Skip to content

Samaritans Score Prediction Final Standings

Another season comes to an end - bit of a mixed bag with a dreadful run before Christmas turning round to a strong finish, a decent mid table effort overall and the crowning glory of another Wembley appearance. Not bad at all.

In the scoring competition, at half way @carrickblue lead but his challenge faded to a creditable fifth overall in the end. @Erroll_Sims was 21 pts off the lead at halfway and in lower mid table but roared back in the second half - second best scorer in the second half - to finish an excellent fourth. Little Miss Consistency @railwaybeth has entered this competition twice finishing in the top three both times. Perhaps next year will be the year she takes a well deserved crown. @mooneyman had an excellent season, at one stage being well clear but in the end had to settle for second to the predictor phenomenon - second best scorer in the first half, best scorer in the second half, highest number by far of correct scores and worthy champion, congratulations @NewburyWanderer.

Amongst the rest @HomeGameRegular won family bragging rights over @thedieharder as did @railwaybeth over @railwaysteve. In the battle of the @ryan_w_kirkby2 daughters, it has to be said Sadie - callously sacked by her dad early season in favour of daughter two- came off second best.

The final table looks like this

Good news is that as predictors we are getting better. The aggregate score of all of us in the first half of the season was 49 pts. The second half we garnered 920! Inevitably then we will all predict magnificently next season.

Myself and @railwaysteve have been running these competitions for six years now - this will be the first season where the same predictor has won both tournaments - a remarkable achievement that may well never be repeated. So I thought I would have a little look back at how we have all done over the years (top 3 places). Yes @NewburyWanderer leads that too.

And finally folks and very much most importantly, a huge thank you to those of you who made donations to the Samaritans. We raised over £500 this year which will have funded my local branch to answer about 500 calls from people in emotional distress. Some of those calls will have made a real difference to someone's life - perhaps this year or in the future one of those callers will be you or one of your family. Thanks so much for helping to fund the service.

I hope you have enjoyed this and @railwaysteve competition as much as I have. I hope we'll both be back to do it again next season.

Comments

• Three cheers for @DevC on a wonderful competition and for @NewburyWanderer on a well earned title :)

• Thanks as always @DevC. I really appreciate the work you put into this and its great to link it to a good cause.

• Thank you @DevC

• Excellent work @DevC , much appreciated.

If only I could understand the points scoring system ...

• Excellent work @DevC. Glad to have finished in a solid 10th position.

• Thanks @DevC. We go again next season (I hope!)

• Many thanks @DevC and to all of us for raising a decent total for a great cause.

Very happy with a ninth place finish. Some new signings in the summer and I have playoff hopes. My scouts have suggested I look at signing my tea leaves on a three year contract and I will be approaching the Good Lady Teacher Her Indoors with a view to securing a season long loan for the dog’s ability to forecast results through the medium of barking at pigeons.

• Very enjoyable competition superbly run by @DevC much appreciated. Hopefully you will carry on next season. Thank you.

• thanks very much for all you put into this @DevC.

• Yes, thank you as ever @DevC for putting this together.

• I’m glad I’m not the only one who hasn’t a clue about the scoring system. Great effort again DevC

• As other have said, thanks again @DevC, for running this. Excellent fun and helping to raise money for a good cause.

I'm happy to have finished 20 points clear of relegation, I feel a push for promotion next year is distinctly possible.

• Many thanks @DevC for running this, and enabling an important charity to benefit at the same time.

I don't really know how I managed to come out on top, especially in my first season, but as I mentioned yesterday on the Charlton thread, the fact that I will very rarely, if ever, predict a Wycombe defeat has definitely helped me during the second half of the season.

How I managed 11 correct scores though, God only knows!

Well done to all who entered, and let's hope that we can go again next season.

• I've always believed @DevC used the same algorithm as VAR uses for it's decisions, so good luck with that. 😆

• Thanks @DevC, it has been loads and loads of fun and good work indeed with raising the money for a fine cause. Sometime Wycombe are sure to win the league with 150 points and I will stand a chance of being somewhere near the top of the table.

• Thanks for another season of this competition @DevC

Thanks for your time and dedication.... and for raising funds for a very worthy cause. 🙌

• Many thanks @railwaysteve, hugely enjoyable competition. Really appreciate the time and effort you put in.

I'll settle for consistency, even if that equates to a lower mid table finish - it gives me room for improvement.