Skip to content

Reading face unfunded £1m shortfall for March

2»

Comments

• edited March 14

We'll risk being absolute pariahs in the football community if this is true and it contributes to Reading going under, unless there is more to it than meets the eye?

Hoping we are letting them train there for free or something. Feel uneasy, though.

• edited March 14

I didn’t believe it until I found out that Rob plans for the access road to link Adams park and the new training ground.

• There’s many angles to this of course. The site could be sold to Bastard and Bastard Properties who could build on. It’s better to keep it in football and who knows what the deal might be in terms of Reading using it. With the cash Reading might not see out March, so in some respect we are saving them

I’ve only read some of article. It’s referred to as £50million facility? Really? At cost or at fairy bank valuation? If it’s at cost well f me.

• On one hand it's in the athletic which seems to get their facts straight

But then as per @Otter87 makes some comment about us having an academy

But if we really are buying what is a heck of a facility by all accounts, where on earth has that money come from?

On a side note if true and Reading have approached us, no idea why we'd be seen as the bad guys?

• We shouldn't be going anywhere near this. On the face of it we'd be getting a wonderful venue for a song but it's definitely not that simple and will be held against us forever as well as being an expensive item we almost certainly can't afford the upkeep on let alone the outlay. Our income hasn't massively increased since we closed our academy and we have been told very recently that we can't afford one and don't have spare funds to fix existing things that are broken. A lender / investor who might join the board at some point maybe doesn't materially change this and if our spending continues to go way beyond income we'll end up in the same boat as they are.

This Younge guy also would get just enough funds to kick the can down the road, carry on pissing Reading about or take them nearer to their end while we get involved in them having to lay off staff as their academy gets wound up and they become even less attractive to a buyer. If this was as part of their sale and they were sensibly rationalising it would be more acceptable but it doesn't seem to be.

Can't see us being particularly welcome there if it does go ahead, will have people protesting outside and staff who we'd probably want to retain unhappy.

Article seems to get it wrong about the academy and the film studio proposal, although not many thought that would ever happen.