Skip to content

Oxford to share AP ?

Comments

• They get no income from the stadium while renting off Kassam. He doesn’t even let the staff into the ground before 1pm on a matchday.

Just wants them out ASAP so he can build housing on the site.

So anything they made on matchday from sharing with us would be an improvement.

• There are a battalion of 'fragels' in Stokenchurch that have vowed to prevent any oxford infiltration into South Buckinghamshire

• LX1LX1
    edited February 6

As we speak, there are at least five people with binoculars stationed at various points across Aston Rowant bird reserve analysing any movement from the lowlanders

• Whilst honest hard working Wycombe women and men live their lives, remember there are dedicated people protecting our western border

• Doesn't the university own that massive swathe of green space in Oxford city centre? They could play there. Sorted.

• My mother died in Stokenchurch. She died defending our Western border.

Not really. She died of cancer or something.

• Luke Skywalker..'I used to live here'

Han Solo..'You're gonna die here'

• Can't they share with Oxford City ? But make sure they have a to give City a ton of money for it !

• Are you mixing up the BBC programme Apprentice..with real life?

• I don't get it.

When Wasps were tenants at Adams Park (2002-2014), many WWFC fans were bitterly opposed to the arrangement, suggesting that Wasps were somehow out to 'destroy our club', with petitions being circulated, and general mumblings of discontent on the forum, blah blah, yada yada, rhubarb rhubarb.

And yet Wasps were paying rent for the use of the stadium on matchdays, and WWFC were retaining the bulk of the revenue (85%) from food and drink sales, mostly from bigger crowds than for the football. That must have made sense commercially, or the club wouldn't have agreed to it.

Now some people are suggesting it would be a good thing for OUFC to become tenants because of the rental revenue, despite the fact that the Oxford v Wycombe game, if both still in L1, would mean us having to squeeze into the Whiff Away stand,

This is a terrible idea, we don't want the yellow perils anywhere near our ground, except as away visitors.

• Christ on a bike......

• What Sharky said he'd do with the two clubs - keep them transparently separate and not muddle the finances - and what he actually did which was have staff employed by WWFC working on Wasps related activities shouldn't need to be restated @bargepole.

• I live quite close to kidlington where they are planninf to build the new ground , it’s very close to Oxford parkway (trains) and two min drive to the a34 actually two ways to get to the A34 good bus routes in and out of Oxford . Just about perfect location for transport links but just over the road is north Oxford golf club which is going shortly for upmarket housing so possible issues there . The locals seem to be 50/50 in relation to the ground being built there, the impact on the a34 and tourist roads into Oxford could be a significant factor especially as they can be a nightmare as it is. If it was to be built direct route to wycombe on the train would be positive for fans a number of station stops on the way idea for parking. As for sharing our ground with them not in favour.

• I need a bit of a boost, can you remind me how Wasps are doing these days?

• Yes, but Hayes only became the owner of both clubs in 2009, so the ground share arrangement was in place for 7 years before that. Not exactly a convincing argument from you.

• I think it’s well known that WWFC actually lost money by having London Wasps as tenants. We even had to move our own games to accommodate Wycombe Wasps.

They ruined the pitch too. Many floating football/rugby fans chose to watch Wycombe Wasps instead of Wycombe Wanderers, you being one of many who would have popped down to your local football club if Wycombe Wasps had remained London Wasps.

Thankfully the Booker dome never got built otherwise we would have ended up just like Coventry Wasps.

Someone tells me we might soon see a Sevenoaks Wasps

• edited February 6

Wasps should play at Barnet's ground, The Hive, for some wasp/bee cross pollination.

• 1)Wasps were supposed to be paying a decent wad, but in years to come it emerged it wasn't actually clear we'd made much, if any profit from Wasps, such was the intertwining of the 2 clubs by Hayes.

Some suggested we'd actually pushed the envelope on how we were being run expenditure wise, to give more leverage to moving to Booker to being Wasps fall guys.

2)Oxford would strictly be tenants, not trying to essentially make us the tenants in a white elephant stadium putting our whole future at risk.

3)Before Wasps we'd win awards for our pitch. Funnily enough having 15 stone goons wrestling on the pitch, even the mythical "desso" pitch that could supposedly withstand such punishment, quickly put paid to those days.

I've no skin in the should we entertain the Oxford as tenants idea, but 1 game being in the away end hardly makes it an insane idea does it? The game wouldn't even exist at Adams Park otherwise.

• Just saw your post after i'd made some more long winded versions along the same lines.

You're spot on.

I'm certain there's gasroomers, who still think Booker was a good idea. They won't dare admit it though.

• Oxford wouldn’t come here, we aren’t ‘local’ remember.

• However, Oxford City’s ground has a capacity of just over 3,000, so I suspect it is too small for Oxford Utd.

• Oxford are going to have to go somewhere, (or stay where they are). Am I right in thinking that the Whiffaway holds more than our usual allocation at Oxford? Presumably the Trust will have a say - or have already had a say?

Personally I can see some disadvantages in sharing. For example I would be quite unhappy if they were playing at Adams Park on Boxing Day and we weren't. However if it resulted in significant income at their expense I would be in favour. Perhaps they would pay for our chairlift.

• They would have to buy their own fireworks.

• edited February 6

A significant difference to Wasps is that there would be a (presumably) clear start and end date, if they had a date for their new stadium completion. So we take the money for one or two seasons and then move on, rather than being stuck in an uncertain partnership.

• Steve Hayes involvement with Wycombe started in 2004. But you're right he couldn't really start f**king up the finances until he got full control of both clubs.

That doesn't mean that he didn't do it.

• They definitely can’t stay Kassam won’t give them a new lease because he wants to bulldoze the ground and develop it.

I reckon they will need to rent for 2+ seasons, that’s if they get Kidlington approved.

It will be us or Northampton with MK a distant third in the running.

• I honestly can't believe this is even a discussion