Skip to content

Wigan 18th November

Comments

• Which is precisely what I said. I didn’t automatically assume anything and I certainly didn’t go on the attack.

• I always assume we are all like cornered animals on here...just waiting for the moment to strike.

• As someone said earlier (too lazy to scroll back) L1 & L2 clubs should also be part of the international break enjoyed by PL & Championship sides.

The PL, EFL, NL & FA could then work together to promote these breaks as non-league weekends & encourage fans to visit their local non-league side; because we are all part of the "football family" (tm: DCFC).

• Would that Div 3 and 4 teams were all so minted that they could afford to just surrender their Saturday crowds to non-league fixtures and bear the long-term impact on their fanbases and finances. The much better solution is that there are no concessions to international fixtures for fixtures at this level and the games get played at the weekends when more people can get to them and where the Div 3 & 4 teams could be the ones to take advantage of the lack of Div 1 & 2 fixtures.

• @Hopping_Wanderer wrote:

I agree. You have a fixture scheduled. Play it or be charged with failure to fulfil. Should be preparing a squad to take these things into account.

@glasshalffull replied...

Sorry, but you are way off the mark with this post. For a start the request to postpone came from both clubs and it’s a EFL rule that games should be postponed in these circumstances so there’s no way clubs could be charged with failing to fulfill a fixture. We have a number of long term injuries at the moment and if we lose several more players to international call ups we would be forced to field a severely weakened team. There’s a limit to how many players you can have in your squad so how could we have prepared for this situation?

At no point was @Hopping_Wanderer suggesting that it was the club's fault. He was suggesting a change in the rules that might improve the situation.

Which is precisely what I said. I didn’t automatically assume anything and I certainly didn’t go on the attack.

What the hell did I just read above then?

• As you are aware, this is a forum for discussing views and people will inevitably disagree from time to time. As long as that disagreement is factual and polite I can’t see a problem. I even began my post with the word sorry, so it was hardly an attack. As someone who sarcastically berated me for trying to be helpful regarding the Arriva bus situation, I’m not sure you are entitled to claim the moral high ground over other posters.

• This isn't far off, the balance used to be about right, those with more resources and better able to cope were also those more likely to be affected as their players were more likely to attract the honours. Not sure we really fit that but it does strike me that we move these games and then have players missing anyway through injury.

Not sure 6 weeks without a Saturday game is good for anyone either , people don't need excuses to find other things to do this time of year.

• This clearly needs sorting out. Going six weeks without a Saturday home game with the resultant loss of income when the games are arranged mid week is the last thing anyone needs from a revenue perspective

if you accept the fact that games do need to be postponed to avoid clubs playing at a disadvantage with having several players missing then a look at the structure of the season is in order

it seems nowadays, that almost the entire 3rd tier is wiped out by these breaks. Perhaps it will be an idea not to schedule any league games for these Saturdays at all so that we all know where we are. It doesn’t seem to affect the fourth tier so they would have fixtures as usual, as of course mentioned, this may hopefully benefit nonleague clubs as fans are in search of a game

to compensate for this and to cut down on mid week fixtures in winter. I would suggest that the season starts a week earlier i.e. the last weekend in July with a league game scheduled on the Saturday and Tuesday.

another suggestion would be to play the Bristol StreeT motors games on the blank Saturdays in September, October and November, giving clubs at least a game and a fixture where the absence of your international players isn’t an issue. Of course to do this, you would then cancel all fourth tier games games as well.

just a few suggestions to keep the discussion going

• I'm claiming no moral high ground, I'm simply pointing out that you got pretty angry at a bunch of assumptions you'd made. Your default mode is, as everyone knows, to defend the club at any given opportunity, seemingly even when nobody is saying anything against the club.

• It's inevitable getting to the situation when L1 schedule will have to take account of the international break.

This will mean those games being scheduled for midweek, rather than Saturday's at some other point in the season.

I assume that playing more midweek games early in the season has been considered and rejected as players are still building up fitness despite pre-season, otherwise that would be a no brainer for me.

Seems like, unless L1 agrees to a reduction in size, we are going to be stuck with more midweeks during the autumn/winter months.

Maybe clubs can be creative with issuing 2 tier season tickets, either including or ex luding midweek games? It will reduce revenues but the clubs should be compensated by FIFA who have created the need for these international breaks.

• I work Tuesday nights so my ‘subscription’ is turning out to be pretty poor value this season.

• What's the most dangerous cornered animal? A cobra or a tiger?

• I don’t think they will ever be agreement to reduce the size of the leagues. I take your point about mid week games early in the season although taking into account carabao cup matches there are not many gaps mid week in the existing schedule. My idea, although not perfect, would mean that by moving the Bristol Street motors cup matches to international Saturdays that would remove The need for some mid week games it’s just in my opinion a more logical way of handling the fixture schedule as regrettably. These international brakes are now part of Football life

• I was not making any assumptions, I was stating facts i.e. that the EFL has a rule that games can be postponed if a club has the requisite number of players on international duties. Wycombe’s postponements this season have been at the request of both our club and our opponents and it is wrong to say, as the original poster did, that clubs should ‘be preparing a squad to take these things into account’ as squad sizes are restricted. I really don’t see why you think that is an angry response in defence of the club, but that’s your prerogative.

• Energetic Mingeshevir are struggling in the Azerbaijan League. Overlooked.

• Keep up chief. @Hopping_Wanderer was talking about a better system that theoretically could be applied, not this exact postponement. The assumption you made was that he was attacking the club for this game being postponed. He wasn't.

• Popcorn out

• As you are the king of absolute new levels of pedantry let's clarify a few things.

Are you judging him as injury prone now he's hit 34, or in general?

87 games the last 2 years is what the kids would say is pretty "dece" (short for decent).

15 games by early November not too bad either.

• edited November 2023

The hounding of glasshalffull is definitely one of the more tedious gasroom themes.

I remember someone once referred to him as being "nauseatingly positive". What a thing to be accused of!

• Personally I can’t believe @glasshalffull has so far let @bargepole get away scot free with his dissing of Sky dictating when many of next year’s fixtures get played.

It’s for the good of the game!

• Sorry I'm not sure what happened there.

• Some sort of Freemasonry probable

• I think the problem is really that the rule about who can be included has become stretched too far.

if it was tightened to include, for example, only players who have played a minimum of 50% (or some such figure) of the last 10 first team games the threshold would be a lot more realistic and defensible.

The issue for me is that the current guidance seems to allow the inclusion of players who would never have played anyway and therefore allows the clubs to choice of not to play if they have a few injuries or are out of form or who are due to play an in-form team

• I would not miss international football at all if they just binned it off, but seeing as I am aware that it is rather an extreme viewpoint, how about this?

With all tournaments increasing in size anyway, make international football summer only, and the tournaments simply have more rounds. A 208 club World Cup and a 50 odd nation Euros, etc.

• A couple of things if I may.

@glasshalffull is over positive of about 99% of things at the club and many of us disagree from time to time with him.

He loves the club and has also served it, and with the name ‘glass half full’ I would expect him to be one of the more positive ones about the club on the forum.

He is also 75 (according to Wikipedia), so maybe some of the comments directed towards him could be toned down a little.

Let’s keep this place a little classier than other forums.