Skip to content

Trump Assassination Attempt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cljy6yz1j6gt

Shocking events in the US but hardly surprising given the divisiveness of the man and the US’s love for and availability of guns.

Comments

• This is such a good photo that no doubt Democrats will say that the whole thing was staged.

(Checks Twitter)

Yup.......

• He's a very love/hate character (a little bit like Boris or Farage). In my opinion, he has done a lot of wrong than right and I'm very nervous what the world could look like over the next 4 yrs if he wins. However, he didn't deserve that and I wonder if his opinions on gun crime / laws might change now?

• Nobody deserves to be murdered. I’ve never supported the death penalty, I don’t think I ever will.

I doubt he will make any policy shift on guns, it wouldn’t sit well with his base. It has given him the perfect photo and an opportunity for his base to ask how did this happen? When we have a witness saying he told Police he saw a gunman on a roof and he wasn’t stopped, that question has to be answered. Witness lying to make it look like a deep state plot? Police in on the deep state plot? No-one reacted fast enough to what the witness said? This is a moment where my fear of the algorithm increases.

• Do we really need this thread on a Wycombe Wanderers forum?

• You didn’t need to read it.

• Unfortunately I think he's nailed on to win now. That picture will be used to galvanise his support, and with Biden looking and sounding worse and worse every week, but refusing to stand aside, I can only see it going one way.

• The outcome of this is the only reason that I didn't support him being assassinated.

A vile human who's a threat to democracy and the whole Western world who's now got a good photo and can play the victim further.

America is a shambles that the other side is going to lose to this joker

• I posted this in the Non Football section and it will have a bearing on all of us, even if like myself you have no interest in politics or the US.

• I've been presuming he's the money man behind the Couhig takeover of Reading

• The beauty of the gasroom is that we have threads such as this. Along with ones on culture and cheese puns. If it’s nacho thing, just remember we all have to take the gouda with the bad.

• Those on here who dislike Twitter should REALLY stay away today. It's gone shocking.

• Not sure Trump is big on buying things with his own money

• edited July 14

Firstly this is an appalling situation & no-one should be targetted in this way.

Secondly, my thoughts & condolences go out to the members of the audience who lost their lives or were injured.

The problem is this will boost Trumps position in the polls & as was evident last time the electoral college does not favour the democrats in the key swing states. Biden is currently 2pts behind in the polls & needs to be at least 4pts ahead to effectively be level pegging with Trump.

The Republican convention starts tomorrow, with Trump due to speak on Thursday following his confirmation as their presidential candidate (now an absolute foregone conclusion).

I think the Dems are almost at the point of having no choice but to ask Biden to withdraw & finding another candidate, but I think now there is little hope of anyone other than Trump winning - we should all be very afraid of that outcome...

• The coverage on BBC was a bit odd. They kept on calling the man as a suspect, now unless I’m reading the room wrong, if he is a suspect then why did they shoot him dead? I mean if they are wrong, he can’t be brought back to life, dust him down, apologise for the mistake and give him a free bottle of Jack Daniels as a bit of compensation can they!

• edited July 14

Looks like they returned fire. The question s that the Secret Service and the police have to address is how, if reports are true, was a rooftop 200m from Trump accessible? How, if reports are true, was nothing happening to protect Trump seconds after people told police there was a man with a gun on a roof?

If reports are true I’m sure it will be cock-up not conspiracy. A cock-up that has handed Trump the Whitehouse.

I believe Biden is on record just a few days ago as having said it is time to put Trump in the crosshairs. I doubt the shooter responded directly, although we may never know, but as we now say, the optics are a fucking disaster for Biden.

• edited July 14

• Shoot first and ask questions later is fairly popular until it's someone you know.

•  Trump winning - we should all be very afraid of that outcome...

We went into the Championship when he was President. Just saying.

• Was going to say, surely @EwanHoosaami has been around long enough to understand that's the American policing way!

• They've not changed for countless senseless shootings at schools and universities, so no chance now.

In fact there's probably large amounts of people suggesting more guns would be the solution.

• This has nothing to do with Wycombe, they keep going on about trump, what about the poor innocent person that died.

• Very valid point at the end of that sentence.

But clearly this thread is on the "Not football" section of the forum, so doesn't even need to be about football, let alone Wycombe Wanderers.

• I agree that nobody deserves to be murdered. But the likely Trump presidency is a dangerous thing for the World (including South Bucks and Marlow bistros). So a cold utilitarian philosophy would enact a Trump assassination.

• edited July 15

I was looking at going to the world cup in the USA/ Mexico, but much less likely if the USA becomes an outright evangelical dictatorship under an orange rapist with the IQ of a potato.

• I’m not sure whether ‘England’ will be allowed to have an independent national football team in the Putin European Satellite States…

• Trump's VP pick, JD Vance, recently said thet the UK has become an Islamic state under the new Labour Government. So I wouldn't worry about going to the next World Cup as they probably won't let British people in.