Skip to content

Leics CCC v Bucks CCC

edited July 22 in Not Football

In the annual Showcase game at Grace Road today, Leicestershire won the toss and elected to bat, making 295-6 off the 50 overs.

Sam Evans 86, Lewis Hill 71, Cameron Parsons 2-46, Conner Haddow 2-53.

Bucks bowlers were pretty tidy on a good batting wicket, and will be pleased to have kept the score below 300. Bucks took some very good catches, Leics batting was streaky at times. About 100 here.

https://ncca.play-cricket.com/website/results/6633948

Comments

• Bucks won by three wickets!

Bucks 299-7 off 48.4 overs, Haddow 21no, Parsons 75no (off 53 balls).

• edited July 22

A superb partnership of 94 off 63 balls, by the two Wycombe boys, saw Bucks home in a thrilling finish.

Earlier opener Vansh Jani laid a solid foundation with a classy 70 off 72 balls, including a partnership of 68 off 49 balls with stand-in captain for the day, Alexei Kervezee (39).

• And finally, a match report from Mike Knox, who older Gasroomers might remember writing the Chairboys' match reports for the BFP in the 80s.

"Bucks pulled off a stunning three-wicket victory over first-class opponents Leicestershire at Grace Road today.

High Wycombe clubmates Cameron Parsons and Conner Haddow starred with the bat as Bucks completed their second showpiece match victory in three years, having beaten Surrey at High Wycombe two years ago.

When the Wycombe duo came together, Bucks were 205-7 in pursuit of the home side's 295-6 in this 50-over match, needing an unlikely 91 off 11.4 overs to pull off a famous victory 

With Parsons, better-known for his parsimonious seam bowling, leading the way, the pair actually thumped the attack for 94 from 10.2 overs to see Bucks home to a famous victory with eight balls to spare. A final flourish saw them score 19 runs off the final five balls.

Parsons hit 75 from 53 balls, while Haddow scored 21 off 28 balls before the Bucks celebrations began. 

The platform for victory was laid by 19-year-old Vansh Jani and skipper-for-the-day Alexei Kervezee, who added 68 in eight overs for the fourth wicket.

Jani, an outstanding prospect, was unluckily run out for 70 off 72 balls, while Kervezee hit a rapid 39.

Ed Bragg kept up the chase with a lively 30 before the match-winning stand between Parsons and Haddow 

Earlier Leicestershire had won the toss and chosen to bat, reaching 295-6 from their 50 overs. Sam Evans (86 from 107 balls) and skipper Lewis Hill (71) added 145 for the third wicket in 25 overs before Liam Trevaskis added a final flourish with 45 from 29 balls, but it was to prove not enough.

Parsons was the pick of the Bucks bowlers, dismissing both openers in a ten-overs spell of 2-43, but it was as a batsman that he was to prove the match-winner on a memorable day for Bucks cricket."

• Fantastic result. When was the last time that Bucks beat a first class county?

• According to the match report above, two years ago vs Surrey

• I think it's the first win away against a first class county.

• Cameron Parsons & Conner Haddow gallantly following in the footsteps of Paul McCarthy & Roy Essandoh in silencing the Leicester boys!

• Just had a look at the minor counties website to try to get a feel for what “showcase” matches are. (I may have asked last year but can’t remember the answer!)

looks like all the other games were played at the non league teams ground. Why not for Bucks?

• That's a fantastic run chase, well played Bucks. Parsons is also a keen Wycombe fan, clearly the spirit of Essandoh was flowing through his viens during those final few overs.

• Good question @DevC, Bucks are the only National Counties team to play away, this and last year.

This year's Showcase games so far:

https://ncca.play-cricket.com/Matches?utf8=%E2%9C%93&tab=Result&selected_season_id=257&seasonchange=f&fixture_month=7&season_id=257&season_id=257&cup_id=none&division_id=117161&view_by=month&division_id=117161&cup_id=none

Three matches today:

Beds v Kent

Berks v Sussex

Devon v Somerset

Cheshire, Lincs and Bucks the NCCA winners so far.

I heard yesterday that Bucks offered to host Leics at Campbell Park*, Milton Keynes, but the offer was declined, for whatever reason.

I am surprised at the Bucks offer as I thought they did not want to host Sussex last year, due to difficulties in hosting Surrey the previous year, and that they were glad when Sussex agreed to host it.

I have always assumed that the First Class Counties were happy to play these matches as a warm-up for the Royal London Cup, and Leics host Notts tomorrow. I also heard yesterday that this is not the case and that they would rather not play them, being introduced as part of the ECB restructure of the County Championship.

* Campbell Park is an interesting venue, council owned and maintained, used by Stony Stratford, Bucks (youth and 2nd XI) and Northants 2nd XI. The large pavilion is mostly occupied by the Parks Trust, who maintain the MK parks. It lacks cricket nets, and a bar. Temporary nets and a mobile bar could be provided, if Bucks wanted to stage 1st XI matches there. It's most interesting feature is the grass terrace on one side. Aerial photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_fielding/49830254647

• Having played cricket for 35 years, I can say, a club without a bar, is not a proper club

• 🤣 Tradition is that a tray of pints, alcoholic or otherwise, is waiting for the players when they come off the pitch at the end of the day.

• I played plenty of friendlies/tour games/Sunday games where the tray of pints was brought out at drinks - no point waiting until the end of the day!

• More than one tray, surely.

• The Outfoxers.

2001 - Essandoh and McCarthy

2024 - Haddow and Parsons

• Today, Leicestershire hosted Notts in their opening Royal London Cup match. Leics made two changes from their defeat against Bucks and, after being put in, they made 369-6 off 50 overs. In reply Notts made 50-0 off 10.1 overs when the rain came. When play restarted, they required a revised score of 105 from 14 overs, meaning 55 from 3.5 overs. They ended up on 89-6, so Leics won by 15 runs on the DLS Method. All in all, that only underlined how well Bucks performed, against the current Royal London Cup holders.

One correction, Bucks were not the only NCCA team to play away. Herts lost to Sussex at picturesque Arundel Castle.

• Campbell Park not having a bar is not an issue. There are plenty of companies that can set up a fully-functional bar for a 3-day game. They’re specifically designed for corporate events so a 3-day cricket match shouldn’t present a problem.