Skip to content

Gab Sutton League One 2023/24 predictions

Comments

• Always a good set of predictions. Feels very fair on us. Definitely agree with his Portsmouth & Bolton auto predictions.

• Something never really feels right about Portsmouth, they get a good set of results but then draw at home to a Morecambe etc. The fans down there are always quick to turn.

• Comments on Breckin very encouraging

• Couldn't find his 22/23 predictions but found 21/22.

His top six were

Autos

1st MK Dons - finished 3rd - not promoted

2nd Wycombe - finished 6th not promoted

Playoffs

3rd Ipswich - finished 11th - not in playoffs

4th Sunderland - finished 5th - made playoffs - promoted (grrrr)

5th Charlton - finished 13th - not in playoffs

6th Accrington -finished 12th - not in playoffs

Not overly impressive.

• Oh Dev.

• Can’t get into the Gab Sutton piece despite confirming that I’m over 18. Only just of course.

• FourFourTwo have us 10th, but the print deadline was before we'd made a single signing - some some pessimistic idiot predicted us to finish 15th...

• Thumbs up suggest I wasn’t alone. I eventually twigged that you have to tap the dot on the left hand side as well as “ok”.

• I wonder if Gab was aware of all eight signings. But, the sine qua non is just how good Matt will prove to be as a manager.

í honestly don’t know what that Latin quote means but I hope it’s appropriate.

• Do we know Luke Leahy was on a free?

I can't be that bold about tipping Pompey just yet. 11 signings with a very green manager seems a huge gamble. I do understand the irony in that.

• We paid a fee for Leahy

• Not sure it is. Let’s go for the devil in the detail. I wouldn’t dare introduce woodpiles. Not even at my age.

• Wycombe v Portsmouth fixtures could be key.

• One of my best mates is a Pompey fan, he's not that confident at all ! He reckons it'll be the usual should and could do better, but will be top half and not as good as everyone thinks again.

• I’m rushing. Of course he knew. He only posted a couple of hours ago.

• Anything can happen.in the next nine months.

• His 22/23 predictions were a lot more accurate.

He also makes them weeks before sides have finalised making signings. If you listen to his work he’s clearly one of the most well-researched EFL reporters. I’d argue he’s even more educated than the guys from Not The Top 20 podcast.

• Gab Sutton predicted that MK Dons would win the league last season with 100 points...

• On paper, Portsmouth should go up every season. I sometimes think, being a big club in this division weighs far heavier than being a route one physical side with whom you know what you are going to get.

• I think he’d have mentioned the signing of Dale Taylor if he was writing it now, given that he mentions him as being part of the reason for Burton’s upturn last season.

• We can never be certain as fans, but Shrewsbury made quite a bit of noise about how they'd rejected many bids from us and when they accepted he could go, it was on the understanding that we met their required fee.

• 10th without signings

8th for Gabbo Sutton.

But If the team all gel....

Yep it's time to swing into that wild optimism, hope springs eternal spell before the first game.

• edited July 2023

Lincoln 6th seems a bit of a surprise.

Interesting comments about Fleetwood. Will knowing that their success came partially from money stolen from charities affect them? Probably not.

• Absolutely looking forward to the Cardiff game to support JJ and to see the new players get a run out.

Absolutely looking forward to the Exeter game as that's what it's all about.

Day off so I can get to the Tuesday Leyton game...then I know it's really begun!

• @micra , sine qua non translates literally as 'without which not'.

But I suspect that you knew that anyway, as you used it in the correct context., you cheeky old bugger. Throwing out tongue in cheek comments to bait the Gasroom, something that I would never do ... well, hardly ever.

• edited July 2023

You're not too far from Wycombe are you? I know it's not Wendover (or I think not) but fairly close?

Are you planning on making a massive day of it? Getting to the ground at say 12pm and soaking up the erm atmopshere?

• I work into the evenings in that London @Malone so midweek/rescheduled games require forward planning and leave. I do not intend to walk to Wycombe from the People's Republic Of Wendover pint by pint.

• One of my best mates is a Charlton fan. My late brother was a lifelong supporter and one-time director so, for my League 1 Champions on @Otter87’s New Season Predictions thread, I’m going for the Addicks.