Skip to content

Man of the Match - Peterborough (A)

Instant classic - pity we could not find that last goal!

MOTM
  1. MOTM?48 votes
    1. Stryjek
        0.00%
    2. Boyes
        0.00%
    3. Pattenden
      10.42%
    4. Low
        4.17%
    5. Leahy
      14.58%
    6. Forino
        2.08%
    7. Potts
        6.25%
    8. Scowen
        6.25%
    9. Phillips
      45.83%
    10. Hanlan
        8.33%
    11. Taylor
        0.00%
    12. Wheeler (sub)
        0.00%
    13. McCleary (sub)
        0.00%
    14. Vokes (sub)
        2.08%

Comments

• Tricky one this, a lot of good performances but no complete standout, hmmm

• I’ve gone with Phillips. So good out of possession. Constantly putting them on the back foot with his excellent press. Looks a lot fitter recently and is surprisingly good in tight areas for a lad of his height. Very impressed.

• @Shev you've left out Sadlier! he was by far the standout sub today.

• Indeed very tricky,

Max fluffed it for their first goal & will be furious with himself, couldnt do much for their second but had some good contributions otherwise.

Pattenden & Boyes are getting better week by week as WBs & thought both had decent games today.

Leahy, Low & Forino were excellent in the back 3, all of them making vital tackles & interceptions plus Leahy made some great contributions in the attacking third.

Scowen did his usual duracell bunny impression & had a decent game, Potts on the other hand had his least impactful game for 6 or so weeks.

Hanlan is growing in confidence by the week & was seriously good value today & more than deserved his goal

Likewise both Philips & Taylor are growing in confidence by the week & starting to show what the management team saw in them.

The subs all made a contribution to whaat was a cracking game.

I've gone with Leahy in the end.

• At times I thought we must have had more than one player called Luke Leahy on the pitch, so I went for him.

• "The subs all made a contribution to what was a cracking game"

Really. I suppose Sadlier saw out the game well though so maybe ...

• To be fair I forgot he came on as the ref blew his whistle...

• Hardest choice for a very long time today. Went for Leahy in the end, but Phillips is fast becoming my favourite player in the current squad.

• I thought Phillips was excellent. That’s two games in row now having offered up almost nothing prior. Really pleased he’s starting to show what he can do.

• Pattenden. Hopefully the new owner will tie him down to a new longer contract!!

• Phillips for me. It is amazing how differently we all look at him after a couple of starts!

I think we have our best 11 with the current available players, though I would accept GMac being in there too.

• Leahey for me. Tough call but everything he did he did well.

• Credit to Jasper too who didn't look at all inexperienced.

• Potts was not up to it and now a regular, Phillips looked like a headless chicken and now is starting to bloom, Taylor having a good go...just Breckin struggling to show from the loans. Good business from MB and who would have expected the City starlet not to make waves?

• After lengthy deliberation, Killian Phillips.

Pacy, incisive, quick feet in tight situations and can pick a pass. Most improved of the loan players following a handful of less than impressive cameo appearances.

But there were half a dozen other contenders in what was arguably the best team performance of the season.

Did someone say Darren Ferguson acknowledged that we were the better team?

• Yes, Fergie said they were lucky to get a point. Many of their fans agree.

• edited October 2023

Thanks, @Shev. That’s really good to hear. Happily, the game was played in a surprisingly good spirit considering the element of animosity following our PPM-based promotion to the Championship.

The clapping in the 73rd minute in tribute to the late Dave Finch by what sounded like the vast majority of the crowd was also very pleasing.

A much more minor indicator of good relations occurred when Jasper Pattenden passed the ball into touch when a Peterborough player was down injured and a Peterborough player gave the ball back to him from the throw-in.

Having said all that, it’s only fair to add that the mini vendetta (and any attendant animosity) has been between specific individuals and, to the best of my knowledge, not shared by respective fans or, indeed, players.

• I agree that there is no ill feeling between the clubs and I’ve always found Peterborough very welcoming. The problems arose from comments made by their chairman and were exacerbated by his cheerleaders Swann and Durham (TalkSport) who publicly criticised our club in a very unprofessional way.

• My little secret is that I don't mind Peterborough as a club. They always play good football and games against them are almost always entertaining as a result.

As per @glasshalffull above, it is more certain individuals that have been annoying.

• Thank you @Shev and @glasshalffull for confirming my feeling that the relationship between the two clubs, their supporters and the players have, in general, been very good.

Matches between the clubs have generally been entertaining with plenty of goals.

• When eight of the starting lineup get votes as Man of the Match, you just know that we’re into something good.

• I’m going to abstain this week…great team performance!