Skip to content

Message to Rob & Pete

Comments

• We have to also remember this is all coming off the back of one win in 16 and has already included one other senior member of the squad (Grimmer) making similar noises about accountability and players standing up etc etc and nothings changed.

I can understand after nearly half a season with only one win, some fans maybe, just maybe, getting a little upset.

• What has happened to our club?

in under year, we’ve gone from a set of players who were a band of brothers ,who would run through brick walls for the manager and each other to a shambles of a team who have a go at fans , who pay hard earned money to watch them ,when they dare to criticise them when they underperform week after week

A year ago we were a run of 5 succesive league wins looking forward to another play off campaign. now we are sliding towards league 2 and alienating the very people who pay their wages

neat trick in eleven months

• I vaguely remember us doing that down at Bournemouth one season. We were getting walloped at the time.

• I thought there was something a little off about his post match interview but now the plot thins.

It was more 'doing damage limitation with sadface' than being straight with the supporters.

We really are fucked.

• Next Saturday we possibly have the pleasure of watching Curtis ‘running through brick walls for the shirt’ Thompson. He came on for the last 15 minutes at Derby today. If he does the same next week perhaps that is the time for the ‘87 to go crazy? Oh to have his passion on the pitch right now.

• I miss Curtis. As does the team.

• I think the Orient away game was a turning point in the apparent divide between fans and players. They looked genuinely shocked at the venom that was directed at them and GMac alluded to that in his interview. It saddens me that one poor season after so many enjoyable campaigns has led to such vitriol being directed at players and manager.

• And it saddens me that our team wanted it less than Fleetwood.

• It saddens me to hear that one of our most senior players is directing vitriol at fans.

• So we should all just grin and bear it regardless of the lack of effort and the negative style of play?

• Oh no. The thought of Curtis Thompson up against that midfield (less Josh), is really bone chilling. 🤦🤦

• Works both ways give the fans something to cheer about and they will cheer. At the start of every game, there is a lot of encouragement and indeed during the game when given something to respond to. Today was no exception.

the fans feel increasingly ignored in a lot of aspects of the club off the pitch and on.

that frustration has to vent itself in some form. I think the disquiet has been expressed in a mild way considering

• I don’t want a medal for it or anything @glasshalffull but I’ve spent six hours in a car and about £70 on that game today, so I’m not going to be lectured by players who looked like they couldn’t give a toss in the first half against abysmal opposition.

If players put in the sort of ‘effort’ they did in the first half, they’re deluded if they think they’ll be getting a pat on the back for what they’ve done. I’ve not seen a Wycombe team look less interested since Alan Smith’s last game away at Peterborough.

Thankfully they had the decency to have a bit of a go in the second half.

I love GMac, but if he’s telling people to fuck off for the crime of shouting get stuck in, that’s piss poor.

• edited January 27

@glasshalffull as you have the ear of Rob and Pete I trust you don’t sugar the pill in those chats (as you are want to do on this forum). Someone has to have the difficult conversation for the good of the club.

• edited January 27

Garath has every right to call for unity between fans and players in a post match interview. And if he swears at someone having a go at him while he's on the pitch, I've got no problem with that - it shows he still cares.

What he needs to understand (and because he was probably a football fan before he was a football professional, he almost certainly does) is that the fans have every right to boo consistently poor performances, especially if that booing is directed at a conspicuously underperforming manager working under a chairman who's promised him a job in seeming perpetuity. Booing is the only way the fans can get the view through to Rob Couhig that maybe, just maybe, they disagree with his assessment.

• I think booing is just the beginning tbh

• I generally support your views Alan and I wasn’t at the Orient game to witness the scenes following the game. However from what I have heard from those that were in attendance, they we really unhappy with the fact that they turned up and paid at the turnstiles with their hard earned money to watch their team play and the team didn’t!

There have been other seasons where the team have lost the crowd, namely under Smith and also Adams to name a few but those feelings are aired because the fans feel every minute of every game.

You are close to the players and the club management and rightly so as you have done a great deal for the club but please don’t misunderstand true passion for hatred.

The fans just want to see their players trying even if they lose but in the first half today it was seriously hard to believe they were giving everything for the club.

• edited January 27

I was at the orient game they were over 1000 I believe from Wycombe that night for 89 minutes plus they gave the team loud and positive support. indeed, the atmosphere was as good as as i had experienced in a long time at a game

at the end, I would say a few dozen jeered the team at the end largely over displeasure at a negative substitution just before the final whistle

again perspective, about the loyalty of fans, which is largely excellent despite poor results yes a few had to go at the end but again after 89 minutes of cheering and because they felt let down.

• I remember the away fans doing it at Brentford circa 11-12 season.

• From my point of view the booing is, on the whole, aimed at the manager’s decisions rather than the players. Morecambe excepted when the players just didn’t appear to give a fuck.

At Orient the booing really started when Forino was brought on when it had been glaringly obvious that a change was needed up top. Us fans had been getting more and more frustrated with Taylor having to play up front on his own with long high balls continually being aimed at him. Vokes should have been brought on, in fact the crowd started singing his name on numerous occasions to try to instigate a change.

More recently it’s been the continued go to 5 at the back to try and see out the game resulting in the late goals against.

Today I can understand the squad appearing deflated by the decision to drop Sadlier. I do also wonder whether Leahy is maybe becoming a problem to morale. He seems to be making some bad decisions on the pitch as well as dishing out some big theatrical bollickings. JJ is a better left back in my opinion and has better set piece delivery.

I could go on but I’m starting to bore my self now.

• GMac gave an honest and truthful interview, he wasn’t preaching he was pleading. He admitted the failings and included himself in his criticism of that dreadful first half performance. He accepted that fans are entitled to be angry and frustrated and made no excuses.

• No. Keep going!

• It saddens me that you have to defend every single negative towards the club..... you know what, sod it, you're right ! Give Matt another extension !!! He and those players deserve it

• However, he still felt it was right to swear at those fans who were aching for him and the other lads on the pitch to put in a honest shift of 90 + minutes.

• Personally I feel the silence from the board is deafening.

• I didn’t mention the manager, I referred only to the GMac interview.

• They have no experience of this situation. They need guidance. @glasshalffull get over to the hotel for a coffee in the morning. This is no time for arrogance or naivety

• Wouldn't be the first time I've seen McCleary getting into arguments with fans during our games either.

• My final message to Rob and Pete before I retire to bed. Please do not ignore what is happening to our club, we are in real trouble and in free fall. You both need to be brave and make the hard decisions.

It won’t be nice and won’t be easy but if it is right for the club, then it is the right decision.