Skip to content

Promising future for English coaches?

I was thinking lately about how many promising young(ish) English coaches there are. It feels as though we are only a few years removed from the PL level coaches being a rather uninspiring collections of Hodgsons, Allardyces and Pardews, with Championship and lower league managers all being a bit hit and hope in their ethos. We now have Eddie Howe and Graham Potter as either current or recently respectable PL managers, other somewhat older, decent managers like Mark Robins, and quite a list of fairly young, promising coaches, to my mind:

Premier League:

Gary O'Neill (40)

Championship:

Liam Manning (38)

Joe Edwards (37)

Michael Carrick (42)

Liam Rosenior (39)

Steven Schumacher (39)

Luke Williams (42)

League One:

John Mousinho (37)

1st Matt Taylor (41)

2nd Matt Taylor (42)

Matt Bloomfield (hopefully) (39)

League Two:

Pete Wild (39)

Lee Bell (40)

Mike Williamson (40)

Several of these seem to have a very good grasp of the nuances of tactics, and I would expect a few of them to see the Premier League at some point, and it feels as though the overall quality of English managers is improving. That's not to mention the likes of Russell Martin (half English and English born).

I am not massively keen on international football any more, but I could see us going from quite a bare cupboard in the past (when we turned to the likes of Sven and Fabio and even today don't have an obvious replacement for Southgate) to having a glut of options in the next ten years or so.

Comments