Skip to content

Best 11 and subs

We probably have one of the strongest squads we have had for quite a while and selection will be very interesting. If most of our squad are fit, it will be a challenge to get in the match day squad.

My 11 plus subs and there will be others who think differently;-

George

Grimmer, Low, Taylor, Harvie

Morley, Scowen, Humphreys

Onyedinma, Udoh, Sadlier

Subs:- McCleary, Kone, Tafazolli, Leahy, Butcher, Pattenden, Ravizolli.

Comments

• Wheeler, McCarthy, Hanlan, Bakinson, Hartridge, Lubala, Kodua not even in that 18.

We're stacked! We'd definitely have to look at a couple of loans to get players some football.

• Bloomfield constantly mentions how it’s a squad game and rotation is obviously incredibly important, so this is merely a pub take from me.

I want the fluidity of a back four or five depending on phase of the game. Positional fluidity. I’ll list it in a back five but you can probably guess the back four version.

George; Pattenden, Low, Tafa, Leahy, Onyedinma; Scowen, Humphreys; Sadlier, Udoh, Lubala.

• Is the back 4 / back 5 fluidity to account for the fact that Taf will go off injured by half time?

• edited September 11

(4-4-2): Bishop; Grimmer, Low, Skura, Harvie; Onyedinma, Scowen, Humphreys, Lubala; Udoh, Kone. Subs: George, Hartridge, Butcher, Wheeler, McCleary, Sadlier, Hanlan.

In that side Ravizolli, McCarthy, Taylor (I’ve not seen him play so can’t judge), Pattenden, Tafazolli, Bakinson, Morley, Leahy, Kodua, Vokes and Bartolo do not even make the squad emphasising just how good the squad actually is!

• Pattenden in the first choice XI is crazy talk, as is not including Sadlier

• I think everyone has picked Sadlier?

• edited September 11

I've had a think about this in my head........ then look at who ive put on the bench..... and who ive left out of the match squad entirely and shake my head in disbelief.... what a treat to have such headaches eh?!

• Correct. As much as Sadlier has impressed of late, when everyone is fully fit, I believe there are bigger match winners in that squad.

• GEORGE

LOW TAYLOR TAFF

FRED HARVIE

SCOWEN

LEAHY HUMPHREYS

UDOH

HANLAN

• 5-2-3

George

Fred Harvie Low Skura Leahy

Scowan Humphreys

McLeary Kone Lubala

• How often has Matt Bloomfield opted for a 4-4-2 formation as manager?

• Bishop

Grimmer Low Tafazolli Harvie

Wheeler Scowen Fred

Humphreys

Vokes Udoh

• What we now have is real depth in our squad and it’s clear we’ll all come up with different teams bearing in mind the quality in the squad assembled . I wonder if the pressure has suddenly raised significantly for Bloomfield to have a successful season. Good transfer window , good loanees brought in and Fred joining as well on what I’d assume was a decent salary bearing in mind he was Premier League last .season. The new owners have certainly backed Bloomfield.Will their expectations be a lot higher. Interesting times. Perhaps the academy may not be the only focus going forward.

• Rav

Grimmer Low Taf Harvie

Scowen Butcher

GMac Humphreys Fred

Kone

Im not sure about George until I’ve seen him so will stay with Rav for now. I think we always look a better team with both Taf and Butcher in. I love Sadlier but Fred when he is fit is better. No 10 is the tough one for me it could be Fred with Humphreys on the left or Udoh or even Sadlier

I actually think we will see a back 3 as much as a 4 depending who we are playing / game situation. If so I would have Low Taf and Skura. Now I’m confused!!

• edited September 11

I feel many of us thought we have recruited well.... but were perhaps missing a marquee signing....

Well.... I'll be buggered if Fred doesn't count as that significant signing we all hoped for....

Optimistic heads on ladies and gents.... let's see how this season turns out...

• We’ve got some terrific competition throughout now. Even what might constitute our EFL Trophy XI could be strong.

But much like when you start to replace your favourite Master League players on Pro Evo, we may start to see some old favourites eased out.

• There are question marks over so many players in this squad I think it’s difficult to assess its strength at the moment.

A lot of players have something to prove over the next four months, with lots of competition for places (except left-back). Let’s see which ones step up and deliver consistently good performances.

• I would argue there is plenty of competition for places at left back with Harvie, Hartridge, Leahy, Onyedinma, McCarthy and Pattenden all able to play there.

Harvie clearly the outstanding candidate but I don’t think he has started as we would have wanted so far so I think a bit of pressure on him.

• edited September 12

None of those alternative players are left-backs, with the exception of Luke Leahy, who was signed on the basis of his performances as a central midfielder with Shrewsbury Town.

I’m not sure Leahy will be fit before the transfer window opens in January in any case.

• Dan Harvie is a left back isn’t he?

• Pedants of the world unite.

• I didn’t mean to be pedantic, I thought you were going to say he only ever played wingback for the franchise or something like that.

I agree we look weak at left back unless Harvie improves.

• They have all previously played in that position at some point, three of them this season in addition to Harvie. The fact that Hartridge played there against Swansea would suggest he can offer competition for that role, regardless over what you or I may think about his qualities.

• Cameron Humphreys has also played left back for Ipswich.

• The first time I ever saw Harvie play was for us vs Wrexham. I am very much a pedant although I try and fight the instinct.