Skip to content

JJ's last game

Just announced on x / twitter that Saturday is it.

Comments

• What a player, and what a career. Thanks for everything, Joe!

• Knew it was coming, but even so......😢

• Does anyone else feel the tiniest bit sad he did not get one game as interim manager? That would have been a collector's item - and against his old club Shrewsbury, no less!

• I may well be in my mid-20s, but when I grow up, I want to be like Joe Jacobson

• Truly, JJ, it's been an honour to have you play 400 games for WWFC. Enjoy whatever it is you do next, there will always be a corner of Adam's Park with your name on where you are most welcome.

(Well two actually and another couple of spots!)

• Truly one of the greats. I'll have a tear in my eye come Saturday.

• Part of me wants to see JJ lead the team out for one last time.

However, he could then have to come off at some point if he can't make the full 90mins and may not have scored. Meanwhile, if he comes on late we could conclude with Charlton to allow him a final goal involvement.

What would be ideal is for him to start as captain and for us to win an early penalty - we'd have to kick the wrong way first half so it's in front of the terrace.

JJ can then score and continue his celebratory run straight down the tunnel to the sound of the well deserved rapturous applause.

• I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

• Do to the kick off time change, I'm unlikely to be able to make the start of the game. No way I'll be missing JJ's final match though, the guy's been an absolute hero for this club! Just hope he doesn't score and then get subbed after 10mins and I miss the whole send off!

I'm hoping we pull in our biggest crowd of the season. Speaking to a Charlton fan the other day, I gather they've sold out the away end. Our recent form and the chance to see JJ in action one last time should bring out the Wycombe support in good numbers.

• If JJ sticks one in from the corner in front of the terrace, I can only imagine the roar!

• On the pitch if JJ scores at the Valley End surely?

• What a servant he has been. A great bloke and a legend.

• combined with a fortuitously timed wedding, I shall be at only my second home game of the season. no chance I am missing the great man’s last game!

• The sort of classy write up and event you'd expect our club to produce - brilliant.

I remember Ainsworth's last (proper) game for us at home, was great fun willing him to score one last time.

Would be the same with JJ for any free kicks near goal, or even better some late pen drama.

For that build up he's got to be starting - and then come off to a big applause.

• @DJWYC14 I well remember you suggesting him on here.

• As a relatively recent convert to the spherical-ball game, even I can appreciate the lasting legacy that Joe Jacobson has left at WWFC.

Fortunately, I can easily make the 12:30 kick-off, and it will be a pleasure and a privilege to watch his 400th and last appearance in the quarters, and join in the standing ovation as he leaves the pitch for tthe last time.

If he scores, or assists a goal, and signs off with a win, that will be an added bonus.

• Quite simply one of the best signings the club has ever made, it's been a privilege to have a player of his quality stay with us so long and achieve so much with us.

And he hates the Franchise too...

• Wonderful signing, great player, great man, really didn't take him long to convince and then put in all sorts of great shows over the decade. I look forward to the tributes.

The hat trick or contributions in play offs most notable but also just watching goalies flapping at his corners and crosses was wonderful and his defending is superb and sometimes overlooked.

Even as the pace started to depart I thought he made a great option at wide centre back and probably would have played more there if the three at the back wasn't such a miss for others.

Is it just me or do they stop short of saying he's retiring, maybe fancies a few more games down the leagues.

• Thanks to my career and long association with WWFC, I have had the privilege of watching and meeting some great players and JJ is right up there with the best of them. Skillful, consistent, reliable on the field, and great company off it. Articulate, intelligent and always smiling, he is quite simply one of life’s good guys and I’m sure he will make a success of whatever he chooses to do next in his career. Farewell JJ and thank you for everything.

• edited April 25

Simply the best

• Thank you JJ, you've been a totemic presence on and off the pitch in your time with us. Scorer and provider of so many memorable goals and moments and a fantastic player throughout. I expect my voice and hands will be sore from all the cheering and clapping this Saturday. I have no doubt you'll get the send off you fully deserve.

• "one of life’s good guys" is perfect @glasshalffull - he really is.

• Have to assume he's definitely starting?

Would be a little awkward making a big thing about the 400th then bringing him on at 89mins?

Hopefully he starts and it spices up what could be a real dead rubber otherwise.

Every dead ball we'll be willing that magical 100th goal involvement.

• One of my all time favourite players.

As far as I’m concerned whenever we are in attack, all efforts should be hoofed at Charlton defenders with the intent to win corners.

Also deploying shithousery to win free kicks in JJ range is entirely acceptable.

I want him to score and then be subbed to huge applause.

• When he joined all those seasons ago I asked a Salop supporting friend

“why did you let him go?”

”too slow mate”

Ha, that aged well!

Unlike the fine vintage JJ that I have been savouring for a decade. Thanks JJ for all the memories 🍷