Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• Sadly the wet legs were real. Sooner that than the giant insects on the wall were also real. Maybe I'll take the drugs again next Saturday just to see Taylor score a hattrick while I shit myself.

• I did actually see if I could figure this out earlier, but it's too faffy 😅

• It’s very simple. We had an exceptional talent in Potts who could receive the ball from the back 3, turn and make things happen. He took a few games to get into that role and others took time to know what he was going to do (some never did). So we lose an exceptional talent to injury and continue to try and play the same way. We try all kinds of partnerships in the middle and none work. They work as a pair, but none work the same as with Potts. But we carry on trying. And that’s it. We have not adapted. We have not then used the strengths we undoubtedly have. We continue to try and fit square pegs in round holes and we suck at it.

• We were playing some of the weaker sides.

Leahy and Low were combining very effectively on set pieces.

We weren't going behind in games so the cagey style didn't look so bad. At 0-0 we looked Ok inviting other teams to cross to 3 towering CBs, and then as the games wore on we started making a few chances.

The poor run has been a combination of injuries, loss of confidence and playing stronger sides.

Trouble is, we have refused to adapt to injuries and seem to have no alternative to the slow, 5 at the back plan we've become familiar with. So it has become far worse than a 3-4 game blip.

In reality, the brief spell of good form was the anomaly of the last 9-10 months, not the other way around.

• That last sentence really is the point isn't it? The good run in September is all that we have since Blooms took the job.

• If you only have one playing style, you become predictable and the opposition will be able to stop you playing. Towards the end of his time, GA was able to make some adjustments game by game to keep people guessing as to how we would set up. We even had a passing game in our locker. It took him 10 years to get there though. It was a massive learning curve for him. He got those years by getting enough results along the way to keep people happy, although not everyone was convinced (myself included).

At our level it’s about being effective in both boxes and GA knew this. Matt has a very short window to learn the rules, or he’s a gonner. I’d love to have MB here in 10 years, because that would mean we’d been successful. However you measure success. Not looking that way at the minute sadly.

• I'd also argue that Gareth Ainsworth survived 10 years by a bit of blind luck too, courtesy of the Memorial Stadium crossbar...

• After the 4-1 away win at Fleetwood i was like wow, was brilliant watching us knock the ball about and look a threat. Fast forward 2 months and it's the complete opposite.

I know recent performances have been poor but I remember coming out of Morecambe away last season after losing 1-0 thinking that was the most un wycombe like performance I've seen in years, yet they seem to become the norm of late.

Everyone wants him to get it right and hopefully something changes soon but I'm expecting the worst on Saturday.

• For what it’s worth, I believe some Pompey fans were similarly generous.

• Currently we’re not but I’m willing to bet that in the very near future we will be.

• edited December 2023

You speak as though Freddie Potts is no longer with us. He is injured but we’ve no reason to believe he has returned permanently to West Ham, have we ?

• Freddie Potts could of course be recalled by West Ham United in January.

• edited December 2023

Unfortunately, you are probably correct. I honestly don’t know but your ‘of course’ suggests that I ought to!

• Most (probably all) season-long loan deals will have a January recall clause

• Thanks @ReturnToSenda.

I’m still waiting for your response to my lengthy, friendly direct message of 9 November but not holding my breath!!

• West Ham is turning into a graveyard for youth development now as Moyes does not fancy the crop of kids coming through. This has seen talent join other Premier League clubs as they know they are not going to get a chance under Moyes. So I very much doubt if Potts will go back to West Ham in as they need him in the first team set up. More likely (if he is fit and we have no idea what his injury is of course) is that a club with deeper pockets than us or higher up the pyramid will make an offer for him and he will go back to go out again. We've knocked some edges off him, someone else will benefit. The loan system works that way.

• edited December 2023

Just as a footnote on Bloomfield, given Rob has now gone home without sacking him and will not be back until January, I’d expect Bloomfield will be given at least the next five games to turn things around.

• Does anyone know what Potts' injury is / how long he'll be out for? I thought one of the ways Matt had signalled he was breaking from the past was more openness about our squad fitness but maybe that didn't last long.

I will make one prediction about the next few weeks - I think we've now seen the end of five at the back. Matt knows he's lost the fans, quite possibly lost the players and certainly lost too many points. One signal he can make very effectively that he gets that things need to change is by ditching the formation that has left us too easy to set up against and ineffective on the pitch. He's a smart guy and will know he needs to change it up, even if he's getting assurances from the boardroom that his job is not under threat. I think we'll see that next time his team takes to the pitch.

I remain resolutely a non-bedwetter. We won't get promoted but we are not one of the three worst teams in the league. Matt has the ability to turn things round - and will learn valuable lessons in the process. People arguing about changing before the transfer window miss two factors: 1) Matt's strength lies in player recruitment - it's not like we need an overhaul of the squad. 2) There's no money left.

The only thing that changes this is if the club gets sold to a moneybags. Then I think Matt gets chopped on day one. But hey, that's football. To be honest, I think the only reason Rob Couhig gave him an extra-long new contract is because he is about to sell up and wants to give Matt the financial security from a nice wad of compensation when the new owner brings in his own man.

• Do you think Georgi Kinkladze has ever experienced the wonder of the Chilterns?

• edited December 2023

I heard we're signing Khvicha Kvaratskhelia

• I bet we start the next game with a back three and wingbacks

• Excellent post @aloysius.

• Don't always agree with @aloysius but agree on the whole with the post...I don't however hold with he trope that he has lost the players, I've seen no sign of that. I remember when Anis and Taffs looked 'miserable to be here' under Ainsworth apparently.

Still think Blooms will come good and have my fingers crossed to prove it...

• edited December 2023

On the match, I have to say, I thought Shrewsbury played really well and I felt they did not just sit back on the 1-0 second half as some teams might have (😉)...unless I was watching the wrong game again.

• But we only need to be one of the worst 4 teams 👀

• I really hope you're right. If Matt can turn things around it would be wonderful to see him succeed. The squad he's assembled appears to contain some very capable players.

But it now requires a sharp reversal in tactics and morale to start delivering results and entertainment

Very little evidence to suggest it will happen in my view.

• I still think there are experienced professional footballers out there who should be able to find a way to change things on the pitch even if the manager is 'tactically naive'.

• Let's all go to Derby and inspire a Christmas victory against former champions and founders of the League!