Skip to content

Jack Young leaves on loan

To Ayr United. I honestly thought he'd already gone.

Comments

• Wasn't going to make the first team, so I suppose it's a good move, 🤷‍♂️.

• Best of luck to him. Looked in great form pre season. Hopefully he'll push on and come back ready for our 1st team.

• Good luck to him. Can't help but wonder if the long term contract has been a bit of an albatross around his neck. Hopefully he'll get plenty of playing time and be a real contender in the second half of the season.

• Good luck Jack! I am sure it will be a relief to get on the pitch. Good luck to Ayr too!

• It's interesting that the only central midfielder who competed against Bloomfield for playing time that still remains in the squad now is Josh Scowen.

• Why is that interesting?

• We've seen how Matt wants a very different style of midfield to Ainsworth, one confident at receiving the short pass, playing neat triangles and moving the ball through the thirds rather than over them. By changing all the personnel it suggests Matt wasn't confident the players could adapt to his system. He would've known the central midfielders better than any other set of players, after all.

I was forgetting Wheeler though, who may well slot perfectly into Matt's system when he returns from injury.

• Jack is on the bench today, along with Ollie Pendlebury, as the Honest Men host Dundee United.

• Jack Young on for Ayr.

• Ayr United v Partick Thistle live on BBC Scotland tonight (and via iPlayer). Might watch a bit to see how Jack’s doing.

• The Ayr fans are quite impressed by what they've seen of Jack so far.

Sadly, Ollie Pendlebury, who was also with Ayr, had his contract terminated by mutual consent when he asked to be released a few weeks ago having failed to settle up there.

• I watched a bit of the Ayr game last night, interspersed with the Southampton v Leicester game.

Ayr didn’t really deserve to lose 0-4 at home but that sort of result often happens when you’re struggling. Ayr were certainly nowhere near as bad as Southampton were.

Jack was largely good. As we’ve seen in brief glimpses of him he was always keen to get on the ball and rarely gave it away. Like a young Michael Simpson. There’s certainly something to work with there.

However, he was partially to blame for both the second and third goals having not closed a shooting player down sufficiently for the former and then allowing the same player to skip past him too easily for the latter.

All part of the learning experience.

• Watched the lot on IPlayer @ stupid o'clock this morning. Generally concur with @Theatre_of_Chairs regarding Jack Young. I felt he was a bit of a headless chicken though, possibly because he was desperate to impress. Whilst I agree that he rarely gave the ball away, he never really gave that killer pass that Ayr needed though that could be because nobody was making the run?

The lad Chalmers impressed me with his ball carrying skills and appeared to ghost past defenders, (very much like Garath McCleary), however the big let down was that he couldn't finish, which maybe why he is playing at the level he is?

• Jack Young has returned following the end of his loan.

• We do need some bodies in midfield but not sure Jack is the answer. 19 games, 11 starts at Ayr and they are in the relegation zone in the Championship.

Will be interesting to see what happens next.

• edited January 16

He was quite well thought of up there. I think he might have stayed if the Ayr manager hadn't been sacked yesterday after a disappointing run of just one win in eleven league games.

• edited January 16

Sounds familiar. From what I remember of Jack Young’s brief cameo performances he showed potential as a hard working tenacious midfielder, perhaps in a similar mould to Josh Scowen. “Controlled midfield against Long Crendon”. Well, yes !!

Another personable, articulate young man. I’d definitely have him back. Apart from anything else, to hear him with that delightful Geordie voice and accent on Co-coms would be terrific.

https://www.google.com/gasearch?q=jack%20young%20wycombe&tbm=&source=sh/x/gs/m2/5#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:462efc81,vid:BJuVmK7OSGU,st:0

Reckon I underplayed the creativity. But of course, we’d need to be the judge of that.

• edited January 16
  • Big opportunity for him, arguably he’s only got Josh Scowen ahead of him for the midfield disruption role.

• FWIW I was quite impressed with the limited showing Jack Young had during pre season. Looked one of the best players on the pitch against Wealdstone and was then loaned out a few days later. Would be delighted to see him push on.

• Agree, he looked very good against Wealdstone, I was really surprised when we subsequently loaned him out a few days later. He certainly outshone Breckin that day by a considerable margin.

Seemed to do well at Ayr, so good to have him back in my opinion.

• I'd be quite happy for Jack and Christie Ward to get a few chances here with us, we won't know til they get the odd game will we ?

Could either of them play left back do you reckon ?

• Interested that you mentioned Breckin as he has been loaned out to another club since going back. I wonder if Man City are re-evaluating their thoughts on it OR they can't find a club for him to go to!

• Luca Woodhouse can play on the left can't he? Is he injured or on loan somewhere?

• Thought Luca played really well when coming on against Wimbledon.

Personally, I'd be happy with JJ and Leahy as starters and Luca as back up at left back.

However, I think MB isn't sure about JJ. Hence, Leahy playing there and Wheeler starting center mid. So I suspect we may see a left back arrive this window.

• I thought Luca was pretty solid at left back too. Nothing flashy, just solidly doing the job.

• Yes I’d certainly like to see Jack Young get a chance between now and the end of the season given we’re not exactly overrun with central midfielders and he’s under contract for next season.

As others have said he was terrific in the Wealdstone match, the best player on the pitch. A bit of a cross between Scowen and Potts - willing to do the scuttling bit but also comfortable on the ball and able to link up play. If we’d signed him on loan from a Premier League club that week everyone would have been raving about him.

I thought he’d pencilled his name into the team sheet for the opening weekend, but within a matter of days we’d signed Potts and Breckin and he was no longer in MB’s plans.

Pretty tough on him really, it must have been hard to take. That he’s gone away and done well at Ayr - whose supporters seem genuinely disappointed to see him go - is a credit to him.

It is a real problem with the strategy of signing so many loan players that in doing so we stifle the development of our players. We also need to be careful about the impact that has on the dressing room, especially when you read those comments from Wolves about us promising to play Chem Campbell almost every week.

• Ward and Young should be given a chance but that is something that blooms will not do, as they were GA signings, he wants to try being his own man ....he will eventually get sacked once the new investors come in...they must look at his record and win ratio and think how is it that he has not been sacked already.....because Rob is stubborn...and would prefer to go against fans ....

• Didn't Bloomfield literally just re-sign on loan a guy that Ainsworth first brought in?