Skip to content

Friday Football

After a couple of months of no games we’ve suddenly got two games in one day tomorrow with a lunchtime match against Arsenal U21s being followed by an evening match at Hanwell Town.

Presumably it’ll be the first team at London Colney for the behind closed doors match with the Gunners and the development team at Hanwell in the evening.

Comments

• Maybe we can pick up a few Arsenal U21 loanees as a result of this match?

• Mellor scored which is a good sign

• Was he wearing a Chelsea kit?

• edited July 2023

Stop it guys, I just did some sick in my mouth

• Mellor scored from a Pattenden cross. Throw in a few TJ goals and that'll do for the Pizza Cup games for me.

• Maybe they're no better than we've already got 😀

• TBF if anyone was any good, they were be aboard with the 1st team on one of their pre-season tours?

• Hanwell Town 3-0 Wycombe Wanderers at half-time. Men against boys (but not Boyes alas) so far.

• A. TRIALIST X 10 and our kids no doubt....

Anyone bother to go who can shed any light?

• Does anyone know our lineup?

• I went but I can’t really tell you anything about our team. They looked like 15-16 young players fresh out of other clubs academies who’d barely met each other let alone formed a cohesive team.

Must be hard for the youngsters, they’re all desperate to earn a contract but I can’t imagine Sam Grace took much from that. In fact, we barely made a chance in the whole match.

No-one really stood out if I had to pick anyone it would be a particularly well built no.3 who played as a holding midfielder in the first half and a centre-half in the second. He had enough physical power and understanding of his roles to suggest he could potentially develop into a first team footballer.

However, they all deserve a few more chances before any decisions are made, hopefully they’ll put on a better show next time.

• Hopefully someone sang to Hanwell "You're nothing special, we just met this week."

• I think they’re playing Flackwell Heath next. They’ll probably get more of a game.

• Reaction to the match v Arsenal U21s. From the club's website...

Matt Bloomfield says he’s thrilled to have welcomed four new faces to Adams Park this week and says patience has paid off after a summer of intensive work in the transfer market from him and his staff.

The Blues boss watched on as Richard Keogh, Kian Breckin, Luke Keahy and Harry Boyes pulled on the quarters for the first time in Friday’s 1-0 friendly win over Arsenal Under 21s, with newest recruit Kane Vincent-Young not yet ready for match action, and said plans are coming together nicely ahead of the League 1 season.

“It’s been a very busy time,” he told WanderersTV. “It looks like it’s been a busy week but really it’s been six to eight weeks of hard work, time and dedication from everyone, including Scott Mitchell, Tom Holder, Pete Couhig, Richard Thomas, Ben Cirne and the whole team.

“We’ve spent lots of hours working on these deals and we’re really pleased with how well they’ve been received, because we want to be able to please the fans.

“We’re delighted with the signings we’ve made, all really good players at different ages and stages of their career. Richard feels like he’s been with us for 10 years, Luke is a diamond of a guy, Brecks and Boyesy are early in their careers but lovely lads who want to get their careers up and running, and I’ve known of Kane for a few years now and my cousins who are Ipswich fans are buzzing because they know what a top signing he is for us.”

“We hope to have more news soon; I don’t want all my attention to be on new signings because I’m lucky to have the squad we’ve already got, and it’s about complementing them and not replacing them. We want the strongest group possible, living within our means, and I have to say I’m starting to get excited about what’s ahead.”

And reflecting on the 1-0 friendly win, he added: “It wasn’t imperative to get the win but it’s always nice. It was good for lads from a fitness perspective as well as tactically and socially, integrating new signings into the team.

“It was a really good runout and I’m grateful to Arsenal for putting us up today. The ball was zipping around and we were able to implement some things we’ve been working on, so I’m really pleased.”

• I like the bus. I can't see that WWFC gave this match any mention at all. Were any of the players registered, if not, can it really be called a Wycombe XI?

• Thought the 3 (was standing near Sam, he called him Freddie) looked better when he went from CM to CB and he looked alright for the most part. Other than that, liked the look of the left back (called Jack) who looked technically good and the guy who played right back first half, centre mid second (called Taylor I think) who added some incentive passing to the side. To be fair too, there was a CM/CAM (called Daniel) wearing number 21 shorts that did some good things when he came on and showed some nice touches.

Would be interesting to know if Sam saw much potential out there though, as it was a disjointed performance by our team but hopefully he took some positives out.

• Yes agree on the left back, I thought he had a good first half in which he showed a bit of intent going forward too. He faded in the second half a bit but by then we were struggling all over the park. Certainly worth persevering with.

I also quite liked the left sided centre-half, the number 18, who was taken off at half-time. He seemed to know how to defend (albeit we let three goals in during the first 45 mins!).

• Perhaps the bus will be food for thought for Oxford. If it’s a bit too expensive for them maybe Hanwell will lend them theirs if they don’t have a home match?

• Our analytics team obviously misread the matrix (not sure what that means if anything). Loosing 7-0 to a team they ‘anticipated would park the bus’ was nothing to do with playing five across the back, more to do with available hospitality facilities.