Skip to content

We will finish.....

124»

Comments

• For me, the disappointing thing about the timing of GAs departure was that he had honed the tactical side of things pretty much to perfection. Those home wins against Derby and Bolton were superb performances and tactically spot on with the limited resources at his disposal.

It was always going to be a difficult act to follow so it’s a little unfair I think to measure MB against him on those few weeks he had in charge.

• I said on another thread that we will finish second, and have no reason to change that.

If ever there was a season to get promoted to the Championship, this is it. 24/25 will see all that Sky money flooding in, with increased TV exposure which will be more attractive to sponsors.

I have no idea about the finances, but it seems that the high quality signings and loans we have made, signal that RC has given Matt the tools he needs to get the job done, and the ambition is there. It all starts with a win against Exeter on Saturday,

Three of the big spending teams from last season have gone up, and we have shown previously that we have nothing to fear from the likes of Derby, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Bolton and Peterborough.

Just do it!

• We'll see in a month or so which teams have got it right but there's still a lot of teams in L1 with much bigger crowds and budgets. Admittedly a few are basket cases.

Think the likes of Charlton will be better and have come in under the radar a bit. Usually one or two of the larger clubs will come good and there will be similar clubs to us that do well.

2nd isn't completely impossible if we get on a good run but it would be an amazing achievement and there's no shame at all at going a few games without a win or finishing anywhere in the top half.

• It's pre-season so optimism can ride high.

But 2nd? With some of the other teams in the league? Seems a bit madly optimist.

• There are a good few teams who still look considerably stronger than us, but I think our recruitment should put us in the play-off scrap.

• In the club competition I predicted we would finish fourth and fully expect Pete and Rob to be turning up at Wendoverman Towers to present the trophy live on Ringing the Blues.

• This is what BBC Three Counties says about our chances:

"Wycombe Wanderers – Squad unpredictability exciting fans

League One (2022-23: 9th)

Sam Avery

BBC Three Counties Radio's Wycombe commentator

It feels like a new era. His appointment may have come in February, but Matt Bloomfield has now been given a summer transfer window to mould the Chairboys squad into his own. Several players have arrived on loan, with a seemingly good blend between youth and experience.

This summer saw the departures of long-serving midfielders Dom Gape, Curtis Thompson and Nick Freeman, while Lewis Wing swapped Buckinghamshire for Berkshire with a move to Reading. This forced a mini-rebuild, with an emphasis on freshening up the midfield.

It is possibly the first season in a long time where fans are a little unsure on what the current squad are realistically capable of. Of course there is optimism, but the potential unknown of what to expect this campaign has excited supporters, who are keen to back Bloomfield and his new-look Wycombe."

• Looking back at this and 90% of us will be disappointed with our current League position of 14th.

If we can keep a decent run going then realistically we can hope for no better than 10th.

I’d be delighted with Top Half after the season we’ve had.

• For a club of our size the number one priority is 'Dont get relegated' and the realistic second priority is 'Have a cup run'.

Mission accomplished!

(The exclamation mark is doing a lot of work there)

• A League One team mid table in League One. I mean it's not our rightful place in the Championship and means we lose a few games but that's what I was expecting (while hoping for playoffs) and Wembley is a bonus.

• I was hoping for better than mid table. The Couhigs backed Blooms with new players and a host of top flight loanees.

• edited March 13

we can all hope for better than mid-table mi duck, but given that there are also 24 other teams, some with more resources, most wanting to be mid-table or above, and this is football, it's just not the disaster some would have it be.

Other opinions are available...as at least one person will soon indicate! 😉

• Not an opinion. A fact. There are only 23 other ‘teams’ competing with us. Easier than you thought.

• I told you I was no good at numbers @micra

• @trevor was spot on. "Maybe 12th if we are lucky."

• But he still seemed so very angry to be proved right (for a period anyway. I assume he's on his holidays.)

• Given our poor attendances and subsequent lack of atmosphere and income we do remarkably well to compete so effectively at this level. We rarely have an uneventful season and four playoff finals in our time in the EFL is testament to our achievements. We now have another trip to Wembley (minus the supporter who would rather twiddle his/her thumbs that day) and we are on course to finish above clubs who have been been around as professional outfits much longer than we have.

• It’s always been exciting ever since that meeting you had with the great MON in that toilet 🤦🤦. Sorry, only joking. 👍

• edited March 13

For a points target to feel completely safe, here is the stats around the 21st placed finisher's total:

53 points - historically unprecedented (as far back as I checked - 30 years), so happy days.

52 points - only happened once in 30 years (and that was 30 years ago), and our goal difference would likely still see us safe.

51 points - only happened twice in 30 years (most recent almost 20 years ago), and our goal difference would likely still see us safe.

50 points - happens fairly often (3 in last ten years), but with our goal difference, still probably safe.

49 points - would have been safe 6 of last 10 years, and level in another.

48 points - would have been safe 6 of last ten years.

47 points - would have been safe 4 of last ten years, and level in two others.

The average points the 21st placed team has gone down with in the last 30 years is 47.8 points.

In the last ten years, the average points the 21st placed team has gone down with in the last 30 years is 46.8 points.

So I would put the "almost definitely safe" celebration at 50, and the "officially safe" mark at 53.

I don't think anyone is worried any more, I just had time on my hands!

• Interesting stuff @Shev. Thank you.

It will be a wonderful feeling when we reach 53 points and everyone can relax.

But the fact that, realistically, the playoffs are out of reach is no doubt a major factor in the very disappointing home attendances.

• My pre-season prediction was 8th-10th, I saw this as very much a transition season, though the winless run was not something I expected.

We still have the spine of a strong side, I think Potts will be the biggest miss next season, not sure he’s ready for West Ham’s first team but even if he is available for loan again, I’d expect him to go to a Championship side next time.

I think the biggest question mark for next season will be our forward presence and how we improve our scoring. I am pro-Vokes in general, but I just don’t think we get the best out of him, so I wonder if we will be looking to re-sign as it stands.

We would also be expecting Hanlan back at some point, which will be a plus, but he’s never been prolific.

• I’m certain that Sam Vokes won’t be re-signed for next season. He can no longer justify his income.

• He'll be off

• Uche is available again at the end of the season…

• … off Reading.

Too soon?