Skip to content

Random Wednesday night quiz (reprise)

Q: Can you guess the two teams?

Comments

• edited July 17

Oxford City the first club.

I thought the second was Wycombe but it was Dennis Syrett who played in goal for us in 1957. Ron was his brother who played Rugby for England. This must be a different Ron Syrett who possibly wasn’t born in 1957.

• I know the second team and Laryer is spelt incorrectly.

• Yep, well done @wwfcblue

It is indeed Oxford City and Benny Laryea’s Maidenhead United.

The game was played on Monday 15th November 1982.

• I think there are 5 grounds in that league I haven’t seen Wycombe play at

• Bookertease which ones?

I don't recall going to Feltham, Hampton, Lewes, Hertford, Wembley, Hornchurch & Met Police.

I remember losing to the Met Police, I thought that was at Loakes park.

• edited July 18

Pretty sure I’ve seen us play at Hornchurch (can’t imagine why else I would have gone).

Less confidently I have a feeling that I have also seen us at Hertford - but age and memory may have let me down on that front.

• Don't think we've ever played Hornchurch away (we have done at home). Pretty sure we've never played Hertford home or away.

• edited July 19

We played the Metropolitan Police in an F.A. Cup 4th qualifying round tie at Imber Court in October 1965.

I think we might have played Harlow Town at Hornchurch in the late 70’s or early 80’s but can’t find a corroborating source. We definitely played Harlow Town at Epping Town.

• My memory is shocking! You are almost certainly right. But in my head I can picture a programme - (red on white no pictures) and having googled the Hornchurch Stadium it does fit in with what passes as a memory in my head.

I can only assume (that for reasons that entirely escape me) I somehow went to see a game NOT involving Wycombe there sometime between 1978 and 1983.

• Correction - we played Hertford Town on 22 November 1969, 4th qualifying round of the Amateur Cup at Loakes Park. We won 5-1.