Skip to content

When did football peak for you - or has it?

2»

Comments

• 1966 for me too.

The film of the tournament, "Goal!", is the best football documentary film ever. Something I've just found out, there is no live sound, all dubbed on afterwards.

• Psycho's free kick was two minutes into my career watching the Blues, few moments have beaten it since for pure visceral joy. What a game to name as the first ever football match I attended.

• Man for man I can’t think of many better teams in my lifetime (38 years…). But for one bad game and a bit of bad luck they would’ve completed a domestic treble too. Brilliant side and at the time still quite likeable before the nation turned on them for their success.

• When Westie scored the winner at Bognor in '87.

• Well that's reassuring, I thought I was the only one who had completely lost interest in the Premier League, UCL etc. I literally only watch Wycombe and England, I find cricket, boxing, athletics and jumps horse racing much more engaging these days. And of course the Olympics which for me beats all other sporting events hands down.

• Oh and my football peak, probably Italia 90 and Euro 96. Domestic football is easy, 2002/03 when I discovered WWFC, fantastic.

• I have fond memories of the late 1960’s through to the 1980’s. Living in the Marlow area , when on leave from the armed forces, I would select which London 1st Division game ( now the premier league ) to see on a Saturday. I would go the selected game venue and queue up to purchase my ticket and watch the game. I saw all the greats of the period in action from members of the World Cup side from 1966 to George Best and many more football icons of that period. Season tickets not required. Early 70’s spent some weekends in Leeds watching Leeds United during their halcyon days. Saw a couple of Leeds v Chelsea games which was carnage both on and off the pitch. I wonder how many players would be left on the pitch with present day interpretation of the rules of football. Last couple of decades watching Wycombe has also created great memories particularly the visits to Villa Park for the FA cup semi final and Selhurst Park for the Wimbledon replay. Watching Bayo in action was a privilege.

• Brazil 4 Italy 1 1970 World Cup. Too young to watch it but just know it did.

• Man Utd were not the best team in Europe in 1999. Flukey win Bayern hammered them. Though City were undoubtedly the best team in Europe last year as Liverpool were when they won their European Cups of the 70s. Without the now admitted referees' favouring United in their 90s/00s 'glory' years I wonder how much they'd have won.

• edited May 25

Bayern only dominated that final because Keane and Scholes had the stupid second yellow bans which thankfully no longer exist. Fergie did not help with his shuffle, but it just made it all the more dramatic. How close United came to disaster so many times that season (0-1 on 88 mins to Liverpool in the Cup, that semi with Arsenal, CL Group of Death and 0-2 at Juventus, behind to Tottenham) just made the achievement more incredible.

City are a bland, sterile state-run sportwashing vehicle. Nothing to set the pulse racing unless you are a City fan burying your head in the sand as to how it has all happened.

• You often have to ride your luck in finals and United certainly did in 99. But for someone to say they didn't have a legit claim to be up there as best in Europe that year is a bit daft and just the classic bitter sort of comment rival fans make.

City's "success" is on MK levels of disgrace and just gets met with a shrug from other clubs. They could genuinely win 20 titles in a row and 5 or 6 trebles and they'd never put the likes of United, Liverpool, Arsenal in their shadow.

• Someone is showing their true colours today!

• edited May 25

The thing that makes me laugh is that City "can't wait to prove their innocence" and yet they have appealed and appealed everything they possibly can for years to avoid just that scenario. Some of the appeals were basically on the level of "I appeal your face". Hardly the behaviour of innocents.

And even if by some wild chance they have not cheated...they are STILL sportswashing.

• You wonder what other industries a regulator can command you to present evidence and you can just say nahhh and get away with it for years.

• Another factor was that a large section of the squad were either British or Irish and had come through Utd's academy. Whereas with City, only Foden is considered 'home-grown' and they have just thrown money at the squad until the started winning

• Imagine likening Man City to MK Dons

Absolutely clueless

• edited May 25

For me, City and Newcastle are far worse for the sport than MK.

MK is a failed experiment that has brought them so much hatred that I doubt anyone would ever dare try the same thing.

City and Newcastle are successful (wildly, in the case of City) sports-washing experiments for countries with abysmal human rights records that will encourage more to try.

The MK thing especially harmed the passions of their little football eco-system. The sports-washing lot represent those who have beheaded journalists, victimized all kinds of people, etc.

• Just before the first division was rebranded as the 'premier league'

• I disagree, but just fyi you and Malone are making different arguments

• At least if you support Man City you can talk your dad about his favourite players growing up.

• Fair enough - both clubs are going to be very divisive and produce a lot of different perspectives.

• Let’s face it until this financial doping situation gets sorted out at City football fans far and wide will sneer at any achievement. And rightly so.

But that’s never going to happen

• Highs for me Wimbledon away in the cup. Leicester away in the cup. Bloody Marvellous. Biggest low Derby County points deduction the following season. I’m still pissed at that and always will be

• Agreed. I would also add the first FA Trophy win under MON, that was a great day. We took the boys into Wycombe next day to see the open top bus parade and balcony session, that was brilliant.

We have been very lucky.

• There have been a few peaks for me over the past 56 years but none greater than this one.

https://youtu.be/9-xbaLLlQbI?si=9NE3U0LtEEmOXNM0