Skip to content

Access Road: Bucks Council confirm no formal planning application

I've now had a response to my FOI request, and the Council have confirmed that, whilst there have been some pre-planning enquiries, no formal application has been submitted by WWFC.

Full response letter here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/akqfbb396der0p7/Bucks%20CC%20Response%20%28Redacted%29.pdf?dl=0

Comments

• Your summary is certainly a much easier read than their letter 🤯

• I reckon someone should ask Rob about this at the next meeting. He seems to really enjoy these types of questions on the spot.

• so what is going on then?

• Rob did say in his interview with Phil that it was all still at the pre-planning stage, so this is no great surprise.

Rob implied that he couldn't understand why you can't just build a private road on your own (Dashwood that is) private land.

Seems like either noone told him, or he failed to listen to any advice given him about it being AONB/greenbelt and therefore quite probably not achievable. Then again Rob seems to not have the work can't in his dictionary.

• You'll be saying we don't actually offer the best matchday experience in the country next.

• edited June 2023

You can probably do just that when you have huge land and no-one can view it.

And it'll only be used for Jeeves floating around in some low key vehicle.

Not so much when it's a highly visible site that you're expecting to be able to hold 100s of cars every week.

• This is why the powers that be need to read the Gasroom. There were no end of people on here making exactly this point (about the minor difficulty of concreting over the AONB) when Rob announced it.

Indeed, it's almost like the whole thing was timely, targeted hot air.

• Not going to happen, full of hot air

• We need @DevC's advice on this so it can be passed on to Rob!

• Has the planning application for the Skyline Chairlift been put in yet though?

• All this talk of hot air has me imagining passenger balloon taxis...

• It's a shame people seem so anti park and ride schemes, as those are an easy solution.

But everyone wants to be able to drive within 200metres of the ground.

• A well organised and well resourced bus in decent weather is great. Waiting for a solitary 1980s double decker in the pissing rain in November following a 0-2 home defeat is less appealing.

• I know this is all facetious, but I did look at the cost of chairlifts. Per this article, it is not unusual for a resort ski lift to cost more than $20 million here in the States. Now., I expect that would be massively inflated by having to do construction on a steep mountain, but even if you take a quarter of that for a flatter Chairboy lift, that would be several million still. However, if we can haggle that down to 1-2 million?

How Much Does a Ski Lift Cost to Build? [$75k per chair?] | New To Ski

• Will be turned down on the grounds of the environmental impact on the Adams Park partridges!

• Regardless of whether the road is mainly on AONB / green belt land, it has to connect with the public road network at some point, presumably West Wycombe Road / A40.

Therefore, a formal planning application has to go in to the Council before any further progress can be made.

• There are numerous second hand chairlifts available as ski resorts constantly up grade to speed traffic. I’ve made enquiries about a lift for the entrance to the museum of curiosities, it’s at pre-planning stage but will update just as soon as the fan base needs to know more (either that or I’ve nothing meaningful to say so will filibuster if @bluntphil corners me for an impromptu interview).

• Always been happy to walk a mile or so to the ground.

Problem is that all the options next to the ground are now so expensive, you end up having to arrive ridiculously early to have a chance of a space.

Pre-Couhigs anything before 2pm was ok, now 12.45-1pm is pushing it.

• Indeed,but pre-planning process should address any issue so that when submitted the planning application is less likely to fail.

For example RC mentioned that a potential issue raised was what happened if someone drove up the road without a car park pass. His reply was that they'd have to drive the extra 150m and exit the car park without stopping (or words to that effect).

Anyway my point was that RC confirmed it was still at pre-planning stage. However, in a jokey reply to Phil he said something like "He still expects it to happen although if Neil Peters(?) was seen laying down in the road something had failed. RC was still very much pinning his colours to the flag that it would happen (sometime).

I can say that back in the day the Trust did look at trying to create an additional access route just for emergency service vehicles. If successful it would have allowed the licensed ground capacity to have been increased. I believe the initiative failed because they couldn't persuade the Dashwood estate as they wanted to be able to build houses served by the access road.

I've no idea what, if anything, has changed since then. Maybe nothing?

• The problem with any park and ride scheme is that it would involve many people in driving more miles to the park and ride than going direct to AP.

For example I live at the bottom of Hatters Lane, I'm not driving to Hazlemere/Handy Cross to catch a bus to AP. Besides which I'm happy to stay for an hour after the game for a drink with family I otherwise don't see. Park and ride schemes often don't accommodate that level of flexibility.

• I assume getting back to the Championship is also in the planning stage.

• Well Hazlemere obviously would be ridiculous for anyone in Wycombe.

But Handy Cross should work well and capture a lot of the motorway crew.

I used to sometimes use the bus from Handy Cross until they changed it to the first pick up, meaning you'd be on there an hour!

• Guys, if you want to know the up to date details on the road and it's application status, just ask me! I have a family member who works in the Planning Permission department for the council so they can let me know whats happening.

• You lot seem to be forgetting that Wycombe has a tory council, and therefore a planning application just looks like this.

• Sprinkle a few g in there and you're golden

• Think we already found out with this thread..

Nothing.