Skip to content

January Changes

2»

Comments

• As Taf and Forino don't seem able to stay fit for more than one game at a time, I think we need to jettison Keogh and get in a commanding central defender that can actually run about and is not injury prone.

• I wouldn't disagree with Taf. His injury record is not good enough for a club as small as ours that need the top quality players to be on the pitch week in week out.

Forino, I understand, suffers with blisters on his feet and can get a significant number after matches. If this is true, it might explain his last minute abscences.

• Jettisoning Keogh doesn't help you get in a commanding central defender if you have to pay him off in full. More likely someone will come in for Taff as he has a lot more potential if he could ever stay fit.

• I’d take issue with Lyle Taylor - he has been pretty poor the whole time. Spends more time on his backside flailing his arms and crying like a banshee. His heading had been poor as well, not at it, a bit like Hanlan. He has really disappointed me.

ps…I don’t get the criticism of Keogh. Yes he’s slow, but he reads the game well, organises the defence well and is an excellent header of the ball. He just looks ancient and I think that goes against him. Jacobson and Vokes by the way are just as slow.

• Forino and Taf traditionally timeshare on a season so we need to keep another centre half, Keogh fits that bill.

Breckin sadly has done nothing for me. Technically I’m sure he’s good but with a sparse midfield that we employ he’s not the man for that role. Feel for him, not his fault.

Lyle Taylor can do one. Cut the theatrics until you have at least delivered something, anything, a challenge, an attempt to win a ball. How he got past the character test is a mystery. I’m not Hanlan’s biggest fan but at least he tries and gives his all.

Apart from that and maybe shifting TJ out on loan we can’t make another wholesale change to the squad IMHO. 14 ins is one of the reasons we don’t know our best set up.

I was quite excited about the Ronan Curtis rumour.

• Any playing personnel changes are irrelevant if we don't make the most important change

• This January, I'm just glad I am not a football manager or owner.

• I'm sure Enzo Maresca is delighted to be a manager at the moment!

• If the current purse string holders behaviour to date is anything to go by there will be bluster, followed by filibuster followed by dead air. Prepare yourselves for a transfer window with a firework curtain raiser accompanied by smoke, mirrors and then ……… silence.

I wait to be proved wrong.

• It appears that the key dynamics of the club are very different three or four months on, ‘the past is another country’.

• In our regular experience of playing, and more than competing with, Pompey in the Curtis era, the impression I got of him was pretty poor: occasional flashes of skill, but greater evidence of petulance and irritation with teammates who didn't play the right ball to him on demand. Not sure he'd pass the character test for the previous regime, but I'm not really clear whether that applies any more.

• Gawd, him and Lyle Taylor up front rolling about, waving their arms, shouting at officials and team-mates and shaking their heads after another failed run forward would certainly be a complete culture change at AP!🙂

• Surely something for Doctor Bob to be sorting out in terms of some sort of cushioning gel insole, or boots that fir properly...

• I am not convinced Lyle Taylor has done enough to warrant a contract extension beyond the short term deal he is on.

Sadly for Dale Taylor without Hanlan we dont play a system that suits his strengths & we should return him to Forest to allow him to be loaned out to a team that is a better fit.

As for Breckin he looks technically sound when he has played but he looks far too lightweight still for senior men's football, another who should be released back to his parent club.

Keogh does indeed read the game well & is a solid header of the ball, but... he slows everything down to his pace allowing the opposition to get back & organised, his insistence on being a deep lying play maker kills us. I don't think it would be financially possible to move him on but he needs to be encouraged to accept more of a player coach role with the emphasis on the latter. Yes JJ is almost as slow, but at least has a second gear as does vokes.

As others have suggested it would probably be really good for TJ to go out on loan.

I suspect our ability to bring in anyone on a fee is predicated off the back of Wimbledon selling AAH so we get a decent sell on fee.

• Hasn’t Taf actually been fit for most of the season so far?

I think his recent absence may have been due to him not being selected in the 18 rather than injury.

He’s certainly a player who hasn’t benefited from Matt taking charge as he’s had to play second fiddle to Richard Keogh, who has taken the central position in the back three pushing him over to the left where he’s less comfortable.

The move to a back four will suit him, as was shown against Exeter. But only if picked by the manager, obviously.

• edited December 2023

Hopefully, a forward will be the priority over Jan.

• Nobody actually knows that, I'd imagine Rob probably hasn't decided how much money he's prepared to commit to us not going down if that becomes more likely. Next couple of games aren't only for Blooms to convince Rob he's worthy of staying but also investing in (wether that's Couhig money, borrowing, outside investment or using funds that can be saved or brought in some other way)

• LP Hartley ‘The Go Between’ opening line, but then I’m sure you knew that.

• Have a good what’s left of 2023 and a happy new year.

• Interesting, now looking back on this. As some of the suggestions in this thread are now happening in January. We moved from me panicking to Bloomfield is now panicking in January 😋😉

He agrees with you that we don't have center backs who can play the wide role in a back three. So instead is using them for what they are better at doing.

Tafa has been brilliant since his return.