, Garath McCleary

How lucky we are, we blessed few, to see such a player play for us

• Kone unlucky not to get a vote here

• Morley for me. Some of those slide through passes were spot on to push the game forward. Class

• Hear hear to that. No surprise to see Gmac and Morley neck and neck. @bargepole had it spot on. I prevaricated long and hard but then I remembered that you and a few others had commented recently (and I totally agreed) that we needed a creative midfielder (along the lines of Barry Bannan, perhaps) who was calm in possession and able to make those all important defence splitting forward passes.

I also had in mind @FarmerCee’s comment about Morley having perhaps lost a bit of confidence. MOTM votes (assuming the players get to see or hear about them) wouldn’t do any harm!

• Morley for me, it seemed to me that almost every pass he made created a chance, but praise all round.

• Yes, very surprising. Low turnout of course and oodles of competing claims.

Can’t find it now but someone made a beautiful comment about him wearing one of their central defenders throughout the game. As if velcroed together.

• If Morley doesn't get it in this game he surely never will.

• Morley baby. All day. Superb game from him and very exciting. A profile of player we’ve not really had in my lifetime. Unlocks a lot of passages of play that were previously inaccessible to us. Seriously shrewd recruitment picking him up.

• I went for GMac but sayong that - Morley and Humphries to Wycombe? Thanks must go to the management/recruitment team.

• Almost certainly the best pair of loan players we’ve ever had.

• The race between Morley and McCleary is really hotting up.

• edited September 22

Poor Cam. Sandwiched between the leaders with just three votes despite scoring his second brilliant goal in as many league games - a goal worth two invaluable points.

• Morley for me but so many good performances yesterday. Special shout outs also to the ageless GMac, Richard Kone for his sheer persistence and Dan Harvie who looked really good going forward yesterday and delivered some good left footed corners as well

• Went for Grimmer (and I was not the only one) for his around play and leadership. But so many good games and so many deserving winners

• Tough call this week. When we signed Morley he was mentioned as similar to Lewis Wing, and you can certainly see that. Humphreys shows how just 20 games in the senior game can make a difference when you compare him to Freddie Potts last season. Both are brilliant technical talents but he is already up to speed with his decision making. I just hope we can keep him for a full season and that the inevitable new manager at Bolton doesn't look at Morley and think 'WTF were we thinking?'.

• Steven Taylor and Luke Moore, surely?

These two are great though

• I can't remember whether Peter Garland had a fellow traveller.

• Saunders and Yenneris were certainly a good pair from Brentford.

• that's a really good shout, @mooneyman. Hayes and Doherty were also a really impactful duo when they arrived from the Valley.

• Level pegging between Taylor/Moore and Yennaris/Saunders I reckon. The former pair only played six matches each for us but I’ve no idea if they played all six together. That was 20 years ago.

If we’re fortunate enough to keep Humphreys and Morley for the whole season, they could well top the poll.

Fingers crossed.

• I think Bolton will let Morley stay... and Ipswich have a decent squad, but we have to hope Ipswich don't want to generate some headlines about another young player dazzling in the Prem on MOTD.

• Maybe we can tempt Bolton to sell Morley to us in January, he is certainly an excellent player. Humphreys is also an outstanding player, I can see him staying for the whole season but doubt we can prise him away from Ipswich.

What a great bit of business by Rice/Bloomfield and add to that the signings of Fred, Dan Udoh, Harvie (who is now showing his true class). We need to see more of Taylor but my feeling is he will also be a very good bit of business. Well done both, we all know you worked very hard to get these deals done.