Skip to content

Things you pretended to know, but really didn't

13»

Comments

• I must admit I did think, given the powerful guitar driven arrangement, the angst ridden urgency in the vocal and the involvement of police sirens, Babylon was possibly burning with a little more than anxiety.

• I thought Super Hans from 'Peep Show' was called Super Hands

• Oh, I was just quoting this as a really random lyric.

• Someone (who will remain nameless as I can't remember who it was) who used to write for the official site managed the impressive eggcorn of turning "tutelage" into "tutor ledge".

• I before E except after C

Oh my, how I misunderstood this phrase. I took the "after C" as every letter from D onwards. I was older enough to know better before the penny dropped. For years I couldn't fathom why almost every ie and ei word broke the rule. And, of course, the exceptions didn't make sense iether.

• Don't beat yourself up.

A surprising amount of adults struggle with when to use ran or run, and more bizarrely, your / you're and they're / their / there.

• edited July 2023

The i before e except after c mnemonic would be much more useful if we were taught the second line

or when sounded as A (as in neighbour or weigh) and weird is just weird.

But even then there are exceptions...

• edited July 2023

I don't know if this was made up, but it makes me smile:

"Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

For more than a decade, I wondered over the meaning of the second part and what was the surreal linkage between the two.

If I said the quote to someone, “Knowledge is power, France is Bacon,” they nodded knowingly. Or someone might say, “Knowledge is power” and I’d finish the quote “France is bacon,” and they wouldn’t look at me like I’d said something very odd, but thoughtfully agree.

I did ask a teacher what did “Knowledge is power, France is bacon” mean and got a full 10-minute explanation of the “knowledge is power” bit but nothing on “France is bacon.” When I prompted further explanation by saying “France is bacon?” in a questioning tone, I just got a “yes.”

At 12 I didn’t have the confidence to press it further. I just accepted it as something I’d never understand.

It wasn’t until years later I saw it written down that the penny dropped."

• The way to Amarillo....

• It may have been his accent, but I'm sure the guy on Antiques Roadshow (who had nicked all that stuff from the fashion store) said 'Keeping it for prosterity.'

Which sounds a bit uncomfortable

• For many many years I was convinced that the phrase "Like a fresh morning dew on a brand new day" in Barry White's My First, My Last, My Everything was actually sung as "Like a footballing dude on gradual pay".

Funnily enough, all the talk on here about players wages only convinced me more that what I thought I was hearing was actually correct.

It often puzzled me why Mr White would choose to sing such a lyric; however if Mr L Richie had sung it, then it would have made much more sense.

• It's a travesty that the Walrus of Love never played Adams Park

• You don't remember John Cornforth?

• edited July 2023

Too young to remember but have heard a fair bit... 90s midfielder who moved only within 'the corn circle'?

• The legend of John Cornforth. He had one hell of a "Robert Huth-esc" freekick! He had a perfect Robert Downey Jr beard while playing for Wycombe!

• You’re really tantalising me, young @Shev !!

I still don’t know, despite wracking what’s left of my enquiring but addled brain, what the correct words were for sculptor and bacon.

Rest of Gasroom as one voice “oh, for God’s sake”.

Or ‘strewth.

• Whoops. Reading it again = Francis Bacon.

Doooh.

• One down. Cheat time now. Google the Elton John song (if I can remember the title.)

• It really is ‘sculptor’. Probably makes sense of your response, @Shev .

Back to sleep.

• Do five consecutive posts constitute a home run (or perhaps a Malone run) ?

Apologies to @davebevan. Poetic license. (Licence??)

• edited July 2023

They constitute a "can you stop spamming and let someone else have a go".

• Afraid I fail on both counts, @Malone.

• You certainly have passed on the filling a page up with a massive screenshot though 🤣

• @micra - the way I see it is that you are such a good conversationalist that you don't need any other participants! 😉

• You saying I talk to myself, mate ? 😩*

Course I do.

* James O’Brien - the ultimate Borisophobe - added ‘mate’ in a delightfully drawled sneering tone at the end of his parting response to a supercilious, sneering caller who’d called him mate several times on LBC recently and I’ve rather taken to using the word myself but the tone, as above, is always, er, matey.

• England est rosbif