Skip to content

Cricket veterans World Cup coming to Bucks & Berks

The cricket World Cup is about to commence in Bucks & Berks but specifically for veterans. 7 countries are taking part with the final being at Wormsley (near Stokenchurch) on Sunday 11th August.

Matches will be of 45 overs per side & play will commence at 1pm. Many venues will be used locally. Having been to see a warm-up match between the Rest of the World & Australia at Hawridge & Cholesbury Cricket Club (near Chesham) on Tuesday I can vouch for it being a fun day. The Aussies were extremely competitive but were good fun off the pitch. The full programme is as follows:

Sunday 28/7/24:

England v Sri Lanka (High Wycombe CC)

India v New Zealand (Amersham CC)

Australia v Wales (Finchampstead CC)

Tuesday 30/7/24:

New Zealand v Sri Lanka (Beaconsfield CC)

England v India (Slough CC)

Australia v Canada (Teddington CC)

Thursday 1/8/24:

England v New Zealand (Marlow CC)

India v Sri Lanka (Farnham Royal CC)

Wales v Canada (Bishops Stortford CC)

Sunday 4/8/24:

Australia v New Zealand (Farnham Royal CC)

India v Wales (Marlow CC)

Canada v Sri Lanka (High Wycombe CC)

Tuesday 6/8/24:

Wales v New Zealand (Bishops Stortford CC)

India v Canada (Cookham Dean CC)

England v Australia (Beaconsfield CC)

Thursday 8/8/24:

Canada v New Zealand (Marlow CC)

Australia v Sri Lanka (Royal Ascot CC)

England v Wales (Bishops Stortford CC)

Friday 9/8/24:

Australia v India (Royal Ascot CC)

Wales v Sri Lanka (High Wycombe CC)

England v Canada (Wargrave CC)

SUNDAY 11/8/24:

THE FINAL (Wormsley Cricket Ground, Stokenchurch HP14 3YE

Comments

• What constitutes a "veteran" for this? Over 50s?

• Seems it is over 70s, can't really find too much info about it beyond that. Would be good to know if there will be any known players involved in any of the squads

• It’s over 70s but there are allowances for late 60 year olds.

• I noticed some teams are playing two days in a row. I struggle to do that in my forties!!!

also, puts into perspective how much TV now controls events. The recent T20 World Cup was a joke with a high number of games postponed due to the weather but the powers that be had no reserve days.

• Just an update. All the matches start at midday not 1pm. The final at Wormsley (August 11th) starts at 11am.

• Any idea of lineups?

Are their likely to be ex-test players?

• Lovely setting a healthy crowd for England v New Zealand at Marlow CC today. In their 45 overs New Zealand recovered from 23-4 to finish on 149-8 England need 150 from their 45 overs.

• Do you have the line-ups @A_Worboys ?

Oak Tree Road is a lovely place to watch cricket.

• Unfortunately not.

• This includes live scores and full line ups. No names in the England team which I recongnise, but over 70s will largely be before my time of watching cricket.

• Many thanks for the info chaps.

• 9-5-5-0 is a serious analysis! Duncan Elder is also a delightful piece of nominative determinism.

• The England wicket keeper was one of my PE teachers at school

• Actually he's not the keeper despite being listed as such on that site.

• Sunday's final in this competition features England v Australia at the Getty Cricket Ground in Wormsley. This is just outside Stokenchurch on the Ibstone road. If you've never been there it's well worth a visit.

The match is of 45 overs duration per side & starts at 11am. There's plenty of parking & food/drink available. Take your own folding chair & you'll get an excellent view from several parts of the ground.

• Batting first, Australia are 134-3 after 30 overs (45 over match). Beautiful day in the Buckinghamshire countryside at the Getty Estate nr Stokenchurch & a very good crowd watching, along with all the cricketers who have taken part in the competition.

• At the halfway stage Australia reached 208-8 in their 45 overs. England to start their reply after lunch.

• England win! With 10 balls to spare England (208-8) beat Australia (208-8) by 7 wickets. Great day in front of a very good crowd.