Skip to content

Gape going

Hadn't realised he'd been here 7 years.

Sad to see him go, but possibly the right call all round?

Real changes ahead in that centre mid area then. Lost Freeman, Gape, Wing and Thompson!

Comments

• Another big personal fave gone. Good luck to Dom both on his fitness and finding a new club. If he can sort the former the latter should be no problem.

"Gape... goal!" is etched in Wycombe folklore.

• That's going to leave a gaping hole in the squad

• Reserving judgment on all the playing staff change until about December.

I just hope Dom stays fit and gets a starting role in another top side. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Wrexham colours.

• I heard Wrexham were interested

• Super player in that disruption role. We had Gape, Thompson and Gape playing that role with Gaz. Now there’s opportunities or a sign that we will be playing a quite different style.

• I’m really sad, but it’s probably for the best.

• Always sad to see a good player go...but we've had to manage without him for a long stretch.

Like @frequentstander I'm reserving my judgement to the changes until the ball is being kicked about.

Look out for my 'I knew that was a wrong/excellent decision at the time but was frightened to post on here as I knew I would be cancelled.' post some time in the New Year.

• edited May 2023

On one hand there was a time it felt like an incredible coup to be able to sign and keep him.

On the other hand he's barely featured for a couple of seasons.

• Ah, another sad day. Hopefully it is a happy day for him as he has a plum role lined up - he deserves it! Losing both of that axis of Curtis and Dom in a couple of weeks is really sad, as it is also tied to how much of their careers have been lost to injury.

I wish Dom nothing but the best. Absolute legend!

JJ now last man standing from 2017/18.

• Good luck Dom, I hope your injury woes are behind you.

I've heard there's a player called Curtis Thompson available who I reckon could perform that job admirably though.

• Gutted that we never saw a long run of Scowen with either. I thought we looked the best away to Barnsley last season, and that was Scowen and Gape together.

• It's seemed inevitable we wouldn't start next season with both Curtis & Dom, given their injury records, but to see both depart is sad.

Hopefully they are able to prove their fitness and get new contracts elsewhere. They have been part of the most successful period in our history. Good luck whatever comes next.

• Sad to see Dom leave, he has most definitely made some great memories. Thought one of he or Curtis would stay. Really hope Blooms didn’t release Curtis thinking Dom was going to sign.

Maybe it’s time for Jack Young to shine

Good luck Dom

• I thought you would have been voting for the one and only TJ to play in that role @drcongo

• Only joking.

• Wouldn't mind seeing Dennis Adeniran back in that midfield... Surely his contract at Wednesday wasn't for more than 2 years...

• Sad to see him go, but we will always have Chesterfield

• edited May 2023

All the best Dom, shame the last couple of years have been how they have. Some great memories

• There can be few things worse than talent blighted by injury. At least Gape may be healthy now, given he was on the bench at Portsmouth.

On another note, someone on Twitter pointed out who Chesterfield's goalie was that day...Aaron Ramsdale. That may be old news to you all, but I had never realized!

• A really canny manager looking for a tenacious, wily, no-nonsense, all-action fresh central midfield could do far worse than sign both Thompson and Gape and build a team around them. Keep them both fit and it's almost guaranteed promotion.

Maybe even Gareth Ainsworth.

• They have about 10 league starts between them in two seasons. Very sad but no chance Gaz takes either of them. They’re not reliable Championship quality either.

• edited May 2023

He is out of contract next month and the Wednesday fans unanimously don’t want him back judging by their forum.

• When was the last time we actually lineup with Domson as a midfield 2 though?

@ReturnToSenda is that in one of your journals?

• We loved them both, but Gape-Thompson surely doesn't do much as a championship double?

• I'd love to see Adeniran back, thought he was a fabulous player.

• Two of my favourite Wanderers ever and both lovely people who I really hope stay fit and have success in the future but the idea managers in the division above are all eyeing up some of our best performing players are often overstated, Can't be any that want to bring in two players from the same club lower down both with dubious fitness records and very few games played in recent years.

If they both get league clubs at all they will be doing well, and if they can stay fit they'll do great jobs with a chance of rising again.

• Their injuries have been so bad that I am almost wondering if it was the playoff final!

• Agreed. I think one of the biproducts of being at a club that gets the most out of it's players, is that they don't always do as well when they move on.

• Agreed. He looked a real good player in the short time we had him with us.