Skip to content

Man of the Match - Northampton (A)

Phew.

MOTM
  1. Who is your man of the match for the match against Northampton (A)?65 votes
    1. Stryjek
      32.31%
    2. Vincent-Young
        1.54%
    3. Forino
        1.54%
    4. Keogh
        0.00%
    5. Low
        6.15%
    6. Leahy
      21.54%
    7. Scowen
      13.85%
    8. Potts
        0.00%
    9. Phillips
        0.00%
    10. McCleary
        0.00%
    11. Vokes
        1.54%
    12. Hanlan (sub)
      18.46%
    13. Wheeler (sub)
        1.54%
    14. Boyes (sub)
        0.00%
    15. De Barr (sub)
        1.54%

Comments

• Hanlan is rightfully going to walk it. Second week running he’s done more in a short cameo than the starting forwards put together.

• I went Hanlan too - changed the game massively!

• We’re lucky to have him.

After all the doubts expressed on here and elsewhere, it’s time to show him the luurv.

Hopefully, his confidence and consistency will now flourish.

• I went for Stryjek - solid for the whole 98 mins - much as it grieves me to vote for our keeper.

• Same, Brandon was great when he came on but it wouldn't have counted for anything if we'd been 6-0 down before he did.

• There’s a solid core emerging there.

• Scowen, did the work of about four players in the first half

• The odds on Vokes ever scoring again are getting even longer.

• Stryjek. He didn’t need to pull off any worldly saves but he stopped everything that came his way, and there was a lot.

Scowen was a one man team at times for the first hour and deserves a mention, even if he does every week.

Hanlan superb when he came on. Pre-match he spent the whole warm up on his own and didn’t look too happy. If he felt he had a point to prove or just wanted to let off some steam he certainly did it.

No way we should have won that game but I’ll take it.

• edited September 2023

Low was dependebly solid all game as was Max.

Scowen worked his butt off all game, in the first half he was run ragged trying to cover for Potts & Phillips, the former got more into the game in the second half & showed some lovely touches. The latter seems to be a bit of a loose cannon without much in the way of end product for now.

Boyes looked good when he came on & Leahy improved when he moved to LCB.

Forino wasn't at his best but is slowly getting better, though he needs to temper his marauding instincts a little especialy if Keogh is behind him.

I maintain whilst Keogh's reading of the game is excellent he is too slow & often makes poor choices as to whether to go for a ball or leave it to someone else leading to nonsense like the Sutton goal.

KVY second half was overall the best I have seen him so far, though he is still a little suspect defensively & prone to a stupid pass here & there.

GMac was good until his injury, lets hope its just a minor tweak.

Vokes as ever worked hard with little in the way of end result, mostly due to piss poor service in the first half.

Hanlan was a breath of fresh air when he came on & showed some good touches, trickery & turn of speed.

Wheels & TJay played as you would expect them to.

The biggest problem is a team/tactic one rather than individual players, as we are too static, too slow in transition & seem to lack a plan to get a goal other thna set pieces.

• Wheels is the glue that bonds things together . We are a different team when he plays.

• Agreed, given he's been out for so long I thought his performance off the bench was excellent today. Once he's fully up to match speed he'll be an absolutely vital player for us this season. Can see him slotting into the starting XI for Phillips in future matches.

Him, alongside a fired up Hanlan and Tjay, a returning Taylor, and dare I say a slim chance of Uche coming back into the fold, is a very good set of League One attackers to support Vokes and GMac who've had a tough time so far.

Hopefully Blooms will get a friendly organised for over the international break to help Wheels and JMac get their match fitness back up and be ready to attack the next few fixtures which (whispers quietly) don't look too bad up until mid-October.

• Wheels has improved every season he’s been with us. Consummate pro.

• A few candidates (Stryjek, Scowen, Low) but I’m going for Leahy today. Covered two positions. One of which he doesn’t particularly favour. One of which I haven’t known him to play before (?). Carried the Wycombe way on his sleeve. Dragged us through the feisty moments of the game that the younger/inexperienced players weren’t familiar with. Captain material exhibited on a thoroughly difficult afternoon.

• I like the point about captain material, as I do feel we have brought in a lot of players with leadership qualities lately, which can only be a good thing!

• @frequentstander agreed Luke was a rock when he moved to the back

• Lots of pish written about formations and positions at times to a point where the players probably struggle at times to know the ask but without playing in a fluid settled system Wheels excels wherever he plays, tidy in possession, good in the air, clever enough to track runs and, works his nuts off, make interceptions and tackles well, let's hope he can stay fit and nail a position.

We could do worse than make him a permanent fixture in central midfield, wide right in a four, or with a bit of work at RWB.

Hope he isn't always thought of as the perfect sub.

• I think Wheeler would make a great Right Wing Back.

• Wheels is an intelligent person and footballer. A rare but valuable combination. If he wants to remain on the game after playing he will make a great manager.