Skip to content

Staffs v Bucks

After day 1 of the 3-day National Counties Championship match, Bucks are in a very strong position. Bucks won the toss & elected to field in blustery, showery conditions.

Staffordshire got off to a flying start but 4 successive wickets by High Wycombe’s A J Woodland saw the home side stumble. A further 3 wickets for no runs conceded by teammate Connor Haddow helped reduce the home side for 206, giving Bucks full bowling bonus points (4).

In reply, Bucks played extremely well to reach 134-3 at the close. Bucks are in a strong position - play resumes at 11am on Monday.

Comments

• Rain, an early lunch & a revised score.

Play has just started at West Bromwich after a morning rain delay. The players took an early lunch & there will now be 2 x 3 hour sessions with play ending at 7.30pm.

The Staffordshire score has been updated from 206 all out to 208 all out after some confusion over 2 runs from an overthrow. It’s cold & breezy at West Bromwich but we now have cricket at last!

• Good little ground there, and a nice pavillion. Have parked there previously for a West Brom game!

Got some great memorobilia of games they've hosted around the bar.

• Very true & a bit of history today too. Bucks wicket-keeper Ross Richardson caught 7 catches in the Staffordshire first innings, equalling a Bucks record. However, it was an outright record for any keeper playing against Staffordshire.

Bucks made 330-8 declared from 88 overs in their first innings. Top scorers were Michael Payne (Amersham) 86 & A J Woodland (High Wycombe) 65. Bucks collected the 4 batting bonus points on offer. In reply Staffordshire are 10-1, still 112 runs behind. Play goes on until 7.30pm.

• Close of play: Staffordshire 70-3, still 52 runs adrift. Well played Bucks.

• As a matter of interest and as you are in the right place to get the answer I am interested to know why Bucks are not involved in a fixture against a first-class county on Sunday. All the other minor counties are if you look at this:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scores-fixtures/2023-07-30 Perhaps there aren't enough to go around? The former Nat West trophy used to throw up some great contests as when Bucks beat Somerset at High Wycombe on June 24th 1987. As a long-time Somerset supporter, I dropped into the ground after work expecting to find Somerset had won just in time to see their last wicket fall for 147, just 3 runs behind Bucks.

• 20 National counties but only 18 first-class counties, so some first-class counties have to play 2 games.

Bucks play Sussex on Tuesday next week, after Sussex play Oxfordshire on Sunday. Unfortunately the game is at Hove though rather than a local Bucks ground, apparently Sussex didn't want to play 2 away games in close succession.

• I now have the answer in your other post about Bucks playing Sussex at Hove on August 1st.

it's still a pity that the Nat West trophy has gone.

• I saw Mike Atherton play for Lancs against Oxfordshire at Aston Rowant and Flintoff against Bucks at Stokenchurch both in the Natwest Trophy. It's a shame those days are gone.

• Staffordshire were bowled out for 232 at lunch on the final day. Bucks have been set a target of 111 to win & are currently 8-0.

I agree with the above posts about the National (Minor) Counties being involved in competitive matches against the first-class counties. It’s not surprising though when all the ECB effort & money is going into the dreaded Hundred!

• BUCKS WON! Chasing a target of 111 to win, Alexei Kervezee (see photo) hit a six to win the match just as the rain started. A terrific win for Bucks against a tough Staffordshire team.

• Scorecard and table:

https://ncca.play-cricket.com/website/results/5617173

https://ncca.play-cricket.com/website/division/110367

Bucks have now won seven 'three day' matches in a row, going back to 2021, and stand 18 points clear at the top. Good times.

Staffs captain James Kettleborough, a very good batter, is the nephew of Howard, who scored 16 goals for the Chairboys in 1976-77.

In the other game in this Division today, Lincs and Suffolk drew, a good result for Bucks.

• I love these updates of "local" cricket.

Thank you and please keep doing them.

And @wingnut that Nat West game v Somerset is legendary! An I was there moment.