Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Wigan

12346»

Comments

• Let’s hope so because what has produced at times is very poor. Hopefully we can produce decent football for the whole game not just a half!!

• Whether you like it or not, the manager and team have found a way to get the results that move us away from the inevitable relegation many were predicting on here.

In my opinion, that’s good, and I’m not going to start complaining that we’ve avoided the drop in an unexciting manner.

Next season will be a different matter.

• Apologies to the poster who does not want a play-off push.

• Last night felt a bit Peter Taylor second half - defending deep with little attacking outlet. I don't object to that necessarily, as long as the 'grind out a result' performances are interspersed with some more exciting games (e.g like the Peterborough win). So on that basis I'm pretty happy.

It struck me last night just how quickly Wigan moved the ball side to side and how much running we had to do as a result. First half we matched that well, before dropping off. But in previous seasons I think we'd have looked very leggy against that type of football. This seems to be a younger, more agile squad that can cope slightly better with the athletic demands of certain games.

Looking at results and performances overall since Christmas I continue to feel we're doing pretty well and are moving in the right direction. The poor spells in games are becoming shorter and fewer, the good spells are becoming longer and more frequent, and we're starting to get results to go with it as well.

I'd be surprised if we fail to manage a top half finish now.

• Winning, or not losing, against the odd has been our stock in trade over the past decade. We lost that this season so last night's result was encouraging. We know we have quality and ability in the squad but we have lacked the never say die attitude which has surprised me as the manager has been the absolute definition of that ethos.

Same old story. Didn't get the second goal and then in the second half were we worse or were they better - a mixture of both. Not quite an MK away second half but by god I was glad it was over. Wigan are a better team than their league position of course so a better win than it appears on paper.

I was interested that during the injury delay with Potts and their player Grimmer went over to Bloomfield and they were having an animated discussion, a respectful one I may add. At that point we were playing the disastrous 5 at the back. Shortly after we changed and it did improve a little.

• Looking b ack at the highlights reel, Rav kept a clean sheet, so couldn't have done any more but really any competent keeper would be expected to pull off all of those saves. Not getting relegated, not getting promoted, first mid table season in quite a long while - thank goodness for Wembley to keep the interest up.

• I think are fitness is worse than previous seasons and the team, to me, do not look anywhere near fit enough, which possibly explains our second half performances.

Vokes appears to be really unfit at the minute. Although, when used correctly he can be a real asset to see games out.

I cannot work out if Kone has a languid style or is not fit enough. Sadlier seems to fade a lot in second halfs, although his first 60 are normally very good.

Last night Scowen was even struggling, which is highly unusual but then he was pressing a lot more than normal in this new 4-1-4-1 system.

• Odd night last night - another one of my rare visits as I tracked back from work in Guildford to home the far side of Oxford (and yes, I did choose a job with a stupid commute at an age when I should have known better). I'm not going to say the atmosphere was flat last night - there was just no atmosphere, dampened by the weather, the mid-table nothingness, and the 5,000 people who came dressed as blue seats. Three and a bit weeks from Wembley yet I was sat in splendid isolation up in the Frank Adams - even the regulars I normally see had opted for a pass on this one.

It's all been said about the football: for 51 minutes Wycombe were cruising, but should have been further ahead. Vokes was brought on too early and given no support, and gave one of those performances reminiscent of John Sutton on a bad day - amiable rambling, with the occasional impersonation of a statue. Lubala's movement and harrying had given Wigan's defenders something to think about. With Vokes on the park they could read a few books and check out new knitting patterns

The switch to five at the back seemed like a slow realisation from Bloomfield that Wigan had not made the one substitution as announced over the PA, but three, and one was a tricky right winger. Frankly though, McCarthy at left back is never the answer to any question that might be asked. He was lucky to be switched to the right as Grimmer was removed one long-delayed throw-in away from a red card.

After that, there seemed an inevitability that Wigan must score. Yet somehow they didn't. Brave defending, good keeping - but tactically inept. I'm still not convinced by Bloomfield, but it was nice to flick on to BBC Oxford last night as I drove through the Stokenchurch Cutting and hear the laments of the yellow and blue brigade on just how awful their manager is, following their 5-0 drubbing at Bolton. It's rather nice to be in my blue quartered corner of Oxfordshire today.

• I wish we wouldn’t adopt the ‘low block,’ so early in games, and I wish we could find a way to play to Vokes’ strengths when his on the field. But, we’re seeing a young manager learning how to win games, and a team developing character. Given our run in a top half finish isn’t out of the question, which is remarkable given how we all felt on Boxing Day.

• Help !

Someone posted in the past couple of days words to the effect that we could celebrate something on 30th March.

For the life of me, I can’t trace that post now but I didn’t understand it at the time and would welcome an explanation.

Thanks guys.

• I hope so Alan, as we certainly have the players to push further up this league.

• May it was related to ‘That’ll be the day’ playing the Swan that night 👍

• Maybe not May

• It was in reference to Oxford and Cambridge sinking down the league quickly and the date of the boat race was mentioned - 30th March.

• Playing in a three quarters empty stadium should give us the advantage at Wembley.

• edited March 13

Aaah, thank you. I think I preferred the Swan explanation. Those shows are always excellent. At least you’ve put me out of my misery. (Slight exaggeration!!)