Skip to content

Derby County

Derby County post huge 6.8M loss for the first 9 months after exiting administration.

A loss that is bigger than around half of League One clubs turnover.

Shocking!

Comments

• Football is unsustainable

• Once again cheating. They’ll be back crying at their owners again before you know it.

• I wonder how much they owe HMRC again?

• The problem with football is that if you give a club £1M fans are going to demand you spend £2M on a striker.

• So, are they actually allowed to lose that much? Not that it matters to them.

This makes it even funnier that we stopped their long unbeaten run and derailed their playoff push.

• Awful club

• Yeah, but we're the bad guys for not doffing our caps to the cheating big boys.

Hope they stay in L1 for years to come.

• To be fair, at least £20 of that was for the Wayne Rooney statue.

• At present the detail is in Clowes Developments accounts for April 22 to March 23. This is the company that own Derby County. The full Derby County accounts for season 22/23 will be filled no later than March 31st. Here are the accounts for anyone interested.

CLOWES DEVELOPMENTS (UK) LIMITED filing history - Find and update company information - GOV.UK (company-information.service.gov.uk)

I suspect the whole season will show losses of around 9-10M, less the proceeds from the sale of Bielik in late June 23. Just to give you an understanding of how huge that loss is, Plymouth in the same season posted turnover of £15M and a loss of £3.4M, £2.3M of this loss was due to bonus payments to players and the clubs of loan players as they were promoted. Had they not gone up like Derby they would have made a £1.1M loss.

They can lose this much in League One, as long as they keep within SCMP rules and Clowes is happy to pump money in. SCMP states you can only spend 60% of turnover on wages. I suspect Derby were very close to that figure in 22/23.