Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Wrexham

Comments

• edited August 10

Tiny improvements in the last 15 there, but hard to know if that’s because Wrexham had settled for HT. Only GMac and Kone rising above anonymity

Butcher for Bakinson and Taff for Hartridge please.

• We have been desperately unlucky too - hitting the woodwork something like three times in a minute or two.

• So Wrexham did just need to turn up to win this one.

• How have we not scored at the end of the half?!

As poor as we’ve been, the half was defined by those two moments. We were half asleep for their first goal and while we gave the ball away for the second, you can’t really argue with the quality of the goal.

You felt we needed a goal in the first half to have a chance of a draw, feels like a long way back now.

Not convinced by Leahy in midfield, Kone showed too many non-league touches for my liking and none of the debutants impressed.

Oh well - long season…

• Yes we’ve been horrendous (especially defensively) but we should have scored at least once, possibly twice in that half. Can’t remember too many clear cut chances for Wrexham aside from the goals.

• Getting sick of the Wrexham love in , think the early injury unsettled us , think Wrexham are vulnerable at back an early goal they could flap .

• I would give back all of the new players in a heartbeat, though I know that is a huge overreaction and they should be fine.

Hartridge has looked genuinely surprised when he has to take any steps to receive a pass, and barely brings it in with a desperate stretch.

We do need an early goal for the second half, as that would change everything.

• Shame that scramble at the end didn’t result in a goal.

Good to see us at least getting something going in last few minutes.

Concerned by lack of pace in this team.

impressed with stream quality great on sky sports App.

• He knows how to cultivate a like doesn't he!

Being 6 yards out and almost putting it out for a throw obviously not changing his mind,

• I just found the real culprit - 56-44 possession to us!

• Came back into that well last 15 minutes

Score first second half and it's game on

• Truth is we defended poorly when asked to and weren't clinical in front of goal when we needed.

Change those round and we could be leading 3/4-0.

• Encouraging bits and pieces at the end of the half is the main positive.

Hopefully start in a similar fashion and give ourselves some sort of hope.

• Not sure about Kone as lone centre forward, far too easy for the defence every time it's punted up to him. Big choices ahead now for Blooms, you don't rip up the plan entirely because of a bad half against a good team but we are miles off. Sads and GMac getting little bits of joy but nowhere near enough.

• We've been pretty poor and still created equally good chances. On that basis you'd have to conclude Wrexham look vulnerable at the back.

Bakinson was terrible for half an hr.

Kone fluffed two chances and didn't offer much as a CF. He'll need to do better than that to be a starting striker at this level.

Seems weird to me having Josh as the furthest forward of the midfield 3. Not seen much ball played through midfield on the floor.

Sadlier looked really sharp. He could have a great season.

• Getting Butcher on straight away seems a sensible one.

• For me I’d start the same as ended well but get ready to put Leahy at LB and Butcher on in midfield, take Harvie off. If Bakinson doesn’t get into the game soon then take him off for Vokes and have 2 up top.

Come on Wycombe, definitely goals for us in this game!

• Does feel to me that if we’re going to play this midfield shape with the same personnel, then we need to swap Scowen and Bakinson over.

I’d definitely rather have Scowen scuttling around in front of the back four.

• I'm not particularly impressed by Wrexham which makes it all the more disappointing.

• Agree about Kone - you can see all the talent in there and there’s some lovely hold up play and flicks, but that’s only 25% of the time. 75% of the time the CB doesn’t have to try to win it. Fluffing the sitter wasn’t ideal either…

• Scowen wasted in the more advanced position. Missing Potts.

• I’ve got a horrible feeling that I’m going to be saying this a lot this season. Scowen is probably the best defensive midfielder in the league, for goodness sake play him in his best position. Bakinson off for Butcher, and then get Scowen on front of the back four.

• Absolutely this.

I'd be looking at a 4-1-3-2 or 5-2-3 if we wanted to play with wingbacks.

Just can't play with a lone striker if you can't get the service to him!

• Kone has been slightly disappointing.

• I agree a better side today would thump them we just started badly .

• It seems almost inevitable that one of our players who has had a torrid game (to be fair, most of them) will pop up with a goal.

I am just gutted we did not get it to 2-1 with those pinballs. It would already be a completely different game.

• Better start to the second half

• Didn't take long for our excitement to be dissipated! Good to learn the lessons now, maybe a good half time talk with bring about a change.