Skip to content

Pete Couhig steps down

Comments

• Pete Couhig has taken the decision to step away from his official duties with Wycombe Wanderers Football Club.

Pete arrived at the club as Chief Financial Officer in 2019, playing an instrumental role in on and off-field matters as Wanderers rose to the Championship, remaining in the UK away from his family to steer the club through the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic.

He took up the post of Sporting Director and oversaw the creation and ongoing success of the development squad programme, which has seen the likes of Anis Mehmeti, Ali Al-Hamadi and Chris Forino flourish after being given the opportunity to kickstart their careers with the Blues.

Pete embedded himself with the local community, galvanising relationships with supporters and sponsors alike, and has remained an integral part of the club in recent times, assisting manager Matt Bloomfield with footballing and recruitment operations, particularly in the most recent January transfer window.

Rob Couhig said: "On a personal note, I have observed how much Pete and his family have sacrificed for the betterment of Wycombe Wanderers Football Club including living almost 18 months apart from his family during the COVID era.

"The Club, the supporters, players, and staff will miss his talent, energy, and enthusiasm. Much of Wycombe’s success on and off the pitch is directly the result of Pete’s work with the Club. Thank you Pete and also to Finney, Anna Reese, Buster, and Mac for sharing Pete with Wycombe."

Everyone at the club thanks Pete for his incredible service and remains ever grateful for the contributions he made for Wycombe Wanderers.

An open letter from Pete to Wycombe fans can be found below.

Dear Wycombe,

It’s time for me to retire. I have truly enjoyed my time working with Wycombe Wanderers but after five of the most successful years in the history of the Club, it’s time to move on.

Before I say anything, I want to thank my family. Finney, Anna Reese, Buster and Mac have sacrificed an incredible amount over the past five years. To be brutally honest, without their support I would have been gone a long time ago. And I want to thank Rob for being absolutely crazy and getting us into the most insane business I have ever been involved in and giving me pretty much free rein to run the football side of things. I don’t think anyone in our family would believe how well we work together, athough Missy may vouch for it. But we do and I have enjoyed it greatly. Thank you, Rob and Missy. This has been a great ride.

My goal with everything I’m involved in is to leave it better than it was before I got there and I think it’s pretty obvious we’ve done that here. The positive results on the field are too many to list so what I want to focus on is The Wycombe Way.

I was lucky we found a club whose soul and approach to the beautiful game matched my approach to business and life. I was always the little guy, an underdog in most situations, and every great moment and success in my life was created through a very similar team-family hard-working approach I found under Gareth Ainsworth and that now continues with Matt Bloomfield. And, speaking of those two, I hope every Wycombe fan counts your blessings every day to have had those men lead your football club.

I know I feel extremely fortunate to be able to work with them and am proud that Gareth remains one of my closest friends and that Matt, from the moment I met him, has become the type of manager I knew he could be. It has been a real pleasure working with him over the past year and a half. I know, like Gareth, that my relationship with Matt will continue long into the future. There are too many special moments that I've shared with these two legends, their staff and players over the past five years whereI know we will all be connected forever.

Wycombe was the perfect environment for me to continue my education in the game of football while utilising my business expertise and experience to help the club improve. I would like to sincerely thank Gareth, Matt and everyone on the football staff for answering all of my questions over the years. I thought I knew the game before I got to Wycombe, I feel like I have a Doctorate in Football at this point.

I am very pleased that not only did we maintain The Wycombe Way, I believe we augmented it and helped prove it correct once again. We made it to the Championship because of The Wycombe Way. We had five of the six greatest seasons in the club's history because of The Wycombe Way. And while it may have felt like second nature to me when I arrived, I was able to meet so many ex-managers, ex-players, Trust members, season ticket holders and supporters who told me so many stories that gave a deeper meaning to The Wycombe Way it made those feelings of mine I've long held even stronger and more important.

What I’m most proud of though - even more so than the Championship promotion - is the development programme. A long held theory of mine was proven correct and I was proud to throw my full weight behind its creation. I knew there were younger players out there that could have an impact at the professional level that had been flushed out of academies or were late developers physically or just for whatever reason ended up in non league football.

With more than 250 EFL starts produced out of the Development Squad in just four years, clearly it is working out very well. I love that this will continue to impact Wycombe long after I’m gone.

I have been extremely fortunate in my business career and I am very proud to add the successes of Wycombe Wanderers. We bought an English football club, invested time, hard work and money into it, and made the team more competitive than it ever had been in its history.

And for that, we can all thank the players. They are the ones who play the matches, who create the glory that makes us love them in irrational ways. Right now, writing this, memories of hundreds of games watching our boys play and years of watching them train are flooding my mind. They work so long, so hard, they all want it so badly. I have treasured every moment I've been around the lads, watching their dedication. I know these players will be leading Wycombe to greater glory and look forward to watching them accomplish their goals.

I have full faith in the team I'm leaving ... even though these five years seem like the greatest ever, I truly believe that brighter days are ahead for the Chairboys. We have been so good this calendar year and knowing how Matt and his staff work behind the scenes, I very much look forward to seeing the team play next year.

But, I am very happy to return to supporter status and I can assure you, after these five years I am and will always be WYCOMBE TIL I DIE.

What a club! 

I love yall, 

Pete

• edited April 29

My next prediction - missy to step down.

Not surprised by this news - think we all knew it was coming after the accidental early resignations at companies house.

He burned bright for the first few years. Perhaps too bright - and isolated this side of the pond during covid. His enthusiasm was infectious.

I see the sun coming up for the dawning of (another) new era.

• Thank you for your passion, drive and enthusiasm while you have been at the club! You'll be welcome back at any time! (PS, try not to bite too much at people on Twitter/X)

• What a great job you have done Pete and thank you for the last five years. You made many sacrifices and we all really appreciate that, maybe now you can join the gasroom?

Thank you very much!!

• A 10-pic Insta post - that's more than some players get!

• Not unexpected. Thanks Pete for all your hard work, the sacrifices you made and your amazing enthusiasm. We are certainly are in a better place . Interesting next few weeks. Which players leave or stay. New owners? New investment? Plenty of news to keep the gasroom busy over the summer months.

• Ha, the most photographed CFO in the football league?!

• Thank you Pete, you will be a big loss to our club.

• Thanks Pete , I think we all know that substantive changes off the field are going to happen in the near future.

• I like Pete, he's a good guy. And the sacrifice he made to stay over here during covid shouldn't be underestimated.

• This was one of the best things that the club did during COVID. We took the playoff trophy to a 97 yr old who had been shielding throughout the whole of COVID

• Thanks Pete for your commitment and hard work over the 5 years. Great heartfelt letter to us fans and good to hear you have caught the Wycombe bug. We will certainly miss your infectious enthusiasm. Very best wishes

• Was great to meet Pete in the concourse at Sunderland. Really sound bloke

On a more negative note I am concerned what happens after the Couhigs

• Good luck to him, Certainly put a lot of time and effort in and enthusiasm. Not an easy ask from overseas. Wonder if we'll see his name pop up around the MLS or similar as he doesn't seem to be finished with football.

• He's a bit of a bloody legend this bloke. I bet he's had a great time being involved in WWFC. Thank you for all of the effort you've put in Pete

• I love that he was the epicentre of all great things over the past five years. His enthusiasm was just so authentic and his passion infectious. His celebrations at Wembley and beyond were all of us, I felt that he represented the fans and not the owners he was so joy filled.

Good luck to him. And thank you Pete.

• Well done Pete, some amazing sacrifices and successes along the way. What you saw is what you got and your enthusiasm was/is infectious.

All the best for the future! Enjoy the golf!

• Loved his genuine passion, he really got the club and has played a big part in our success over the past few seasons. All the best, Pete, and thank you.

• Thank you Pete!

• Take care Pete and thank you for your hard work and passion. Come back and see us anytime.

• Thanks Pete - good luck with whatever is next, and all the best to your family.

• Thanks to you Pete and all the Couhig family. Our club is in a better place, that’s for sure.

Im a bit with @LX1 - just a little bit scared

• Thank you Pete. Wishing you all the best for your future endeavours/endeavors.

• I'll echo those thanks to Pete, Missy and Rob. What a crazy five years it's been - and I'm not just talking about the football.

As custodians of the football club you've done a pretty good job. Too many highs to mention them all but winning at Wembley against Oxford isn't a bad one to leave us with.

Best wishes for whatever you put your hand to next.

Up the Wyc!

• This has been on the cards since the Chiltern Taps closed the other week!

• All the best in whatever you do next.

A big thank you from me to you and your family for the sacrifices you have made, especially during Covid.

Its been one hell of a ride!

• May the force be with you wher’er you go, Pete. I’ll never forget that nutmeg!

• The only time I ever spoke to Pete was five years ago and the Couhigs had just been installed as our new owners. I was having a meal in the Chinese restaurant Noodle Nation with an Oxford fan and Pete brought in his uncle for a takeaway. I was leaving and decided to say a quick hello and wished them well. I also praised our manager, so I shall take small credit in advising them to keep him on! Considering the location I suggested they were prawn crackers in taking on a football club. However, they got the team on a spring roll but would they chop stick it out? Now that Pete is sesame toast I suppose his legacy will be did he give a peking duck about us? Yes he did.

• Very rice.