Skip to content

Aylesbury United v Wycombe Wanderers Friendly

2»

Comments

• I was at the game and as Steve has said we made a big improvement in the second half after a nervous start against a decent Aylesbury team. I was impressed with our big CD (number 6), like Terry Evans but without his muscular physique, and with the tenacious midfielder (number 21), a Josh Scowen/Stuart Lewis type of player. Entertaining game for a pre season friendly and excellent referee by the way.

• 24 was good too, some good skills. All in all, a great evening out, if you could use your connections to publicise and get a friendly at Hitchin Town @glasshalffull then that would be a treat for the Wycombe fans.

But more Friday night football helping out local clubs please.

• It's worth mentioning that Aylesbury had a completely different team in the second half. Their forward line was excellent in the first half, especially the short, muscular trialist on the right, who was very quick. Every time they went forward, I thought the Ducks were going to score.

• I had to do a double take when I saw this fixture and score on the Futbol24 App. I had no idea it was on! 300 is a respectable crowd for a very early pre-season (B team) friendly at neither side’s home ground. If we do head to Burnham, Marlow, Chesham, Maidenhead/delete or add as applicable, can we please get some notice? 😃

• Scary to think that for some of those lads, a PSF in June will be the peak of their footballing lives.

Perhaps CJ however will one day be able to tell the next generation of young wannabes “I didn’t get where I am today without scoring a goal against Aylesbury”

• If the 21 is ‘a Josh Scowen type of player’ sign him up. If he is ‘a Stuart Lewis’ then he can jog on.

• For me, Wycombe’s number 35 “Dennis” looked good - reminded me of Steve Thompson.

• Sorry can't remember his name, but is that young American lad that was with us that we loaned to Aylesbury last year still about ? Can't remember hearing anything about him.

Also, might be dreaming this all up, but did I see someone say the big lad at the back 'Jack' has actually signed for us already ?

• We have signed defender Jack Matton, but the Jack last night looked different to me.

• Obviously Lewis wasn’t as good as Scowen but he played over 150 games for us and more than 400 EFL games in his career so he can’t have been that bad! All about opinions.

• I think that the 7-0 loss at Hanwell Town last pre-season, by a team of trialists, was a factor in keeping the game as low profile as possible. Together with the usual secrecy over player names. Supporters will always want to know the name of anyone wearing the quarters. If the club really wanted complete secrecy, and not have people like me uploading photos, they would have played it behind closed doors.

I did wonder if WWFC paid for the cost of staging it, otherwise it would be unfair to deprive Aylesbury United of income by not publicising it. 

I am grateful that it was played in public, it gave the opportunity for an unexpectedly early PSF, and the match was well worth watching. It might even be the earliest public one we have ever had, I need to look through match records.

• Max Cavana, spent last season on loan at Aylesbury. Would anyone recognize him if he did play last night?

• Friday was the club's earliest ever pre-season match in public.

The previous earliest was on 5th July 2005, against UE San Jose at Portmany, Ibiza, in the San An Cup semi-funal. The final was two days later against Oldham Athletic. In this country, we played Havant & Waterlooville away on 6th July 2013.

• Has it been established yet whether Jack Matton is really 6’8” ?

And growing.

• The Jack at Beaconsfield looked 6'8", but he looked different to Matton.