Skip to content

Our "best ever squad"

Just to bring some realism to this line (which others have done with some comments on other threads).

I think we do have a quality L1 backline. Leahy, Low, Taff and Grimmer with Stryjek behind them and McCarthy/Forino/Pattenden/KVY/JJ as alternates is both more than adequate quality with pretty decent depth.

Defensive midfield is also decent, with Scowen and Potts.

It is in the attacking half the pitch where our issues are. Some of the individuals are decent enough, but either very young, very old, or not really making the grade.

Wheeler - jack of all trades, master of none. Great servant, but getting old.

Sadlier - has been decent enough, without really tearing up the division.

Vokes - still wily and good at occupying defenders/bringing others into play, but getting old and less able to go 90. Also needs five chances to stick one in the net.

McCleary - still decent too, but looks to have lost just a bit of spark from a couple of years back.

Kone - promising, but young.

Kodua - young, untested, and a loanee.

Phillips - another loanee, not sure what his best position is.

Taylor - another loanee, flatters to deceive.

Campbell - another loanee, not bad but not a world beater.

I may be missing something, but for anyone saying this is our best squad ever, compared to the last season or two:

Is 2024 Vokes on a par with 2021-22 Vokes?

Is 2024 McCleary on a par with 2021-22 McCleary?

Is 2024 Wheeler on a par with 2021-22 Wheeler?

Is Sadlier much better than Horgan? They remind me a fair bit of each other, actually.

Of the remaining players, would you take Kone, Kodua, Phillips and Taylor over Mehmeti, Wing, Freeman and BAYO?

I understand the upset, but this is nowhere near our best squad.

Comments

• Bayo+10 was our best squad. He was something else.

• Of those 9 front players, none look really likely to score. Even Kone proved he was only human today.

It's our inability to score which means we are constantly suspect to losing to a late goal.

To answer your question. No this is nowhere near our best squad ever.

• Personally I think the 2017-18 squad was our finest, though injury and Gareth's idiosyncratic team selections meant it was rare they all played together

Scott Brown

Jombati, Stewart, el-Abd, Jacobson

O'Nien, Gape

Eze, Saunders, Tyson

Bayo (at his peak)

The only players I'd sub in who've played for us subsequent to that season are Stockdale, Mawson, Tafazolli and Scowen.

• I would also put a fit peak Curtis Thompson a long way ahead of Potts

• edited January 23

The squad we had at the end of 21/22 was the best imo

• Yep, way off our best squad.

No Mehemti, Bayo, Mawson, Stockdale. And Vokes, Grimmer, McCarthy, McCleary and Wheeler have been better in previous seasons.

• Simon Garner.

• I'm going 1994, would have put these to the sword.