Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield - doing good.

There has been a lot of comments recently about the seeming lack of activity in the transfer window, and doubts expressed about whether or not he could get in good loans and experienced players. Now, two loan players, one of which seems ideal for the left side of the defence, along with an experienced central defender and two goal scoring midfielders, he is proving the doubters wrong. He seems to have signed up either direct replacements for those who have left or filled gaps which have been there for sometime. There are also good reports coming out of the training ground, so perhaps our expectations for this season should be upped to play-offs at least?

Comments

• edited July 2023

We may take time to gel with all the transition, but a strong team is there on paper, at least starting XI, and the mere fact both Breckin and Leahy were 'surprises' (to us and fans of other clubs) is an indication of some sterling work!

• Top 10 finish without a doubt. However, if you are a betting man, put £50 on Pompey at 3/1 to be promoted. They have put together a very good squad.

• edited July 2023

For me perfectly fine to hope for playoffs or above.

Expecting play-offs seems a bit of a high bar to me - there are some big clubs in this division and we must remember that MB is fairly new to his role and hence needs to learn and not all new players are likely to live up to expectations.

I'll be expecting somewhere around 9-12th but hoping for something a bit better.

Of course those expecting play offs or above will be able to steal a march in this seasons score prediction contest which I hope to launch fairly shortly....

• One thing is for sure: these signings (especially given their expected level) make the season much more exciting than it was a week ago!

• Checked in on the Sheffield United forum, and Boyes was another one who apparently had expectations surrounding him of a loan higher up, so we are 3/3 for the week, as far as coups.

Oh, and they still hate Ainsworth.

• The thing about football is...anything could happen. This could be the worst or the best team we've ever seen...or just bang average League One side...which is why we love it so.

I hope for the playoffs...or at least to be safe at Christmas

(I think yet again bookies favourite 'big club' Pompey will fail to get promoted...on no credible basis at all.)

• Couple more signings like that and I’ll take the promotion bandwagon in for an oil change…

• The sort of young player we are bringing in and info like a closed doors pre season vs Arsenal U-21’s suggests we may be treated to some really attractive football this season. Gormania anyone?

• I see another roller coaster season ahead.

The question is...have any of these signings got those potential Season Ticket holders holding out for announcements before coughing up all excited and spendy?

• I'm dubious. Getting a lot of new faces in, during one window, with a young manager, is a recipe for disaster.

Sure I'll be proven wrong for that.

• Be really nice to play Gormania football. We should expect some bumps in the road if we do but it would be lovely to watch and refreshing. Come on Matt 👍👍

• And no endless sideways passing between the back four. And a back-up plan if the pretty football fails.

• With the transition we will go through, I genuinely would be delighted if we were 10th-12th at Christmas with the expectation that we would continue to improve as the season progresses and the January window opens, and crashing the playoffs at the back end of the season

• When do you think was our WORST transfer window? Don't reflect on how it all panned out, but genuinely - when do you remember getting to September 1st and thinking... we're screwed?

• That Peter Taylor season when he signed anyone who walked past the gates of AP - his son in law, that ex Arsenal player who wanted to launch a clothing range and many others even less memorable. What a mess that was.

• Oh yeah, the window of Steve Hayes taking over properly. Luke Oliver, Stuart Green, Steven Westlake et al. Dreadful.

Also, the season after we got relegated from League 1, and the Trust took over. Had an embargo for a little while, and our first announcement was Richard Logan

Wasn't too enamoured by the window after we missed out on L2 promotion. Garry Thompson didn't inspire excitement.

• Ian Westlake?

But yes, add Michael "not just making up the numbers" Duberry and it was pure relegation from day 1.

• Not quite sure who Steven is.

• Before all the signings came in and we were moaning - we still had a VERY strong squad.

Vokes on his day is one of the best in the league.

As is McCleary.

As is Scowen.

As is Taff.

As is Stryek.

I think we will be just fine.

• The first 11 was looking pretty decent bar a starter centre mid.

Now we've got all these new signings the combos could be really interesting.

• edited July 2023

Its going to be a transitional season for sure... but... I'm quietly a little happy and excited with the business done so far.

On paper.... its shaping up to be a very decent squad.

Having said that id happily take mid table to 8th....

If we sneak a playoff spot this season I will be over the moon.

• When we turned up at Bolton last season without a first team keeper. Man U really gave us the run around regarding Bishop and we took time getting Max in, which cost us dearly.

• That was a miserable day away at Norwich, still painful 😖.

• edited July 2023

Yes. Still traumatised by them literally just walking a late goal in past Westwood.

I've totally forgotten the name of our Prince Harry lookalike striker but I do remember he scored an incredible goal that day. And a double to boot.

Such a bad day to score 2.

Reminds me a bit of being in a hospital with one of the folks on the opening day of a mid to late 90 season when we lost by the same 2-5 scoreline.

I had to keep making trips to check Teletext on the communal lounge tv.

Scott with 2 if I recall correctly.

An odd game where we had a lot of praise and were unlucky to get smashed?!

• Matt Harold?

• Matt harrold