Skip to content

Bucks v Norfolk 3 day Championship match July 9th-11th

On Sunday July 9th Bucks start their National Counties Championship season with a 3 day match v Norfolk at Tring Park Cricket Club. Play will commence at 11am each day & conclude at 7pm.

Having won promotion last season this will be a big test for Bucks. Entry is free but there will be scorecards & a raffle each day to purchase. If you wish to park in the ground it’s best to use the entrance on Station Rd. Food and refreshments will be available in the pavilion. Tring Park is a lovely ground to watch cricket & is thoroughly recommended if you want to see some high-quality cricket.

Comments

• The 12-man Bucks squad has been announced for Sunday’s 3-day championship match at Tring Park (11am start):

• Bucks won the toss & elected to field. After 10 overs Norfolk are 30-1 on a very green-looking pitch.

• I’d love to be there @A_Worboys but my exposure to the sun over the past few years has been so subliminal that anything more than a couple of hours would be risky.

The lineup for Bucks intrigues me. Given the clubs they represent, I’m surprised that there are (seemingly) no Asian players.

Also wondered how someone playing for Halesowen (and former Netherlands skipper) qualifies to represent Bucks.

Halesowen Town beaten 5-0 in a home Friendly against Crewe Alexandra yesterday.

• @micra You can always sit under the trees at the Town End.

The young Asian players like Aadi Sharma have been snapped up by Northamptonshire so rarely get a Bucks outing these days. Mo Choudhry (Amersham) and Hashan Ramadanapulle (Buckingham) often feature for Bucks.

• Norfolk 95-3 from 32 overs.

• In the 45th over Norfolk have now slumped to122-7.

• Unusual scenes at Tring Park as a swarm of wild bees flew across the ground. The players had to lie face-down as the swarm passed by.

• That happened when I was playing at Tylers Green many years ago. I and another player took refuge in a corrugated iron "Khasi" down in the far corner of the ground. Most just lay flat.

• Thanks for that. I must try to get over there before too long. I’m guessing Alexie Kervezee will be a major contributor to a Bucks winning total.

• Norfolk making a fightback at the tea interval. Norfolk 238-7 (Metcalf 78 not out).

• In their 90 overs Norfolk recovered from 122-7 to finish on 299-9. Bucks will now bat until the close at 7pm this evening. Play will resume at 11am tomorrow.

• Bucks finished on 38-2 from 18 overs, having lost Mo Choudhry & Chris Farrow early on. Day 2 commences at Tring Park Cricket Club on Monday morning at 11am.

• Sounds as if it’s going to be as tense tomorrow as the Test was this afternoon.

• In the 72nd over Bucks bowled out for 251, 48 runs behind Norfolk’s first innings. Top scorers for Bucks were Alexei Kervezee (76) and High Wycombe’s A J Woodland (55).

A beautiful day for watching cricket at Tring but heavy rain forecast overnight. Hopefully it will clear up before tomorrow’s scheduled start at 11am.

• Play will resume at 10:30 tomorrow after play was curtailed, due to drizzle and bad light.

Norfolk are 105-3, 153 ahead. Rain is forecast overnight but should clear before play starts.

https://www.play-cricket.com/website/results/5617168

• At lunch Norfolk are 185-8 and lead by 233. Conner Haddow has taken four wickets this innings, to add to his five in the first. The match is interestingly poised, a chase of 250 is possible. Rain is forecast in the next hour.

• Norfolk all out for 195 off 78.5 overs. Another fifer for Haddow.

Bucks need 244 to win.

• We have an exciting match in prospect at Tring Park! In their second innings Norfolk have been bowled out for 195, with High Wycombe left-arm spinner taking another five wicket haul to add to his five wickets in the first innings.

Bucks have now been set a target of 244 to win from 61 overs.

• Four an over then!

• Slight error from me. Because Norfolk were bowled out mid-over there are 60 overs left not 61.

After 10 overs Bucks are 12-0. A tricky start but no wickets lost!

• Chasing 244 to win from 60 overs, at the halfway stage Bucks are 101-1 (A J Woodland 61 not out) & (Chris Marrow 19 not out).

• The final hour’s play is about to begin. A minimum of 17 overs must be bowled. Chasing 244 to win Bucks are 165-3. The not out batsmen are Woodland (86) & Payne (17).

• 48 required from 11 overs

Youtube link if anyone wants to follow the closing stages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBEK7Icu73o

• With 10 overs to go Bucks have moved on to 207-4, chasing 244. A J Woodland was out for 91. The not out batsman are Payne (36) & Richardson (16).

• Bucks win! With 5 overs & 3 balls left Mike Payne hit a boundary to bring up a Bucks win & his own 50. Great game and very nerve-racking as the ground was surrounded at the end by dark blue rain clouds.

In the other match in the group, Staffordshire beat Suffolk by 51 runs.

• Thanks for that YouTube link @Croider ! Sat and watched the end of that, nice little cricket bonus I wasn't expecting

• A very good win as Norfolk were probably the happier camp at the start of play today. They didn't score enough runs and Bucks batted assuredly to win comfortably.

In a league of only four matches each, a win puts you in a strong position. Bucks took 22 out of 24 points, missing out on two batting points. In the other game in this division, Staffs beat Suffolk by 51 runs and collected the full 24 points.

Very fortunate with the weather, the rain forecast at lunchtime was all around Tring but not over it. In the final hour it poured down in Aylesbury, a few miles away, but Tring remained dry.

Scorecard:

https://www.play-cricket.com/website/results/5617168

Table:

https://buckscricket.play-cricket.com/website/division/110367