Skip to content

England U21 look really pathetic

Kane and company look lethargic and laboured. Looks like a 0-0. Hopefully they will now score!

Comments

• Told you so but they were still very poor. We seem afraid to take a positive and high tempo approach to International games.

• These U21 players aren't bothered. They'd prefer to be on the beach with their mates and a good tournament means little in terms of wealth or recognition. They are already rich and becoming a regular at their club is unlikely for many. There is, quite simply, no hunger to succeed and to be honest I'm not bothered about investing much time in bothering to watch.

• I sit on the otherside of the fence, listened to the u21 match on BBC 5 live as the coverage was licensed too BBC Sports 1/HD and unfortunately I only have Sky Sports. Nevertheless I get behind and believe in the all the UK U21 teams and the youth.

Sweden played for a draw, so playing two banks of two is very hard to break down. I was overjoyed when Jesse scored.

Well done England and Gareth Southgate and look foward to seeing more of those guys.

• Not saying I don't support the U21 team at all Cider. It is more a matter of approach. As you say, two banks of four are hard to break down but when you try and do that with just one up front, then it can become harder.
    However you look at it, positively or otherwise, the U21 team looked lethargic and lacked hunger for the game.
    Maybe an early goal, had Kane scored with that far post header, would have changed the whole outlook.
    Let us see what happens next as we have all seen teams start poorly in tournaments and come away with the trophy at the end of the competition.

• Then again I was only able to listen to the match so the looking bit (lethargic) wasn't my remit.

I agree with just Kane upfront. I have always preferred 2 strikers up top.

• Are you a headline writer for the Sun Mr 1990?

• The really disappointing ones are those who didn't go. Shaw, Jones, Wisdom, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shelvey, Wilshire, Zaha, Wickham. Some of those hold that playing for the senior side exempts them from selection, some of them are prepared to play through injury for their club but won't play when fit for their country because they need a rest, but all of them bar Shelvey, Wisdom and Shaw (who is the only one to be faintly excused) played the final game of the season without apparent incident and I don't think those who didn't play were excluded through injury.

I have no idea why Wisdom hasn't played for 2 years since his sending off. Is the player sulking or is Southgate not not needing his former captain?

Berahino`s injury on the eve of the tournament was a big loss to the team, that guy is exceptional.

• All points, spot on @Ed_

• Sterling, Barkley etc etc

• So what the f@#$! happened Southgate. We didn't make it out of our group. Missed Pritchard big time.

• It doesn't help when the attitude before the tournament is more about how players should NOT be going as opposed to be enthusiastic that they are. The English attitude to development football at this level is a joke. A player has half a good season in the premiership, maybe 10 minutes in a full international v Moldova etc and then they are too good for the U21 and need to 'rest' or have a 'niggling injury'.
    In a word when Kane and Sterling are being quoted as being worth 35-50million pounds is it any wonder that the spoilt elite don't perform?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub, nailed it, young players born/bred in the UK are very much overrated compared to their European counterparts and beyond.

Raheem Sterling worth 35-50 million, it beggars belief?

• Spoilt, lazy and back on the beach. I really think our young English players today have no real link with reality and the supporters who pay good money to follow them across Europe and the World.

I must admit that I am coming to detest the Premier League and all it stands for.

When a youngster like Raheem Sterling can turn down £100K per week it really does beggar belief as per Cider's words above. Put him down the mines for a year then he will get some idea what hard earned money really means.

It is a disgraceful reflect of our stupid and greedy capitalist society.

• people have to be realists, Italy are a far better team not just in quality however it tactics and management to England. England lack quality, people who drum on and say England to win Euros and England to win WC are deluded.... it does not help that England are top seeds....when it comes to them playing the bigger nations then they have no chance---FACT!

• How does being seeded not help?

• then england would play a top tier team....hence better oposition!

• Until we take age group competitions seriously, all the way from U17, we'll never have a chance at the senior level.