Skip to content

European Cricket Championship 2023

13»

Comments

• A very good first two days for England XI, four wins out of four, including a comfortable win against the big hitting Netherlands. None of the teams have coped with the England bowlers, 59 is the most runs conceded in a match. Two matches tomorrow, two more on Thursday with Netherlands as the final opponents. The top team goes straight into the final on Friday, the others play-off for the other final spot. England XI will aim to be far enough ahead, helped by enough bonus points for big winning margins, to allow for a mishap against the Dutch.

• England are safely through to the final tomorrow, but it didn't go quite as expected.

They surprisingly lost by six runs to Italy yesterday and, after beating Spain by 105 runs first thing this morning, England knew they had to beat Netherlands this afternoon to finish top. England restricted the Dutch to 98/8 before coasting home on 99/3 off 7.3 overs.

The last match today was the most dramatic, with Austria needing 13 runs off the last over to win against Spain. In what turned out to be an 11 ball over, Austria lost two wickets and scored 12 to tie the match. Spain then won on the Golden Ball for their first win of the tournament, to overtake Austria and eliminate them.

Tomorrow Italy play Spain at 08:45, the winners face Netherlands at 11:45, and the winners of that match meet England at 14:45 in the final.

Live stream tomorrow from here.

https://www.ecn.cricket/series/european-cricket-championship-w-2023-4512/scores-fixtures

• Looks like a great tournament

• edited December 2023

Thanks for the link @Steve_Peart. I’ve watched most of the Netherlands innings and, after swearing a couple of times about sloppy fielding, I was quite impressed with England’s performance, especially as I gather they only came together for the tournament.

Maddie Ward looked an excellent wicket keeper and Rijke impressed for the Netherlands, scoring over 60% (?) of their runs.

• edited December 2023

Congratulations to England XI who are the inaugural European Cricket T10 champions, after beating Netherlands by 17 runs in the final.

England won the toss and batted first, making 122-5, with Meg Austin top scoring with 42 from 26 balls. 24 off the final over helped post a tough score to chase, given that the Dutch had made 59 and 98 in their two matches against England.

Netherlands gradually fell behind the scoring rate, scored no runs in the ninth over, managed 21 off the last one but were well short in the end. Robine Rijke's 69 off 38 in 105-4 was in vain, but at least she won the MVP award.

Given that the English team only met the day before the tournament started, this was a very impressive performance. They are strong in batting, bowling and fielding, and we're were well led by captain Chiara Green. Next year they will come back stronger after proper preparation, when it is hoped to increase the teams participating to ten.

Coming up on February 26 at the Cartama Oval is the men's European Cricket Champions League tournament, when 35 club teams meet over four weeks. From the UK are Hornchurch, Wimbledon and Forfarshire, as well as teams from Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey.

I don't really like anything shorter than 50 overs, but I find these European matches great fun to watch. The European Cricket Network commentary is very good, knowledgeable and easy on the ear.